LegacyGT.com

More comfortable seat alternatives?

cluesblues

So I've got my '05 Legacy 2.5i that I've owned for the past 6 years and 80k kms, and the seats are really starting to take a toll on my back. If the trip is an hour or less I'm fine. 3 hours gives me some serious backache. 6 hours? Yeesh.

I'm 6'5" 205lb and this thing seems to not have proper lumbar support, cushioning, thigh support, or maybe even the proper adjustment. I have the base model (Canadian market) Legacy with heated manual cloth seats. I swear to god my buddy's fixed-back Bride racing buckets in his Evo X are comfier than this thing on a long trip.

Is the Limited/GT/Spec.B seat a worthy upgrade in that regard? Does the power adjustment, leather/alcantara, or extra shoulder padding make a worthwhile difference? Has anyone swapped in seats from a different car altogether for some better support and comfort (WRX/STi?), or even aftermarket? I'd rather not give up heating and airbags if at all possible.

Just want to see what my options are without just buying a different car.

I'm 6'1" with a tall torso, and a bit of a tubby piece of garbage at 235lbs.

I really like the seats in my 2.5GT limited. I'm not sure how they compare to the 2.5i seats. The bolstering is excellent (especially compared to the newer cars), lumbar support is decent, and there are enough adjustments to be very comfortable for long trips.

My only real complaint is that the thigh support is a bit lacking, but I could probably improve on this by raising the front of the seat beyond the adjustment range, or lowering the back of the seat. Lowering the back of the seat will probably be the option I use, since I'll gain a lower seating position and more clearance for driving with a helmet on.

Yeah I think the bottom cushions are the same as the 2.5i.

How much adjustment does your seat have? All I have is backrest, the most useless lumbar adjustment ever, forward/backward (stays fully back because I'm lanky), and the manual up/down lever. Do the power leather seats add any more?

Yeah I think the bottom cushions are the same as the 2.5i.

How much adjustment does your seat have? All I have is backrest, the most useless lumbar adjustment ever, forward/backward (stays fully back because I'm lanky), and the manual up/down lever. Do the power leather seats add any more?

There is an extra adjustment for the base section. The front of the base can move up/down and the back of the base can also move up/down. According to Subaru, they are 8-way adjustable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Here's a thought, are the cloth power seats in the '08-09 cars 8-way power adjustable? I'm not too attached to leather and there's a ton of '08-09 Outbacks in junkyards here...

I believe the 8-way power option was only available for the GT (and possibly Limited) and L.L. Bean editions (Legacy and Outback), and I'm pretty sure those all had leather or leather/alcantara seats (no cloth). I think I saw a mention the other day that the cloth seats have 6-way power adjustment, but I am not certain about that.

Anyone know if 15+ STi (manual) seats will bolt in to '05 LGT ?? any help is appreciated!

It is possible...with some degree of modification. You have to swap the seat rails from your LGT onto the STi seats and one of the brackets that they attach to has to be modified to allow it to attach to the LGT rails. There are a bunch of threads about this on various sites if you spend enough time with teh magic Google machine.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been seeing that there might be some compatibility issues putting '06+ Legacy/OB seats in an '05. Can anyone elaborate? Something to do with the seatbelt mounting and the occupancy sensor?

Yes I believe the difference is one is a plate sensor for the passenger seat weight airbag sensor and the other year is 4 corner sensors.

I'm looking into putting 05 obxt front plastic/leather seats in an 02 legacy with power nothing. There are harness and wires under the seats for something. We don't have airbag sensored seats so maybe heated seats or power seats could a simple wire splice get the job done to make the power seats work. I even think there is a fuse for it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived