LegacyGT.com

Stage 1 to stage 2 modding questions

Hi there, I currently have a 2010 6MT Leagcy Gt with stage one tune, 3 port boost control solenoid, gfb bov and I am looking at going on to stage two shortly in about a months time roughly, I plan on going with the Invidia 3'dump pipe catted (Australian spec) and was wondering if there is any other modifications to do while this is getting done to help with the power gains?

I have spoken to a few shops now and they all recommend the the dump/tbe exhaust as next mod with majority of them recommending to upgrade the fuel pump and also even consider doing intake as well as they claim these other mods "should" potentiality bring the car up to close to the 270hp mark/ 200atw kw.

Anyone here want to chime in with their experience/modifications when going from stage one to two, are the other mods worth it/will help? What power are you guys/gals getting roughly? Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

My understanding is that the stock intake and fuel pump are both fine for stage 2 setups without e85.

I did a tmic with my stage 2 setup. I read on here somewhere that intercooling was one of our limiting factors,and I figured that it might help more with my particularly hot climate. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in on that?

Here is another thread with good information: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/things-consider-stage-2-set-ups-242755.html?t=242755

An upgraded intercooler will allow you to run more aggressive timing without knock. It may increase power slightly but it's more about keeping charge air temps under control and more consistent. It is a great upgrade either way, pricey, but a good upgrade.

The fuel pump is another reliability or preventative maintenance item, definitely worth while as well, if you are already close to the fuel pump filter change interval.

Otherwise a tbe and a tune is a great upgrade and I would be surprised if you didn't surpass those expected numbers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The stock intake isn't really a limiting factor to our cars on a Stage2 tune, but as others have said, a better intercooler will flow a little better and keep things cooler, and it's well worth it to add that to the fray of your Stage2 mods. The fuel pump doesn't require a tune, so you don't need it before the tune, but you could do it any time in the future and it will give you some assurance that the injectors are being fed plenty of fuel.

EBCS isn't needed at all with stock turbo, recommend you keep the BPV recirculated unless you are going to change to air measure to speed density. First issue you'll likely encounter is boost creep or overboost, so instead of stage 2, I'd just get a TMIC and charge pipe, and get it protuned with the stock turbo ported.

The stock intake isn't really a limiting factor to our cars on a Stage2 tune, but as others have said, a better intercooler will flow a little better and keep things cooler, and it's well worth it to add that to the fray of your Stage2 mods. The fuel pump doesn't require a tune, so you don't need it before the tune, but you could do it any time in the future and it will give you some assurance that the injectors are being fed plenty of fuel.

So if the fuel pump was to be done, what type of fuel pump would be recommended/suitable? Something along the lines of a DW300 I assume?

An upgraded intercooler will allow you to run more aggressive timing without knock. It may increase power slightly but it's more about keeping charge air temps under control and more consistent. It is a great upgrade either way, pricey, but a good upgrade.

The fuel pump is another reliability or preventative maintenance item, definitely worth while as well, if you are already close to the fuel pump filter change interval.

Otherwise a tbe and a tune is a great upgrade and I would be surprised if you didn't surpass those expected numbers.

I see, thanks for information, With the TMIC I assume you want to run a Avo or Perrin set up then, I know process west doesn't make TMIC for the Aus spec cars at least.....

I see, thanks for information, With the TMIC I assume you want to run a Avo or Perrin set up then, I know process west doesn't make TMIC for the Aus spec cars at least.....

Are you sure about that, BBpiek put on a pw intercooler.

Process West Verticooler install... requires RacerX charge pipe and some ingenuity.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/process-west-wrx-verticooler-installation-253808.html?t=253808&highlight=process+west

Grimmspeed TMIC...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/grimmspeed-tmic-5th-gen-gt-254787.html?t=254787&highlight=process+west

Avo is good choice as well. Perrin doesn't make one that will fit our cars.

Thanks for the Post n links Gteaser, appreciate it.

Process West Verticooler install... requires RacerX charge pipe and some ingenuity.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/process-west-wrx-verticooler-installation-253808.html?t=253808&highlight=process+west

Grimmspeed TMIC...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/grimmspeed-tmic-5th-gen-gt-254787.html?t=254787&highlight=process+west

Avo is good choice as well. Perrin doesn't make one that will fit our cars.

Nailed it. As for your current tune, you're running a 3 port aftermarket ebcs and on a stage 1 map?? I sell both of the above intercoolers if you're interested in buying. You'll definitely need a tune to make use of an upgraded intercooler.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As an Aussie this stage 1, 2, 3 stuff confuses the shit outta me. How much boost are you running to hit 200awkw after the zorst? I'm not a mechanic but that seems like a really high estimate. I run a basic tune, was done by some random shop with the previous owner and i don't think it's particularly fantastic but will be grabbing a TMIC before i get my tuner to take a run at it and an X-force 3" TBE And my numbers are around 160 at the wheels i would think.

Expecting to get much closer to 200 after i con my mate to fab a charge pipe so we can fit the verticooler, then get it on the dyno.

Once again, i'm not a mechanic just throwing in my 2 cents.

In answer to your question though, i'd do a TMIC at the same time as the zorst (should get you much closer to the numbers you want.

***EDIT*** Just read that yours is 6MT, so you can pretty much disregard all of what i've said. Carry on...

Haha, that makes me sound incredibly "Ozzie" huh? I swear i'm of reasonable intelligence and sober for at least 50% of the day. (Most days)

I didn't realise was actually a common colloquialism, i don't hear a lot of other people use it.

As an Aussie this stage 1, 2, 3 stuff confuses the shit outta me. How much boost are you running to hit 200awkw after the zorst? I'm not a mechanic but that seems like a really high estimate. I run a basic tune, was done by some random shop with the previous owner and i don't think it's particularly fantastic but will be grabbing a TMIC before i get my tuner to take a run at it and an X-force 3" TBE And my numbers are around 160 at the wheels i would think.

Expecting to get much closer to 200 after i con my mate to fab a charge pipe so we can fit the verticooler, then get it on the dyno.

Once again, i'm not a mechanic just throwing in my 2 cents.

In answer to your question though, i'd do a TMIC at the same time as the zorst (should get you much closer to the numbers you want.

***EDIT*** Just read that yours is 6MT, so you can pretty much disregard all of what i've said. Carry on...

I know for fact at the moment the car sits somewhere in between 140-150kw max at the wheels from when I was present during the dyno tuning runs ect, boost was set at max 17.5psi, currently running from memory 15psi as the norm. I'd be happy with personally if i can hit close to 170kw based off the current tune. Atm I am looking at the invidia and X-force options in terms of dump pipes and full TBE options, also currently looking at whats available locally for time being in terms of the TMIC. Still planning method of attack before making any commitments.

Nailed it. As for your current tune, you're running a 3 port aftermarket ebcs and on a stage 1 map?? I sell both of the above intercoolers if you're interested in buying. You'll definitely need a tune to make use of an upgraded intercooler.

-Brian

Hi there, that is correct. Can you please pm me in relation to those Top mount inter-coolers. Just so you know I am Located Here in Australia, Sydney, i'm not a local.

Hi there, that is correct. Can you please pm me in relation to those Top mount inter-coolers. Just so you know I am Located Here in Australia, Sydney, i'm not a local.

Sent

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know for fact at the moment the car sits somewhere in between 140-150kw max at the wheels from when I was present during the dyno tuning runs ect, boost was set at max 17.5psi, currently running from memory 15psi as the norm. I'd be happy with personally if i can hit close to 170kw based off the current tune. Atm I am looking at the invidia and X-force options in terms of dump pipes and full TBE options, also currently looking at whats available locally for time being in terms of the TMIC. Still planning method of attack before making any commitments.

Sorry man, i didn't mean to sound like i doubted your current numbers. Just that getting up to 200 after a zorst and some tweaking seemed like a hell of a stretch.

I like my X-force, though it didn't pass RWC when i purchased it, and when my mate was putting it back on we discovered that the dump is some random, no-name piece (well made but we couldn't find any info on it). The flange on it didn't match up so whoever the hack was that fitted it last time used 4 gaskets and an internal "sleeve" type arraignment to botch it together. So he knocked the end off it, remeasured and welded up the correct flange for me. I'm pretty happy with it, although one of the mufflers is blowing out the baffles at the moment, so they'll be replaced in the coming months. It's fairly loud, but i like it.

As for TMIC i was about to grab this:

http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/catalog/product/view/id/3342/s/top-mount-intercooler-liberty-gt-outback-xt-10-14-wrx-15-16-forester-xt-13-14/category/153/?year=5&make=4&model=24

Then someone on here managed to hook up the grimmspeed, which then became the one i wanted. However after it's been shown that the PW Verticooler will fit up, we're gonna fab a charge pipe and do that.

Find a good mechanic and tuner in your area and work with them, if they know their shit you'll be sweet.

The stock 5th gen charts I have seen here have pushed around 220hp to the wheels so roughly 165kw...200 is hardly a stretch with just an aggressive tune it is possible. With a turbo back exhaust and and intercooler you should be close to 300 hp depending on your fuel and tune.

Like i said, i'm not a mechanic man, just working with the numbers i have as a frame of reference.

This is the run from mine before i took ownership, with the botched exhaust (and potentially questionable coils)

Stock to tuned with the TBE -

http://imgur.com/XKaHWdR

Not sure what i am doing wrong with the pic, so here is the link - http://imgur.com/XKaHWdR

Granted, mine is auto so i imagine you'll see some differences with the 6MT.

Also, probably worth noting, that as far as i understand it. Dyno figures from the states and dyno figures from Aus have some considerable differences.

Archived