LegacyGT.com

24mm Front Sway Bar Installed!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I read somewhere our front sway bar is 26mm stock?

I believe that myself and another 5th Gen owner were under the impression that the 6th Gen had a 26mm FSB carried over from the facelift 5th Gen. It appears it does not, from my visual inspection (didn't measure, just looked at both a 2016 Legacy and Outback) and others here who claim it is 22mm. Sorry for that.

Someone here needs to post a pic of a set of calipers on a 2015+ Legacy front sway bar showing the measurement to put this issue to bed.

Someone here needs to post a pic of a set of calipers on a 2015+ Legacy front sway bar showing the measurement to put this issue to bed.

0.853" = 21.67mm

EDIT: Found on a Subaru parts website that it's listed as a 21mm

http://imgur.com/vFsZRVu.jpg

Edited by andrew_l_s

Also, out of curiosity, would the stock 26mm from 5th gens fit the 6th gen?

Not if the bar that Dr. Photo installed fits a WRX and Forester. They are significantly different. The 5th Gen has an unusual front motor mount, engine cradle and the rear motor mounts are mounted on the transmission, a setup that no other Subaru shares, so the bars are not compatable.

Edited by GTEASER

A few thoughts on the upgrade.

Handling is sick. Seriously, sick. I haven't driven a car with this kind of comfortable stability, maybe a 2004 325xi, but even that wasn't as comfortable. Then again, I could just be in the honeymoon phase of the upgrade :lol:

When driving through the city, I hear a clicking noise (metal on metal). It's not frequent at all. I think (most likely) that this may either be the angled part of the bar clicking on the metal frame underneath it, or the 10mm stud of the end link clicking around in the 12mm hole of the strut, where it mounts. I doubt it is the second, and since it is a more expensive fix, I am going to put rubber bump mounts under the bar, so that they do not hit the corner of the metal frame.

Also, still haven't installed the two gold rings that lock the sway bar from side to side, since it was such a tight fit. I will balance out the bar and put those locks on, then take some pics, and get an update out.

Is it just me or does it look like maybe that sway bad was installed backwards? I'll look at mine and see if it goes under or over those control arms...pretty sure thy should be over.

Nope, I was wrong, it looks crazy but it matches mine. VERY long end links.

However, the bends in the bar look to go a lot lower to the ground than the stock bar(see pic of stock setup below), and look at all the open air around the end of my stock bar, and how close yours is to the...um....not sure what that is. I don't know if your end link needs to be even longer, or of the shape of the bar is not quite right, but something is wrong and I bet you get some "clack" sounds when you turn, no?

Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but this doesn't look right.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160807/6143707a50bcf4f961c9c3a8138bde3e.jpg

Edited by aotus

Nope, I was wrong, it looks crazy but it matches mine. VERY long end links.

However, the bends in the bar look to go a lot lower to the ground than the stock bar(see pic of stock setup below), and look at all the open air around the end of my stock bar, and how close yours is to the...um....not sure what that is. I don't know if your end link needs to be even longer, or of the shape of the bar is not quite right, but something is wrong and I bet you get some "clack" sounds when you turn, no?

Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but this doesn't look right.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160807/6143707a50bcf4f961c9c3a8138bde3e.jpg

Originally, I had a set of shorter end links on, and they were interfering with the control arms. That is where the marks on the sway bar came from. After putting in the current(longer) end links, there is no interference at all with the control arms.

Now, the only (slight) problem, is that since the middle of the sway bar (in between the bends) is a little too short, the sway bar clacks onto the metal frame underneath it. Check the third photo, you can see a little metal wear underneath the bar.

Other than that, no problems whatsoever. I am loving the turning power!!

When I did the install, the bushings were not closing around the bar 100%. I also had my little cousin take these pics for me, so I have not looked at the bushings myself, but from the photos, they do look bent up a bit.

Any idea why this would happen?

This bar was not made for your car, that's all there is to it. It's an 08-14 WRX / 09-2013 Forester bar, and your entire car is wider than those chassis. I'm not suprised its "clacking" against the subframe.

It definitely is not a 100% clean install, that I expected from the beginning, but in my opinion, does work well, and is 95% there. Until we get a front sway bar made, I will definitely be keeping this on.