LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

That’s the one thing I don’t have. A chrono. I just know that is the load I came up with that cycles the following guns suppressed.

Glock 19

Ruger SR1911

Beretta 92F

SIG P320

9mm AR-15 with 4” barrel

SIG MPX with 4” barrel

I wanted something quiet for plinking. I am still waiting for my CZ P10C-SR, but I am hoping it cycles those as well. For SD use I plan on loading 147gr JHPs. But right now I am using 124gr+P Winchester Ranger JHPs as my SD rounds.

Your gun club doesn't have a crono?

^you don't reload?

No, not yet.

Our home is quite modest, and while I understand that as long as I don't cast lead, lead-levels really shouldn't be a problem, but as my daughter is still young, I'd just rather not (the same reason why we shoot outdoors).

I would like, to, though.

Practically speaking, the volume that I shoot of .223/5.56 and even 9mm would translate to real-world savings.

Not-so-practically, I think this side of the hobby would hold great enjoyment for me. I'm a benchtop scientist, so you can probably guess why I would love working up loads and reloading. :p:lol: The next house will have HVAC considerations made for reloading.

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Reloading to me looks like a science unto itself from shooting. Any good resources of where to start to learn about it? Want to do it for 5.56 and 7.62 NATO/.308

I keep all of my brass either to sell or if I can learn more about reloading I would start.

If someone could provide a reloading for dummies or reloading 101 material to learn about it, that would be awesome

Pistol and rifle reloading is like the difference between chess and checkers.

Pistol reloading is quite easy. Rifle... requires more equipment and precise measurement.

I'm sure Penguin will chime in. He's much better versed.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Pistol reloading is quite easy. Rifle... requires more equipment and precise measurement.

Necked rounds are always more difficult... not to mention the higher pressures in rifle ammo distorts the shells more... mainly in the neck.

I reloaded .223 for a while. I just don't have the time to make enough rounds to keep up with how fast those guns can shoot them off. I haven't used my multi stage press in a minute. Been sticking to the single stage for mainly .300 win mag. I find it much more enjoyable to take my time with the single stage on a gun that I only shoot 20-30 times per range visit.

1.15 +/- .005

I use X-treme bullets.

I don’t belong to a gun club. I’m a police officer. We have an 80ft range in the basement. We never had a chronograph. If they ever give me any extra in the budget I would like to buy one but I cannot find a way to justify it to management. It’s taken me two years just to get the okay to buy us new guns this summer.

For me I was debating on loading shotgun. Tafladermaus (SP?) sent us to buck and slugs FB group where it seems like you could get away with way less tools than Pistol and Rifle. Pre primed hulls to avoid hazmat fees and already made slugs with powder data if you aren't going to melt down the wally world bird shot and make your own. The shotgun setups you literally could do "on the move" vs dedicating an area of the house or garage/shed to actually perform it vs storage.

My uncles reloaded bird shot when they were members of the board of a local trap club. A guy at the club had the setup to make his own number 7 1/2 bird shot so everyone at the club could get lead shot pretty cheap.

I never really understood reloading shotgun though. Even when they were getting the shot cheap I want to say it still cost them 4 dollars or so a box(25 rounds). I can go to farm n fleet and buy 100 rounds for 22 dollars or a little over 5 dollars a box. All that time and effort to save a dollar per trap round.

The guys that I know that shoot clay pigeon all reload their own. I guess when you're shooting every weekend the savings adds up.

Those that ive talked to that load shotgun did it for the custom loads more then cost savings. The dollar savings comes at the cost of your time and its usually only pennies your saving.

I feel cost savings is hit or mis with loading in general, however being able to create a load specific to you, your gun, and your use is invaluable. Plus you can shoot wacky calibers like 9x25 dillon (want so bad!)

Speaking of reloading and such... anyone seen this?

I dont like the multibore factor (unless maybe they did a polygon) but im always interested at new or unique designs.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Just saying, when I was doing .223 and .40cal I was literally cutting the cost in half compared to purchasing... at the cost of my time sure but the savings was so much greater than when I looked into shotgun. I shot trap at the club every week and most weekends too. 200 rounds or so a week. 300 in a day if it was a tournament weekend.

Just saying, when I was doing .223 and .40cal I was literally cutting the cost in half compared to purchasing... at the cost of my time sure but the savings was so much greater than when I looked into shotgun. I shot trap at the club every week and most weekends too. 200 rounds or so a week. 300 in a day if it was a tournament weekend.

I usually just wait for deals to come around when I can get 5.56/.223 for .25/round or less and buy a thousands at a time. I currently have 15,000 rounds of 5.56 sitting in my closet. I usually buy ammo 1-2 times a year in bulk like that and it lasts me a while. If I’m shooting 200 rounds in a day then I’m lucky that I haven’t gotten tired of shooting. I did that last week, spent 45 minutes zeroing a new red dot and then spent an hour and a half shooting 200 rounds of rapid fire. I was pretty tired at that point.

Buying 7.62/.308 is what i’m not looking forward to, nothing is cheap and rare sales

I got my first gun during this last huge panic. It was harder to find reloading supllies then ammo and the prices were just stupid. I lucked out and worked with someone getting out of loading and i bought a random old school lot for $40 from him - all sorts of odds and ends and a press. then was able to trade the mostly revolver and rifle stuff for pistol stuff as i wanted to start with 9mm. Then waited for killer sales - xtreme was doing free boxes for black friday and I ended up with like 4 free boxes. There was a good 2000 rounds at least that only cost me powder. Pistol is easy enough ill always load it because i prefer my loads. Only pistol i dont load are my carry rounds. But rifle requires enough work i bulk up on it when its cheap so im not at a point where I have to load.

Depending on my intentions one day of shooting can be 500+ rounds. If family or friends go its easily 1000 since they cant seem to buy ammo, yet have guns :spin: but this is also because i usually dedicate a day since i drive up to the forest. I have to set everything up, take it down, then pick up mine and usually other peoples trash - so i make it worth my while.

I think my next caliber to load should be .22lr, my little M&P22c is too fun to shoot. http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/ kidding...

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Depending on my intentions one day of shooting can be 500+ rounds. If family or friends go its easily 1000 since they cant seem to buy ammo, yet have guns :spin:

:lol: :lol: I won't take any family or friends shooting unless they give me money for ammo. I'll do them a solid and get it ahead of time for them so they don't overpay at a range for it.

good on you for getting 500 rounds in a day. Last week I shot 230 rounds of 5.56 one day and 500 rounds of 7.62x39 steel cased another day in my AK. Both days were exhausting

Buying 7.62/.308 is what i’m not looking forward to, nothing is cheap and rare sales

Thats cause you got the wrong 7.62 :p i only pay like $5 for a box of 20 "hunting" rounds.

Thats one of those calibers where it does pay to reload.

:lol: :lol: I won't take any family or friends shooting unless they give me money for ammo. I'll do them a solid and get it ahead of time for them so they don't overpay at a range for it.

good on you for getting 500 rounds in a day. Last week I shot 230 rounds of 5.56 one day and 500 rounds of 7.62x39 steel cased another day in my AK. Both days were exhausting

Well bugger, guess that ruins my joke about you having the wrong 7.62. :lol: The AK is so fun that at a certain point the joy factor over rides the exhaustion and i dont even care that im missing the target - theres a smile on my face

Well bugger, guess that ruins my joke about you having the wrong 7.62. :lol: The AK is so fun that at a certain point the joy factor over rides the exhaustion and i dont even care that im missing the target - theres a smile on my face

For my AK, I use cheap russian steel ammo, AK’s and Tulo ammo go hand in hand. Although I nearly lit my AK on fire rapid firing it last week. Cheap steel and 400 rounds in less than an hour equaled glowing barrel and a wood hand guard that lit started burning :lol: I wish i took pictures but I was too busy freaking out and running to grab water to stop it from burning. Ironically after doing the dumb thing and cooling down a glowing barrel with water, it shot more accurately.

The AR10 will not be getting cheap ammo through it though.

For my AK, I use cheap russian steel ammo, AK’s and Tulo ammo go hand in hand. Although I nearly lit my AK on fire rapid firing it last week. Cheap steel and 400 rounds in less than an hour equaled glowing barrel and a wood hand guard that lit started burning :lol: I wish i took pictures but I was too busy freaking out and running to grab water to stop it from burning. Ironically after doing the dumb thing and cooling down a glowing barrel with water, it shot more accurately.

The AR10 will not be getting cheap ammo through it though.

Thats what I love about AKs, like cast iron, they get better the nastier they are.

I made the mistake of shooting 'Non corrosive' :rolleyes: steel ammo and not cleaning it that night. It rusted. Shot the rust out and its never been better!

Maybe it was shooting the rust by itself :lol:

For a $700 rifle I love this thing. I love everything about the AR Platform but there’s something about an AK that you can appreciate as a gun enthusiast. Also takes a bit of skill to shoot one compared to an AR.