LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

:lol: ok fair enough. You know your stuff, more than I ever knew in my time as an armorer. Typically our solution was if something broke we warrantied it with Trijicon or FN/HK/Baretta otherwise I just shot guns every day or found a place to sleep in the armory.

Now? I just like shooting shit, and I know my L Dub is one hell of a weapon as far as reliability goes. Their piston system isn’t crazy intricate. Just they cheaped out on making a stock instead of staying with Magpul.

Same goes with KAC SR15, you put all that work in to a rifle, and they stuck with a cheapo A2 Pistol Grip? Should have put a Magpul on it for the extra $10 it would have cost them.

:lol: ok fair enough. You know your stuff, more than I ever knew in my time as an armorer. Typically our solution was if something broke we warrantied it with Trijicon or FN/HK/Baretta otherwise I just shot guns every day or found a place to sleep in the armory.

Nah, I doubt that I know that much - the problem with my "pool" of knowledge is that it's rather like a kiddie pool: it's shallow (but with a few deep holes in places), and small. :redface: And please don't think of it as me being combative/disagreeable - I just want things to be plain and accurate to anyone who may be reading. :)

Those few deep spots do exist, but I doubt they're even deep enough to drown a kid. :lol: There's a couple of spots where it actually dives pretty deep, but those only exist because I feel the true need to know. The AR market is a cesspool for us average-Joes/Janes, so it really was a matter of need, as I started to take more training classes and spent time and the range really putting in the work. Miles accrue, and parts will break...so I figured it was worth investing the time and effort to really get to understand things.

The agency armorer is a weird position to be in, from what I understand of a few instructors of mine who have been in that position for whatever reason - be it military or LE service. What I really envy you guys for is just the crazy crap you see, as I think that can add a lot to anyone's breadth of knowledge. One of the really awesome things to be in my area is that I get "the legacy of Pat," with the years he's spent on this platform and the know-how he's passed down to his disciples. :)

Now? I just like shooting shit, and I know my L Dub is one hell of a weapon as far as reliability goes. Their piston system isn’t crazy intricate. Just they cheaped out on making a stock instead of staying with Magpul.

Same goes with KAC SR15, you put all that work in to a rifle, and they stuck with a cheapo A2 Pistol Grip? Should have put a Magpul on it for the extra $10 it would have cost them.

I think a lot of times these manufacturers look at the bigger picture, and realize that it's more than likely that the end-user will replace those components, anyway, so they shave cost where they can. Furniture is a lot of times an aesthetic selection for some, and for others, it is one of extreme preference issues, to the point where it's almost OCD (i.e. guys who run the same grip or stock on -EVERY- last one of their rifles).

The A2 grip does have something favorable going for it, though, in that it is really very slim. Some guys with smaller hands prefer it, particularly if they need to also glove-up. Dan Brokos, IIRC, stipples his, and I also know other guys who like it that way (typically after hump removal).

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The agency armorer is a weird position to be in, from what I understand of a few instructors of mine who have been in that position for whatever reason - be it military or LE service. What I really envy you guys for is just the crazy crap you see, as I think that can add a lot to anyone's breadth of knowledge. One of the really awesome things to be in my area is that I get "the legacy of Pat," with the years he's spent on this platform and the know-how he's passed down to his disciples. :)

I think a lot of times these manufacturers look at the bigger picture, and realize that it's more than likely that the end-user will replace those components, anyway, so they shave cost where they can. Furniture is a lot of times an aesthetic selection for some, and for others, it is one of extreme preference issues, to the point where it's almost OCD (i.e. guys who run the same grip or stock on -EVERY- last one of their rifles).

The A2 grip does have something favorable going for it, though, in that it is really very slim. Some guys with smaller hands prefer it, particularly if they need to also glove-up. Dan Brokos, IIRC, stipples his, and I also know other guys who like it that way (typically after hump removal).

being a military armorer: depends on what echelon shop you work in. I worked in a Battalion Level Armory and our repair work was limited to tinkering. We would replace BCG's and parts to the BCG ourselves, trigger jobs, Gas Block & tubes, furniture, things that were very simple to do. If more intricate work was required, we would send weapons up to the Regimental or Divisional Armory (the main camp Lejeune Armory) where either they would do things like replace barrels, re-rifle them if need be but in most cases where a major repair was needed, the DoD worked out a crazy good deal with FN, HK & Colt with lifetime warranties so they would just get replaced no questions asked. Though there was a time where I got to watch a Gunner (Chief Warrant Officer 5) who was in the Regimental Armory try to show off us skills by welding a Barrel back together on a M16A4 that was run over by a 7 ton, he was trying to show off to us his expertise and then how to re-rifle a barrel, he wasn't successful but I did get out of having to field day in the barracks that evening because of it, so it was worth every bit of my time :)

We would spend a lot more of our time doing inspections, function checks and range testing, almost never cleaned anyone else's rifle, we would make them do that :lol:

The guys who worked in the Armory who I really felt bad for were our Optics Techs, they would spend 7 months in school learning about all the different electro-optics used by the Marine Corps on different weapons systems and all of our optics from Trijicon or Nightforce were under a lifetime warranty to a point we couldn't touch anything on them, just had to send them back to Nightforce and Trijicon and they'd replace. Except if they were in shops that had a Javelin or Artillery with electro optics.

as for the A2 grip, it's cheap. Yes you can spend the $20 yourself for a Magpul or Hogue but if you're selling a high end rifle just throw it on there from the factory, it probably would cost KAC $10 to get them from Magpul or Hogue. I'll always be a fan of Magpul grips, my first AR I bought in 2013 when I still was at Camp Lejeune came with one and it changed my mind in comparison to the mil-spec grips, because it's thick enough where you don't deathgrip it and jerk the trigger but also not too thick for most end-users where they can have good control of the rifle. Then again spending an additional $20 isn't the end of the world when the SR-15 if perfect in every other aspect.

In L-Dub's case my gripe is their sopmod stock, I don't necessarily like sopmod style stocks on non-sbr's since that was the intent of SOPMOD in the first place. A lot of SOPMOD's can be nice, their case it's not. It's structurally a quality built stock, but doesn't provide a good surface for a good cheek weld. I wonder if it cost them more to make them in house than it would have to just put a Magpul stock on like they had been for years, because I know if you were to buy one at retail, a Magpul MOE Carbine stock is $40 and L Dub's is $65 :confused::confused: To each their own but from my perspective and the general consensus from the LWRC owners group on facebook, everyone hates their stock and the LWRC employees who participate in the group are aware of it, but don't acknowledge it.

Edited by THE RZA

.....Though there was a time where I got to watch a Gunner (Chief Warrant Officer 5) who was in the Regimental Armory try to show off us skills by welding a Barrel back together on a M16A4 that was run over by a 7 ton, he was trying to show off to us his expertise and then how to re-rifle a barrel, he wasn't successful but I did get out of having to field day in the barracks that evening because of it, so it was worth every bit of my time :)

:eek:

^ I really don't have anything else to say to that. :eek:

as for the A2 grip, it's cheap. Yes you can spend the $20 yourself for a Magpul or Hogue but if you're selling a high end rifle just throw it on there from the factory, it probably would cost KAC $10 to get them from Magpul or Hogue. I'll always be a fan of Magpul grips, my first AR I bought in 2013 when I still was at Camp Lejeune came with one and it changed my mind in comparison to the mil-spec grips, because it's thick enough where you don't deathgrip it and jerk the trigger but also not too thick for most end-users where they can have good control of the rifle. Then again spending an additional $20 isn't the end of the world when the SR-15 if perfect in every other aspect.

In L-Dub's case my gripe is their sopmod stock, I don't necessarily like sopmod style stocks on non-sbr's since that was the intent of SOPMOD in the first place. A lot of SOPMOD's can be nice, their case it's not. It's structurally a quality built stock, but doesn't provide a good surface for a good cheek weld. I wonder if it cost them more to make them in house than it would have to just put a Magpul stock on like they had been for years, because I know if you were to buy one at retail, a Magpul MOE Carbine stock is $40 and L Dub's is $65 :confused::confused: To each their own but from my perspective and the general consensus from the LWRC owners group on facebook, everyone hates their stock and the LWRC employees who participate in the group are aware of it, but don't acknowledge it.

My cheeks are too fat to lay consistently correctly on any of the sloping stocks. I figured this out the hard way :lol:.

I love how they feel, but I just can't get consistent with it.

Probably if I *really* devoted the time to it, but it's a lower return for me as a civilian. :p

It's fun to watch someone like my daughter go through her "grip evolution." She started out on the A2 because she liked how slender it was - she was 9 at the time, I think. Now that her hands have gotten bigger and her fingers longer, she's migrated over to the K2+.

I'm just glad there's all these furniture options. :wub:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Welding a barrel sounds really dumb, yes I know. A lot of times when you’re in service unless you are getting ready for a deployment or on a deployment, your time spent in Garrison becomes very monotonous, so it was a chance from a Gunners perspective to do something different and teach us younger armorers some new things. This CW05 was a licensed gunsmith and lead the operating standards for all Armorers in the Marine Corps, so if there’s someone to learn things from, it was him.

I’m a fan of the regular MOE+ grip, hasn’t done me wrong. My .308 had a hogue overmolded, I swapped it out before I even shot the thing. (If anyone wants it pm me we’ll work a deal) With furniture it’s hard to not buy Magpul, their stuff is reasonably priced for each set of needs, great quality, and it works. Personally I don’t like their foregrips, handstops or the MOE handguard, none of that ever felt good in my non shooting hand. For an M-lok rail I prefer something like Midwest Industries, DD or KAC over Magpul’s own piece.

Their BUI’s are great, there are better but when it comes to ironsights you really don’t need to be picky on them especially if they’re back ups. Love their stocks, my .308 has the Fixed Carbine stock which I thought i wouldn’t like and would switch out for the adjustable, but I do like it. My L Dub I decided to go with the Larue RAT because it was on sale, but I would do Magpul for stocks 10 times out of 10 if I didn’t get the Larue on sale. It makes sense as to why a majority of Carbine’s for sale come outfitted with Magpul grips, stocks etc, they just work.

Edited by THE RZA

Waiting my 10 days to pick up a couple "plinkers". Found both at a local gun shop on consignment (so no limit to how many I can buy in a 30 day period). Sig Mosquito and a Walther P22. Cheap fun.

Yes, I know all about the Mosquito and its reputation. I have no issues playing with ammo and making modifications to the gun. Cheap fun.

damn, maybe you could have gotten one from the youtube shooter, because if she was following california law, there was supposed to be a cable lock in her gun unless she was using her gun lawfully, that cable lock would have prevented the shooting.

:lol:

Village of Deerfield, Illinois

LET THE FIGHT BEGIN!!!

well this sucks

no ar15's, ak47's, or Uzi's and others

i didn't see the mini 14 on the list

Illinois town bans assault weapons, will fine those who keep them

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hem/488987002/

http://www.deerfield.il.us/DocumentCenter/View/1506

Leave this shit out of the gun talk thread. How many fuckingtimes do we have to tell you this? Post this shit in the PA.

Leave this shit out of the gun talk thread. How many fuckingtimes do we have to tell you this? Post this shit in the PA.

i don't care what you like or don't like

it's more important people are aware to fight back

well i'm in CA, i'm not gonna fight back for IL.

i got my own anti-gun laws to worry about.

Get the 805 Bren.

even if the version 2 potentially coming out? i think it is called the 806 bren 2? seems to offer some upgrades that people have complaints about in the 805 bren.

CZ takes a long time to release products. So given the political climate I’d get one while you can. If the 806 shows up and you can acquire one then go for it. The Galil Ace is a dated design, not nearly as refined as the CZ since the Czechs took the SCAR copied what worked and made a few improvements.

Picked up the Mosquito today. Local store is out of CCi Mini mag, damn it. No plinking today. On a hunt for ammo now.

On a side note, reread the current regs on PPT in CA. No more than 5 in one year. No limit to how many PPT firearms are on one DROS, but you only get 5 per year. So, one new gun per 30 days and five PPT transactions per 12 months. My freedom feels "pinched".