LegacyGT.com

TMIC studs stripped.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
helicoil is the answer. Why is this thread so long?

Max Capacity is why....

This thread is longer than necessary because I'm being extra cautious with my $1000 intercooler that has <1000 miles on it.

I've fudged up my fair share of installs but if I stripped this hole, then I truly don't know my own strength.

Admittedly I'm being more cautious now then I was at the time of install. Really don't feel like paying for this intercooler twice or having my motor rebuilt again because it ingested a helicoil.

I am confident in my repair ability and as stated previously will go with whatever method the manufacturer recommends.

I was actually hoping someone had encountered this before and could chime in with more than just an opinion.

One is badly damaged and the other is either slightly damaged or I'm imagining things.

When I pulled it out of the box the 2 studs were not the same length and I should have known something was off right then.

If the helicoil is installed correctly it will not come out when the bolt is installed. The worst that can happen is if there is galvanic corrosion between the metals. If you use some anti-seize compound on the threads you should be fine.

Hope I'm not (you make everything into a big production. This is a very simple DYI thing. not a "take it to a machine shop" thing.)

If you don't feel comfortable working on this, be smart and let the experts do it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am confident in my repair ability and as stated previously will go with whatever method the manufacturer recommends.

I was actually hoping someone had encountered this before and could chime in with more than just an opinion.

I have done it with my 20g also aluminum and costs a bit more than your TMIC.

I have done it with my 20g also aluminum and costs a bit more than your TMIC.

So you have something useful to add to this overly long and redundant thread after all. :spin:

Did you use any type of thread sealant when installing the helicoil, or when torquing down the bolt, or both? If so, what did you use that would hold up to the heat created in that region?

standard stainless coil a spot of anti-seize and a stainless grade 8 bolt. I prefer the stick type of anti-seize vs the brush. Have you ever put in a HC before? The thread tap for a HC is NPT so dont tap too deep and it will never "go through"

This isnt a wheel you wont have it on and off a lot; just be aware and take care when removing and installing.

Yes I have installed many helicoil but never in a through hole and never in anything this thin.

The wall of the tmic is about 1/4" thick at best. I believe I'll have to thread the entire thing to get even 5 threads. Therein lies my concern.

Its still on the car so I'm hesitant to pull off the BPV for pics. That's what spawned this whole thread.

My indecision with which route to take. My gut tells me to drill and tap a larger size, but while I was waiting on Grimmspeed's recommendation I figured I would see if anyone had some real world experience to share.

I have a turbosmart Kompact BPV waiting to be installed and it seems like a better candidate if I have to go with a larger bolt.

Yes, easier to open up the holes in the aluminum flange than to drill out the thin brass inserts in the stock BPV.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160823/f5a8eb289ca6f66bf981b42aeba0a4f7.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160823/29eb8960babcddc49c8a26459d67a6d3.jpg

Crappy cell phone pics but I think they illustrate my point on thickness and location.

well, it is easy to remove the GS tmic.

If you want to drill and tap for a larger bolt, You may want to put a piece of tape on the back of the hole or have a vacuum source to suck up the metal chips.

I seem to recall the outlet of the tmic is right below that, so you may be able to plug the 2" Sears Shop vac hose into the outlet and tape it there.

Think about what your going to do and have plan.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived