LegacyGT.com

AVO Turboback Exhaust

Those mufflers are going to be quieter than the Nameless by a good margin, as they appear to make a loop inside the muffler housing, as opposed to the straight-through design of the Nameless cans. In this case, the 3" part refers to the diameter of tubing from the cat back to the Y.

There are a couple people that run the AVO catback exhaust - not sure how active they are on here anymore. I run the J-pipe (downpipe, side pipe, whatever you want to call it) to the stock exhaust to Nameless 5" mufflers.

If I were you, I would buy the AVO knock off here -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Racing-Sports-Exhaust-For-2010-2011-2012-2013-Legacy-GT-2-5L-Turbo-charged-/182237226442?hash=item2a6e2f65ca

I ran that same set-up on my 4th gen LGT...a 2006 LGT 5MT...... Loved the sound....throaty but subtle. Definitely no "Fart can" sounds

Not sure if the mufflers on the 5th Gen model are the same but the 4th Gen mufflers were straight through design but subdued the harsh sounds beautifully. :)

• 3 years later...

Use WPDUSA.com think they are the AVO supplier for the US. They ship internationally and are based out of Portland, Oregon. Probably have to ship it in from Japan first, which took 2 weeks back in January.

Don't forget adapter #259330. And look for the install on here, you'll need to grind down a bracket to fit. Also the bolt holes may not line up 100% between the downpipe, adapter, stock exhaust and both gaskets.

Haven't installed mine yet just what I saw lining the gaskets, downpipe, and adapter outside the car.

Edited by MarcoLGT

Don't forget adapter #259330. And look for the install on here, you'll need to grind down a bracket to fit. Also the bolt holes may not line up 100% between the downpipe, adapter, stock exhaust and both gaskets.

Haven't installed mine yet just what I saw lining the gaskets, downpipe, and adapter outside the car.

There's an adapter from AVO needed? Is this to join the downpipe to the stock exhaust?

I have an AVO downpipe gathering dust here as well, I had not heard of that particular adapter, the install thread I came across used a Grimmspeed 077044 adapter and Grimmspeed 020031 gasket so that is what I got.

The downpipe does come with a turbo side gasket already.

It looks like it is discontinued. It was available 2 1/2 years ago when I bought my Invidia Q300 cat back exhaust (connects in the middle of the car). I initially used the Grimmspeed adapter when connecting my exhaust, but it pushed the exhaust back so it didn't quite fit right. I remove the adapter and the OEM tapered exhaust gaskets. It worked fine with regular gaskets and fit right. (It is amazing what 1/2" or so does for the exhaust fitment.)

The AVO J pipe just a short elbow section to replace the stock cat. The 5th Gen exhaust AVO exhaust went from the cat back and replaced the portion of the exhaust that is consider part of the J pipe. (It was also around $2000)

There's an adapter from AVO needed? Is this to join the downpipe to the stock exhaust?

I have an AVO downpipe gathering dust here as well, I had not heard of that particular adapter, the install thread I came across used a Grimmspeed 077044 adapter and Grimmspeed 020031 gasket so that is what I got.

The downpipe does come with a turbo side gasket already.

The install I linked used the same adapter as you and needed modifications

I used mcg_ install to get my parts. Here

He cut the one side off because it didn't got into the stock exhaust, sounds like the same as yours. The AVO adapter is flat on the 3" side and portruding piece on the stock exhaust side, which concerns me as thats the side he had a problem with/cut. If it's set up for the tapered donut gasket it won't work. Our stock gasket is flat there.

The Grimmspeed gasket 020031 may save me.- Doubt it now. Further reading shows the 3" gasket needed modifications on his install.

J pipe came with gasket to turbo, 3" gasket for the other end and new bolts/nuts to the stock exhaust.

No exhaust....just an $800usd j-pipe [emoji37]

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Are they charging you $200 shipping?

Not sure if full exhaust is available anymore. Wanted their mufflers, but they were $600 or something crazy.

You can PM RikGT, he supplies some 5th gen specific exhaust parts including the j-pipe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He sells all the good stuff, wish I knew before buying this J pipe. Oh well. Good info to have though, thanks!

It looks like it is discontinued. It was available 2 1/2 years ago when I bought my Invidia Q300 cat back exhaust (connects in the middle of the car). I initially used the Grimmspeed adapter when connecting my exhaust, but it pushed the exhaust back so it didn't quite fit right. I remove the adapter and the OEM tapered exhaust gaskets. It worked fine with regular gaskets and fit right. (It is amazing what 1/2" or so does for the exhaust fitment.)

The AVO J pipe just a short elbow section to replace the stock cat. The 5th Gen exhaust AVO exhaust went from the cat back and replaced the portion of the exhaust that is consider part of the J pipe. (It was also around $2000)

The stock gasket there was a flat one, so I planned on that. But the holes don't line up 100%. Going to try the one Scubaboo posted, what's another $20, right...

Did you just use the 3" gasket?

Edited by MarcoLGT

Sorry, I meant to type CDN

The exchange brings it to $840CDN + another $40usd shipping. That's at total of $910cdn

My wife might leave me if she ever found out what I paid for it.... especially when the stock one is still working just fine lol

Sorry, I meant to type CDN

The exchange brings it to $840CDN + another $40usd shipping. That's at total of $910cdn

My wife might leave me if she ever found out what I paid for it.... especially when the stock one is still working just fine lol

That's tough to swallow. Mine asked how much and I shot high and it worked! Helps that the check engine light came on, too. I also failed to mention it was a high flow 3" J pipe.

Although she was pissed when she found out about the wheels I bought. So mad she slept downstairs on the couch, lol! They were Rotas, could have been much worse honestly. She still loves me....I think :)

That's tough to swallow. Mine asked how much and I shot high and it worked! Helps that the check engine light came on, too. I also failed to mention it was a high flow 3" J pipe.

Although she was pissed when she found out about the wheels I bought. So mad she slept downstairs on the couch, lol! They were Rotas, could have been much worse honestly. She still loves me....I think :)

My wife is over the wheels now. This is the 4th car I've bought rims for in our marriage, so she doesn't get surprised anymore.

My cars will always have new shoes lol

I might just bite the bullet here. I have an extra set of rims I didn't install on my car after I learned not to risk a staggered set on a Subaru AWD. Been in my garage collecting dust for 2 years. I've gotten some low ball offers trying to sell them but I'll probably just take it and throw the money at the j-pipe.

The install I linked used the same adapter as you and needed modifications

I used mcg_ install to get my parts. Here

He cut the one side off because it didn't got into the stock exhaust, sounds like the same as yours. The AVO adapter is flat on the 3" side and portruding piece on the stock exhaust side, which concerns me as thats the side he had a problem with/cut. If it's set up for the tapered donut gasket it won't work. Our stock gasket is flat there.

The Grimmspeed gasket 020031 may save me.- Doubt it now. Further reading shows the 3" gasket needed modifications on his install.

J pipe came with gasket to turbo, 3" gasket for the other end and new bolts/nuts to the stock exhaust.

Are they charging you $200 shipping?

Not sure if full exhaust is available anymore. Wanted their mufflers, but they were $600 or something crazy.

He sells all the good stuff, wish I knew before buying this J pipe. Oh well. Good info to have though, thanks!

The stock gasket there was a flat one, so I planned on that. But the holes don't line up 100%. Going to try the one Scubaboo posted, what's another $20, right...

Did you just use the 3" gasket?

Thanks for the info! I think I need to review the installs again, its been a long time since I bought the downpipe. I want to have everything on hand when I tackle this.

Gawd the AVO parts are pricey!

J pipe is expensive for what it was. However, its the only one that matches the actual turbo outlet, exception is the $1000 HKS unit or custom. And it was already heat coated with a catalytic converter. About as close to bolt up can get. So ya gotta pay to play.

I need to double check my downpipe, gaskets and adapter set up, too. Already have new turbo stud/nuts and new upper brakcet modified. Got under the car to PB Blast nuts/bolts and hit them with a wire brush.

And like all mods the "while I'm in there" idea turned into a front sway bar upgrade waiting as well. I blame the MRT performance YouTube video I found that's 10 years old. You can see thre tech install it in thre background.

FWIW, the OBX exhaust, which is much cheaper, appears to be a "knock-off" of the AVO. I bought it (the OBX full exhaust, paid like $500 shipped) to mate up to my AVO DP years ago but haven't gotten around to it. Externally, it looks very similar (same bends, stainless steel, same size mufflers). Internally, who knows!? For example, the OBX downpipe looks identical to the AVO, even down to the bulge for the cat but, guess what, there is no cat in the OBX. lol I bet the mufflers have some horse hair or croutons stuffed inside!

Lastly, glad to see folks still look at my write-up. FWIW, the Grimmspeed also sells the proper 3" to 2.5" adapter (i.e., an adapter without the donut flange).

Hi mcg_, good to see you here! Your write up was one of the main ones I referenced off, very comprehensive. Thanks again for posting that.

IIRC it was your diy detailing the issues of properly mating the dp to the stock exhaust, and it recommended the Grimmspeed adapter and hybrid gasket with elongated bolt holes. This is what I got, and some stainless bungs too in case I want to put more sensors.

Marco, true, gotta pay to play, the AVO is really nicely built with a proper turbo flange and true cat. I got lucky getting it at a discount on ebay thankfully.