LegacyGT.com

Rear view mirror fell off

Hopefully after a couple month's I got it to stay glued.

One hot day mid summer I find the mirror hanging by the wire. (auto-dimming mirror). I stop by NAPA and pick a Permatex mirror bond kit. That worked for a about 6 weeks. That was two weeks ago. I hit a hard bump crossing an intersection, the mirror fell again.

I stop by NAPA pick up a Permatex kit. again follow the directions, scrap the black spot, and button with a single edge blade to remove the old glue. prep it with the supplied wipe, wait 2 min's, put a drop of glue on the button and press it on for one minute. Wait 45 min's plus and install the mirror. Let go of the mirror, it fells off...great...

I should say that when the mirror and button fell off when I hit the bump, seems like a piece of the windshield is still stuck to the button. You can see the missing area in the black spot on the glass and the raised piece on the matting surface of the button.

I'll also say this is the 4th windshield in the car.

Last Saturday I went to a different auto parts store and bought 3M two part kit. Scrap the windshield and the button to remove old glue. Wipe both with IPA, follow the directions...3 day's the mirror is still there.

Time will tell.

FWIW, the mirror on the 86 Ford F150 fell off years ago too, may be back about 2006, its doing fine. But its not driven much, under 800 miles in 2 years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The habit of gluing mirrors to the windshield by manufacturers is pretty annoying.

Thermal expansion/contraction difference between glass and the glued part is what can cause it to fail so the glue must be able to handle that. If it once has been glued with the wrong type of glue it may be very hard to get the correct glue to stick correctly.

453747.png

I came back from being on a ship to find my mirror hanging from the wire in June of 2015 and had the local auto glass shop reglue it up for me and its held up fine in the CA heat and the humid cold in WA last winter. I do miss my old GC impreza that the mirror was mounted on a rod that was attached to the headliner and then just came forward and down to wear a glue on mirror would mount.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived