LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

why trijicon over the SIGLITE night sights?

inb4tsiwrxsaystakeaclassonpistolsights

:lol:

And that's just the short and long of it.

Sights are an intensely personal issue.

Why are there so many different makers who market so many different sights?

Why don't all of the top-tier shooters use the same sights - and why do so many market their own?

Because we all see things just that much differently from each other: and this is before age and disease even come into the picture.

The absolute best thing you can do is to try to shoot as many pistols as you can, with as many different sight configurations as you can get your paws on. This way, you can truly "see" for yourself what actually works best with your vision (mechanically) and with how your brain perceives what's in front of you.

A good shooter and someone who really knows their gun will also be able to tell you exactly what the front and rear sight measurements/dimensions are - this can play into how the sight package is seen by the shooter, too, and is something to keep in mind when you decide to "take" that other shooter's sighting configuration to use on your gun, particularly if there's a large difference in sight radius.

You need to leave behind marketing descriptions/claims as well as understand that what another shooter "sees" may not be what you see. Ever fight with your co-workers about the color of that stupid striped dress? :p

It's not so much that anyone needs to take a class in order to figure this out. Rather, it's that folks need to get out there on the range and in varied lighting/weather conditions, with varying target color/shape as well as backgrounds, and to get their hands on as many different sights as possible so that they can really pick out for themselves what works better/best, instead of just blindly emulating their favorite dynamically dynamic instructor, their hero top-tier competitive shooter, or just copying the flavor-of-the-day in the popular print rag. ;):)

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i'll be getting some range time in this week with it. can't say much about it from pointing it at objects and dry firing. I've never made an upgrade to a weapon that isn't practical to my needs.

I do have a friend who is exactly that, a tactical hypebeast. I told him I bought a 229, shamed me for not getting the 229 Elite because of the better trigger and beaver tail, which neither feature suited what I needed out of a pistol. I wanted a swiss army knife for a pistol. One that is a decent size but also concealable, which the beaver tail negates and wasn't looking to spend $200 more because it had cool features yet didn't suit my needs. When I bought my .308 rifle last month, I told him I'm going to switch out the stock for a different one, but now honestly I'm happy with the stock that is on there. Never the less, he kept pushing for me to get the Magpul PRS stock ($250), something that didn't suit my needs of that rifle.

tl;dr I whole heartedly agree with you on making practical upgrades. A pistol is more of a utility for me than my rifles are.

Trijicon HDs make a difference on the Sig P series pistols.

Would normally agree, but the Trijicon HD Sig P sights are extremely large. If you want a nice hi visibility sight for a P series Sig, would suggest looking at the Sig X-Ray sights. These are the ones that come factory on the Legion series. The other one to take a look at would be the Ameriglo Spartan Operator sights.

I shot the 229 yesterday at a bunch of plinking targets, I really like it. Can’t be surprised because I like my 226, but I really like this and the much lower price point of 9MM vs. .357sig. Also shot my girlfriends NJ State Police Issued Glock 17, for myself I like the Sig a lot more. It addresses my needs better, and the SIGLITE sights aren’t awful. New sights doesn’t address my needs right now.

Picked up my 229 today. This is how it was packaged, and its 15 years old. Stoked.

With a loaded mag?! :confused:

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Ok, I admit to loading the mag. Lol. But the shop did include the 50 round box of Winchester hollow point with the gun. Even more nice of them.

Oh, and due to state law I had to purchase my umpteenth cable lock for $5 too. No pic, just rant.

Ok, I admit to loading the mag. Lol. But the shop did include the 50 round box of Winchester hollow point with the gun. Even more nice of them.

Oh, and due to state law I had to purchase my umpteenth cable lock for $5 too. No pic, just rant.

Guns come w/o locks? You have to have the gun and lock in same transaction, can't just be like "here is one in my hand I walked in with"?

Guns come w/o locks? You have to have the gun and lock in same transaction, can't just be like "here is one in my hand I walked in with"?

How about that you sell your lock to the shop and buy it back on the same receipt for the same price just to get around the annoyance?

When there's a will there's a way.

453747.png

Because Ze Germans didn’t care about firearms safety. My ‘Merican made sig came with one.

Seriously you have to buy them in California? In my slave state you can ask any hospital, police station or firearms store for cable locks and they give them to you for free.

All handguns (used and new) must have a locking device supplied/sold with the gun. You cant bring your own.

For long guns you can sign an affidavit stating you have a DOJ approved safe. I have 3 of those.

I have at least a dozen cable locks. Most are brand new, in unopened bags. The opened locks are used to secure my range bags during transport, lol.

I have not asked an FFL to skirt the law or try to get around it on the cable lock. Its ridiculous, but so are many things in Cali. I always make a smart ass comment about it, but I have yet to get out without buying one when one is not supplied with the gun.

This Sig is German made and "used". It never came with a lock, so Cali makes you buy one with the transfer.

All handguns (used and new) must have a locking device supplied/sold with the gun. You cant bring your own.

For long guns you can sign an affidavit stating you have a DOJ approved safe. I have 3 of those.

I have at least a dozen cable locks. Most are brand new, in unopened bags. The opened locks are used to secure my range bags during transport, lol.

I have not asked an FFL to skirt the law or try to get around it on the cable lock. Its ridiculous, but so are many things in Cali. I always make a smart ass comment about it, but I have yet to get out without buying one when one is not supplied with the gun.

This Sig is German made and "used". It never came with a lock, so Cali makes you buy one with the transfer.

That’s pretty ridic. Like I said here all you have to do is ask for a cable lock and FFL’s will give you them for free, or just go to any police station and ask.

According to https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdfaqs you can bring a lock - just has to have been purchased within 30 days. You dont even need to bring it, just the receipt. But if your process is delayed longer then that, you're screwed! My question is if they allow them to have come with the gun... who says my S&W lock didnt come with my BNIB Glock? :lol:

That site also touched on an interesting topic - If during a private sale a proper lock can not be furnished, then the gun goes back to the seller. I'll have to double check, but i'm pretty sure locks are provided to gun stores here. Both new purchase and private sale i've had with BGC I was given free locks and pretty sure I was told I can always get them free if I need any. I was told per U.S.C 922(z)(1) the FFL is to provide a lock because the whole premise is part of the PLCAA which removes the store from liability by requiring them to provide a lock if one cant be furnished at the time of sale. My question now is I wonder who pays for the locks, if its just a state thing, or if I'm remembering wrong :p

But I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on the interwebs. I'm also looking for a reason to buy a new gun... conducting research sounds like a good reason ;)

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

As you can only purchase one gun per 30 days in Cali you would not have much chance of using any "'30 day provision" for purchase. No FFL in CA that I have worked with gives a free lock if none comes with the gun. You buy them for about $5 or $6 each. I have walked in with 3 brand new in the bag, unopened, locks to pick up a hand gun and been denied. Purchased another.

I am an NRA lifetime member and have been for over 20 years. If the NRA can supply me or an FFL of my choice free locks, where do we sign up?

Send them a message. I can only really speak for the APRCNJ (Associated Rifle & Pistol Clubs of New Jersey) which is our local charter of the NRA. However I know their funds are what give free locks.

Sounds like you really just need to move out of California. I’m working on it for myself to move from New Jermany to PA.

As you can only purchase one gun per 30 days in Cali you would not have much chance of using any "'30 day provision" for purchase. No FFL in CA that I have worked with gives a free lock if none comes with the gun. You buy them for about $5 or $6 each. I have walked in with 3 brand new in the bag, unopened, locks to pick up a hand gun and been denied. Purchased another.

I am an NRA lifetime member and have been for over 20 years. If the NRA can supply me or an FFL of my choice free locks, where do we sign up?

Are purchases often delayed beyond 30 days? I read that some people photoshop an old receipt or go to a store they frequent that lets them buy a lock and return it after going out to the car :rolleyes:

Not sure I follow why you want more locks ether. If having 3 locks didnt work, whats another free one going to do? It has to be accompanied with a proof of purchase and the proof cant be older then 30 days. Why im not sure, its as if locks expire if not used within 30 days of purchase :lol:

I also would point my finger at the MFG's though. They are required to make an entire gun thats CA compliant, knowing these FSD laws exists, and they cant toss a lock in to make it easy? Lame.

From a mail from "Forgotten Weapons".

Rick Smith at SMG Guns (the guys who make the reproduction FG-42s) has started shipping RP-46 adapters. He isn't making an unlimited number, and if you have a DP28 or DPM (semiauto or fullauto) it is a very cool accessory to have.
453747.png

Because Ze Germans didn’t care about firearms safety. My ‘Merican made sig came with one.

Seriously you have to buy them in California? In my slave state you can ask any hospital, police station or firearms store for cable locks and they give them to you for free.

Back in 97 the Clinton administration had a handshake deal with 80%+ of firearms manufacturers to provide locks with every gun.

I believe all manufacturers comply now. I think I have 30 of them in a box in my basement :lol:

If any of you mandatory state peoples want them, shoot me a PM and i’ll ship you some.

My favorite is the Ruger locks. They’re (or were) real padlocks. Kel-tecs are the cheapest. All plastic. Like their guns.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT