LegacyGT.com

Idle issues rpm drops low

Your close to Mike, aka m sprank and his shop http://www.infamousperformance.net contact him before you start throwing money at this.

Tell Mike I sent you.

There's another thread here about OCV's causing low idle...

Found that the throttle body was full of oil, how often do these get dirty? I'm assuming the pcv valve is bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo can be on it's way out too. But yes clean or replace your PCV first. In addition to the grounding. MAF cleaning and checking for boost leaks. How many miles are on this car?

Judging from the battery lead looks the rest of the car needs some general maintenance and cleanup.

Also the Oil Control Valve Solinoids may need replacing. They start acting funny and the car will stumble and such off idle and die from time to time.

On the wire question, if its decent size like 12 or 14 gauge like the wire you would find in your house wiring you'll be fine.

In the lower right corner you'll see a large black wire from the chassis to the solid side of the engine mount. Any size wire will work. Had another large wire on the left side too.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCF0756.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

On the wire question, if its decent size like 12 or 14 gauge like the wire you would find in your house wiring you'll be fine.

In the lower right corner you'll see a large black wire from the chassis to the solid side of the engine mount. Any size wire will work. Had another large wire on the left side too.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCF0756.jpg

Sounds good, i did put new battery cables, and ground cables to rule that one out, car still felt the same, battery was at 94%, alternator was tested too and it was good, felt better when I cleaned the maf sensor. Car is actually up with maintenance

Turbo can be on it's way out too. But yes clean or replace your PCV first. In addition to the grounding. MAF cleaning and checking for boost leaks. How many miles are on this car?

Judging from the battery lead looks the rest of the car needs some general maintenance and cleanup.

Also the Oil Control Valve Solinoids may need replacing. They start acting funny and the car will stumble and such off idle and die from time to time.

Aw don't say the turbo will go out soon xD yeah o2 sensor was cleaned, bought it when I bought my headers so it's still pretty new. Maf was cleaned and tested at the shop. When they looked at the throttle body it was full of oil. So that's being worked on right now

O2 sensors are not usually cleaned successfully for the long run. Best to replace if it's suspect.

New to you may not mean new turbo. Was this a private sale? Do you trust the seller's word?

Are they looking for the source as opposed to just cleaning? If the TB is full of oil so is the IC. Cleaning the TB is one of the easy tasks to take care of yourself. There is a good walk through on the PCV replacement. Search around and read up there is alot of information here.

O2 sensors are not usually cleaned successfully for the long run. Best to replace if it's suspect.

New to you may not mean new turbo. Was this a private sale? Do you trust the seller's word?

Are they looking for the source as opposed to just cleaning? If the TB is full of oil so is the IC. Cleaning the TB is one of the easy tasks to take care of yourself. There is a good walk through on the PCV replacement. Search around and read up there is alot of information here.

Reason why I haven't wanted to get new sensors it's cause they all have been replaced in less the 2 years and they're not throwing any codes.

If the turbo goes out I'll just get a vf52 or perhaps a 16-18g turbo.

Yeah I cleaned the tb myself and all sensors but I am planning to get the pcv valve changed this week, I'll be taking it to the dealer. It just amazes me how I can't really depict what's wrong with the car. There's no oil that's leaks or wasting, if it was the pcv was bad oil levels would of been off which it hasn't. Also after cleaning it I checked all oil lines going to the throttle body none look warned out. And after cleaning it it's working like a champ.. I mean I'm no mechanic but I do know the concept of how its suppose to work. I'll keep posting updates till I find the solution. Im going to run the car as is with no new sensors or pcv and see what happens. If problem continues to happen then I'll be taking it to the dealer the moment it does it the first time.

You can change the PCV assembly without the dealer. It's a good place to start. For our year there is an assembly that includes three hoses the PCV complete for under fifty bucks. They are going to charge you plenty for the time to get in there and out.

You can change the PCV assembly without the dealer. It's a good place to start. For our year there is an assembly that includes three hoses the PCV complete for under fifty bucks. They are going to charge you plenty for the time to get in there and out.

Yeah I figured but I don't want to **** anything else up so I'll rather have them, besides I don't really have the time or the proper tools at times

• 2 weeks later...

So after weeks of leaving the car on the side till I had time to fix it. I finally took it to the dealer.. It looks like one of my injectors was barely spraying, causing the car to shut off at Low speeds. So the dealer is currently working on that. Also has a slight misfire will be getting that fixed as well.. Other then that car will be sitting till it gets completely fixed.

Injector doesn't cause excessive oil in the TB-bad turbo seals and/or bad PCV does. You may have ringland issues now too, if that cylinder was running lean for a while. I would run compression/leakdown while it's still there, just for the peace of mind.

Injector doesn't cause excessive oil in the TB-bad turbo seals and/or bad PCV does. You may have ringland issues now too, if that cylinder was running lean for a while. I would run compression/leakdown while it's still there, just for the peace of mind.

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow and have them check that out [emoji108]

• 2 weeks later...

After many weeks of having the car worked on and having the same problem. And these jack asses.. sorry for my grammar. But they finally decide to look some where else and saw that the intercooler was cracked.... and that has fixed the problem. I guess I was running the car with a bad boost leak.

This is why most of us work on our own cars. Good deal the issue was finally found. But an initial leak down test of the intake should have isolated that really quick.

I would to but I'm not to familiar with these. Had a 91 m3 and now have a 2011 335i, I can honestly say that the legacy has giving me more problems but it handles and works like a beast. So would these things be I guess you can say symptoms of how it will feel if it had a boost leak? I just hope when I install the intercooler it feels 10x better

I wasn't either but after being screwed over by the stealership forged ahead learning as much as possible.

But by all means take cared the best you can, if that means trusting others, so be it.

Mike from Tuning Alliance has a nice method of checking for a boost leak.

1) disconnect the intake hose from the airbox.

2) Clamp in a can or whatever you can find that fits to deal it.

3) disconnect the vacuum line from the BOV.

4) Blow into it as hard and long as you can.

5) cover the hose with your thumb.

6) Wait 30 seconds or more.

7) If you have air blowing out of the vacuum hose after removing your thumb the intake is in pretty good shape.

I wasn't either but after being screwed over by the stealership forged ahead learning as much as possible.

But by all means take cared the best you can, if that means trusting others, so be it.

Mike from Tuning Alliance has a nice method of checking for a boost leak.

1) disconnect the intake hose from the airbox.

2) Clamp in a can or whatever you can find that fits to deal it.

3) disconnect the vacuum line from the BOV.

4) Blow into it as hard and long as you can.

5) cover the hose with your thumb.

6) Wait 30 seconds or more.

7) If you have air blowing out of the vacuum hose after removing your thumb the intake is in pretty good shape.

Got the new intercooler installed and it's working great, but car is still making a rattling noise on the right side of the engine bay and it feels heavy still :(http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161003/e5dd487cbbf2706f7dfcf335b892073b.jpg

Did you reset the ECU after installing the PW tmic which fixed your leak ?

You should do that. The ECU may have learned some bad things trying to compensate for the leak.

Check for a loose heat shield down around the oil filter, common on these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My assumption as well... Just want to be sure.

Would still be a good ideal to check for leaks even after the IC change.

Nice IC BTW.

Yeah car feels great, ecu needed to readjust itself. Taking it to a tuner sooner.. thanks guys [emoji108] don't go to dealers. They're full of shit. Took me 4 times and several days for them to finally tell me that my intercooler was cracked .. oh well I'm just glad it wasn't internally

Archived