LegacyGT.com

Anybody ever had the head unit/climate control crash?

Wondering if this has happened to anyone else, this is only the second time it has happened to me. Head unit/climate control is a P204-UH from a 2007 LGT Limited.

While I was driving in to work today, the screens for both the radio and climate control went dark. Music was still playing from the aux connection, but I could not adjust the volume at all or change inputs. Power button turned audio on and off, but the screen did not change.

While this was going on, I had previously had the front defroster running, and when the screens went dark, the amber LED started blinking. Pressing "auto" would make the climate control do something, although I'm not sure exactly what mode it set itself to.

Pulled into a rest area, shut the car off and took the key out for a few seconds, started it back up and everything was totally fine again.

I had the exact same thing happen almost a year ago with my P-204UH from an 08 Outback in my 05. Had the volume and no other buttons work except the power button. Turned off the car, went back to it a couple hours later, restarted it and its worked since with absolutely no issues.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I had the exact same thing happen almost a year ago with my P-204UH from an 08 Outback in my 05. Had the volume and no other buttons work except the power button. Turned off the car, went back to it a couple hours later, restarted it and its worked since with absolutely no issues.

Yeah, the last time it did this was probably 6-8 months ago. It's just weird, I didn't think much of it last time, although when it happened this morning as I'm driving east in traffic towards a sunrise it kinda really sucked to lose my defroster, lol.

I had this issue. Check your battery and terminals. My issue was loose/weak contact due to corrosion + finding a popped fuse in my HID wiring harness. Cleaned terminals with solution and replaced all fuses (HIDs, hella horns, and aux lights) -- headunit has had no further flickering issues.

battery is getting weak

I would think other issues would arise from a weak battery before the issues he's having. I took mine apart the boards show they have had some over heating and alot of dust holding the heat in the boards. They needed more efficient cooling from the beginning. I added a 3 inch fan from a computer on mine and it stays nice and cool now.

I had this issue. Check your battery and terminals. My issue was loose/weak contact due to corrosion + finding a popped fuse in my HID wiring harness. Cleaned terminals with solution and replaced all fuses (HIDs, hella horns, and aux lights) -- headunit has had no further flickering issues.

Nothing on the car flickers at all (well, the OPT7 LED's do slightly when they are in "DRL" mode, but not when the lowbeams are actually on). Didn't even have any light dimming issues after I installed the subwoofer.

Battery terminals are clean and snug, I was just in there recently installing audio nonsense.

The headunit didn't flicker, it just shut down the interface completely and wouldn't turn back on until the car was off for more than 5 seconds (I attempted to turn the key off and back on quickly while driving, didn't work until I pulled over and stopped). Sound was still working at the previous volume level.

I'm wondering if it is some sort of heat issue, these things do seem to run fairly warm for a car stereo.

Every single legacy/outback of this vintage does this at least once during it's life.

Mine did it once in like 2007/8 and never did it again.

Don't sweat it.

Hooray for shit firmware?

Pretty sure that this issue is do to a loose ground connection. Mine normally flickers in the heat of the day. If I press on the plastic between the radio and the HVAC controls it flickers a lot and then goes away. There is a thread about taking the radio out and fixing it but I haven't gone that far

Sent from your bedroom closet ]-.-[

Like others have said, clean the battery terminals first, make sure they are tight. This was a common issue back in the first few moths with these cars. I posted about it back in late 2004.

Next, how old is the battery ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Every blue moon (total of 4 times in 6 yrs) my HU will freeze and the lamination would flicker. Each time I disconnected the battery to clear the ECU & HU and it came back up. It's one of those ghost in our cars. :iam:
My wife's balls are delicious.

Yeah, at this point I've pretty much chalked this one up to "It does that sometimes".

My experience differes from several others in this thread in that nothing flickers at all, it just goes from "everything is working exactly as it should" to "the vents stopped blowing air and all the displays on the p-204 went dark, why can't I turn the radio down?"

Hey, mine would even raise or lower the radio volume sometimes. Hasn't done that in years. Clean and tight battery terminals.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey, mine would even raise or lower the radio volume sometimes. Hasn't done that in years. Clean and tight battery terminals.

Mine was doing that with a new battery that's why I decided to take it apart and clean it out and add a fan to keep it cool hasn't done it since. The radio signal is still crap when the rear defrost is on tho

Mine flickers once and awhile but never goes completely out. I bang on it and it works again. Seems like a loose connection that i dont feel like dealing with until it stops working completely

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

My first LGT (RIP friend) did it a couple times a year - usually over bumps, or if you tapped the head unit with your hand, the displays would flicker. I've had the same thing happen to my "new" one over the last year once, but it seems less frequent than the first car. I've never had it totally black out, though - it's only ever happened in conjunction with vibrations/sudden bumps.

Archived