LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

This place is a wealth of good information, thank you guys for walking me through this process.

More shooting to come at the range tonight, and I'll write up next round of thoughts as I try new stuff. Been watching a lot of Ernest Langdon videos (and others), to help with basic grip and stance mechanics.

Let me know if there's anyone else I should be watching to hold me over until classes.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Stick with the Ernest Langdon videos for now, he is quite comprehensive, articulate, and is a master of his craft. As long as his videos impart the information in a way that you understand, and the information presented makes sense to you I wouldn’t deviate at this point. Not to say he’s the only source, but as you take classes or watch instructional materials you will find guys or gals using different terminology or verbiage to describe essentially the same phenomenon, for example relating to trigger control.

They all mean the same thing and generally are trying to convey the same message, but by using different verbiage or descriptions may end up confusing a new shooter who will be wondering what in the hell they are talking about. Is this new word something else you need to know, or just a different presentation of what you have already heard? More often than not just a different take on the same information. Not saying others are bad or better, just that for consistency sake I’d stick with one good source for the moment.

Since you have interest in DA/SA guns Ernest is who I would recommend anyway for technical videos and training if you can make it to a class.

Day 2 at the range I only fired 2 guns, 50 rounds each.

P226 was really nice, grip was good not great though. It was more difficult to keep my hand high on the gun. It was little easier to control than the beretta. Double action was much lighter than the beretta. The trigger honestly was great, and I liked the sights.

VP9 Tactical was a sweetheart. I was able to actually group shots with it for the most part. Grip felt really good. I like the trigger way more then that p320 from Saturday. The grip was really good, and the gun was confidence inspiring.

I started focusing on isosceles stance, and gripping harder with my support hand, which was helpful just kind of knowing what to do with myself. Still enjoying it as a hobby. The staff at my range is super helpful and knowledgeable. I look forward to returning.

Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer

Day 2 at the range I only fired 2 guns, 50 rounds each.

P226 was really nice, grip was good not great though. It was more difficult to keep my hand high on the gun. It was little easier to control than the beretta. Double action was much lighter than the beretta. The trigger honestly was great, and I liked the sights.

VP9 Tactical was a sweetheart. I was able to actually group shots with it for the most part. Grip felt really good. I like the trigger way more then that p320 from Saturday. The grip was really good, and the gun was confidence inspiring.

I started focusing on isosceles stance, and gripping harder with my support hand, which was helpful just kind of knowing what to do with myself. Still enjoying it as a hobby. The staff at my range is super helpful and knowledgeable. I look forward to returning.

The VP9 is a good platform, where polymer striker fired guns are concerned it is my current favorite and my most commonly carried pistol for CCW. HK is now offering both a paddle magazine release model (original) and a button mag release model. Either one is good to go, some don’t like the paddles. Personally I do like the paddles but I’ve been shooting HK pistols since my 21st birthday (guess what my present to myself was...).

On the VP9 trigger I appreciate the nature of the trigger mechanism and feel. Functionally it is very similar to a two stage rifle trigger, allowing both a clean break and some forgiveness due to the light smooth take up of the trigger to the point it is going to break the shot. Just keep in mind that striker fired pistols demand the user observe trigger discipline during administrative handling. If you shove a striker fired gun into a holster and something like your finger, or a pull cord on your jacket etc depresses both the safety dongle thing on the the trigger and the trigger you are going to have an undesired discharge. No design is perfect though so it’s just a trade off you make to gain advantage elsewhere, and obviously given the ubiquitous issue of striker fired guns to all sorts of agencies not an insurmountable training issue.

Penguin you should write a blog or freelance. I’ve read a number of gun publications with writers that can’t write for shit.

Yeah, not sure that would be such a good idea. You might have noticed I have a tough time being nice, and writing brutally honest gun reviews will quickly make it so no one sends you guns to write about.:lol:

The VP9 is a good platform, where polymer striker fired guns are concerned it is my current favorite and my most commonly carried pistol for CCW. HK is now offering both a paddle magazine release model (original) and a button mag release model. Either one is good to go, some don’t like the paddles. Personally I do like the paddles but I’ve been shooting HK pistols since my 21st birthday (guess what my present to myself was...).

On the VP9 trigger I appreciate the nature of the trigger mechanism and feel. Functionally it is very similar to a two stage rifle trigger, allowing both a clean break and some forgiveness due to the light smooth take up of the trigger to the point it is going to break the shot. Just keep in mind that striker fired pistols demand the user observe trigger discipline during administrative handling. If you shove a striker fired gun into a holster and something like your finger, or a pull cord on your jacket etc depresses both the safety dongle thing on the the trigger and the trigger you are going to have an undesired discharge. No design is perfect though so it’s just a trade off you make to gain advantage elsewhere, and obviously given the ubiquitous issue of striker fired guns to all sorts of agencies not an insurmountable training issue.

I see that the new 2020 version of the VP9 is also pre-machined for optics, you just have to buy the $23 adapter plate specific to your optic. Not sure why they didn't put that on the 5" models, but it's still pretty cool. Also they changed the magazines to hold 17 rounds.

I still want to try more stuff, but the VP9 and p226 were both great. I want to shoot the 92fs vs. the vp9 and see which fits my stupid big hands better. I think if I decide to go with a 92x, it will be the LTT-G version. I will note that the 92x does come with a steel trigger. I'd love to try a PPQ too, but they don't have one :/.

Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer

Here is a photo of the work Primary Machine did on my long slide kit, includes machining the pocket and re-finishing the slide with a salt bath nitrocarburizing.

Also a photo of a 50yd (150ft) target I shot screwing around while zeroing the optic. Shot standing two handed.

The long slide guns have a fitted match barrel with HK's patented O ring barrel bushing utilizing a rubber O ring to improve barrel to slide fit and consistency.

Longslideacro.thumb.jpg.bdcc38249401d11d4cd3c3fcb10872d1.jpg

532097294_50ydtarget.thumb.jpg.d75af00e8d5450efa32bdb6c6c1078ac.jpg

But now I'm curious as to what you were shooting at the little outline at the top left.

Norm

We use those little 'logo' targets all the time for precision trigger drills, or zeroing, usually only out to ~15yards. Most of our targets have a about a 3" bull instead of the mini-silhouette, though...

I gave my CZ Scorpion a little bit of love recently.

Backstory, I bought this Rifle from a guy in NJ over the summer and it was NJ compliant, now it’s America Compliant.

Before:

a2503efcd1828b789a000cb85440dbd2.jpg

After:

d97b3be2872dd8319cff7c0d23abb008.jpg

Modifications are:

-Magpul Zhukov Stock with Reptilia adapter link (this is an AK stock, the Reptilia Adapter makes it fit the Scorpion)

-Magpul MOE Grip

-HB Industries trigger

-HB Industries AK style safety

-Gearhead works Mag release

-Leupold LCO

-The fake suppressor was removed, filed a Form 1 to make this a 8” barrel and a SiCo Hybrid suppressor installed.

The rifle in stock form was fun but it left much to be desired. The NJ compliant fixed stock wasn’t comfortable, the grip was too thin and has an uncomfortable angle, the stock safety was too small, too easy to accidentally switch on and off.

The stock trigger was a heavy 9lb pull, it was tolerable and it wasn’t at the same time. All of my rifles have upgraded triggers and I’ve become accustomed to aftermarket triggers with a smoother pull and reset. Now with a 5lb pull and smoother reset the scorpion is an absolute tack driver, I can string together more groups in less time.

This will be my PCC match gun in the future.

Now this rifle is A LOT of fun, probably my favorite gun in my collection. It doesn’t reside in New Jersey, stays across the river in Pennsylvania.

The SiCo Hybrid is pretty good with blowback, not so much in your face but the chamber gets really caked you pretty much have to soak the gun in CLP before every range trip....but it's a workhorse of a gun. I have a SiCo Saker ASR 556 the blow back with that is awful, I also have an Omega 300 which can give blowback depending on the bullet weight but overall not bad.