LegacyGT.com

2010 3.6R Suspension upgrades on a budget

My 2010 Legacy 3.6R is begging for new suspension with almost 140k miles on it. My school is around the corner and working a minimum wage summer job is not helping me build my 3.6R any time soon.

Anyways I decided to finally invest money into suspension but I am a bit worried I won't get the best ones for my money. I cannot spend too much but if something is $100 more, I am willing to invest in that.

Right now the major culprit is springs/structs combo. Should I upgrade my 2010 with 2013 springs/structs. Or invest into something even better. (keeping in mind price) Looking at the Bilstein 3.6R setup but they are too expensive right now. :lol: What about KYBs? Or King Rally Springs.

I really want to do the 24mm sway bar up front and an upgraded one in the rear. I would also touch the end links because they are a bit noisy (knocking it seems). If anybody recommends any end links?

I would appreciate fellow Legacy owners opinions upon this topic. Thank you in advance.

As the most recent 3.6R on here to upgrade my sway bars (did them about a week ago), I'm a huge proponent of doing these as a first option. I would go with the OEM 26mm front bar from the 2013 Legacy since the 3.6R is a bit heavy up front, and the 20mm rear bar from the 2015 STi, if you're working with a budget. You can pick up the pair from any dealership or online, with the bushings, for less than $200 total, and they completely revitalize the car's side-to-side feel. Part numbers are:

20401AJ08A - 26 mm FSB

20414AJ10A - FSB bushings

20451VA000 - 20 mm RSB

20464VA000 - RSB bushings

Can't really say much for other suspension components since I haven't done anything else, but the sways are a great jumping off point.

If you're wanting more stiffness, you can also go with the Whiteline 22 mm RSB, but that can run more than the two I mentioned by itself. All depends on your budget.

As the most recent 3.6R on here to upgrade my sway bars (did them about a week ago), I'm a huge proponent of doing these as a first option. I would go with the OEM 26mm front bar from the 2013 Legacy since the 3.6R is a bit heavy up front, and the 20mm rear bar from the 2015 STi, if you're working with a budget. You can pick up the pair from any dealership or online, with the bushings, for less than $200 total, and they completely revitalize the car's side-to-side feel. Part numbers are:

20401AJ08A - 26 mm FSB

20414AJ10A - FSB bushings

20451VA000 - 20 mm RSB

20464VA000 - RSB bushings

Can't really say much for other suspension components since I haven't done anything else, but the sways are a great jumping off point.

Thank you for the part numbers. I will make sure to get those as one of the first things I perform.

I went with the OEM bushings just for ease of obtainment and price point (they're seriously like only $5). They seem good enough right now, but I haven't tried the poly bushings, so I couldn't say. I believe the polys will be a bit firmer.

Are they better, not a chance, but they are good enough for what your car will see short of a track day. Moog suspension parts are also a good oem upgrade and available a lot of places online so shop and compare prices to get the best deal.

As for the suspension...what are your long term goals? If money is the issue then do your sway bars and save up some cash, do it once but do it right. That will save you more money in the long run than doing it half right now and having to redo it later.

Are they better, not a chance, but they are good enough for what your car will see short of a track day. Moog suspension parts are also a good oem upgrade and available a lot of places online so shop and compare prices to get the best deal.

As for the suspension...what are your long term goals? If money is the issue then do your sway bars and save up some cash, do it once but do it right. That will save you more money in the long run than doing it half right now and having to redo it later.

My long term goals for this car is too have stiff suspension, not track STi stiff, but maybe BMW M3 or M5 stiff. I may take it out to the local track to have some fun but not on a daily basis. Should I wait and get the Bilstein upgrade or the OEM 2013?

I haven't driven a 12-down but my 14' is decent in stock form for handling, way better than my 02' WRX in stock form. Note I said "decent". I plan on a 20mm rear bar and leave it for a while because family car. The 13'-14' stock struts and springs would stiff things up too but I don't think you'll get M Series handling with stock stuff. Bushings are another consideration, 140k and you're in Michigan, I bet they could use some love too.

Somewhere around $300-$400 for springs/structs. I can wait until next summer and save up more money for a bigger budget.

A decent set of springs alone would run you around $300... I'd say save up for the upgrade unless your struts are totally shot. If so, I'd take the hit on an upgrade that'll last you awhile (ex bilsteins/konis) I'm not sure you'd save a ton of $ going the 2013 strut route unless you find some used

I guess I can wait until next summer and save some money up. Do it the right way. For now I will upgrade the sway bars. Many have mentioned Konis. I didn't know they made Konis for the 2010 Legacy. Which ones would be better? The GTWORX Bilstein kit with the black springs, or Koni inserts with the black springs? Both are probably around the same price? I know the Bilstein kit with springs are $1,200.

So are you going to be doing all the suspension work yourself? Do you have the tools and know-how? Or buddies/family with the know-how? The reason I ask, is that having a shop do the work is going to increase the cost dramatically. This will have an affect on the order in which I would recommend that you proceed with the improvements.

If I was you I would buy the parts as I could until I had them all, then go for the install. If you know how, with a friend who could help or forum member if not. Some lunch and refreshments should cover an afternoon of wrenching.

And fyi the koni parts for the legacy are actually made for the wrx 08-14, rears are shocks fronts are inserts. And you could actually do the front in one day and the rear another or vise versa. If memory serves the koni parts are around $600 then your choice of springs

I will work on the suspension myself. I know my way around a car it just I don't know what the difference is between some of the parts. I already replaced the sway bar bushings on the Legacy when I got it with 115,000 miles. My first car was a Forester and I replaced all the structs for KYBs. I have the tools like the spring compressor.

If I was you I would buy the parts as I could until I had them all, then go for the install. If you know how, with a friend who could help or forum member if not. Some lunch and refreshments should cover an afternoon of wrenching.

Yeah it would be easier just to do everything at the same time. Maybe I will just completely wait off on it until I get all the parts next summer. I will make sure to post a thread with pictures of the upgrades. :)

You could do everything for $1100 +/- just a little.

Koni front inserts 8610-1453S - $300

Koni rear shocks 8010-1055S - $300

2013 Legacy OEM springs - $200 (or aftermarket springs for $200-$350)

2015 STi 20mm RSB with bushing - $100

2013 Legacy 26mm FSB with bushing - $100

Moog End links (all 4) - $150

You will also want to be thinking about replacing some control arm bushings, but that could happen next year, just keep in mind that your tire wear may be a little faster than normal with those old bushings.

My long term goals for this car is too have stiff suspension, not track STi stiff, but maybe BMW M3 or M5 stiff. I may take it out to the local track to have some fun but not on a daily basis. Should I wait and get the Bilstein upgrade or the OEM 2013?

Koni yellow would be the best way to go. Bilisteins are excellent but the koni's are fully adjustable and will go from softer to bilisteins to stiffer then them. They also can be had for $630 for the set vs the bilistein for 800-1000.

Don't bother with the 2014 struts, they are not cheap for what you get (they aren't much cheaper then koni yellows last I looked) and while they are better, you should save your money to get a proper upgrade

Or you could do stock 13+springs and koni's that would still be close to $1k for everything unless you shopped for something used.

stealing my future setup I see lol

Actually legacy OEM springs can be had for $110 shipped. subaruonlineparts.com rocks!

Actually legacy OEM springs can be had for $110 shipped. subaruonlineparts.com rocks!

KYB struts can be bought for less $250 from rock auto, they are rumored to be the stiffer strut (or at least similiar) that came on the 2013/2014 Legacy. I guess you could be replaced your 2010 springs and struts to the stiffer 2013/2014 suspension minus the front sway bar for your budget. If you want to lower your car neither of those are going to do the trick.

You could do everything for $1100 +/- just a little.

Koni front inserts 8610-1453S - $300

Koni rear shocks 8010-1055S - $300

2013 Legacy OEM springs - $200 (or aftermarket springs for $200-$350)

2015 STi 20mm RSB with bushing - $100

2013 Legacy 26mm FSB with bushing - $100

Moog End links (all 4) - $150

You will also want to be thinking about replacing some control arm bushings, but that could happen next year, just keep in mind that your tire wear may be a little faster than normal with those old bushings.

Seems like a nice setup. I am set on this setup then. I will include control arm bushings since the high millage. I agree with everyone, it is better to first do it right instead of wrong.

I am sure my car will handle one more year with the stock setup.

Seems like a nice setup. I am set on this setup then. I will include control arm bushings since the high millage. I agree with everyone, it is better to first do it right instead of wrong.

I am sure my car will handle one more year with the stock setup.

Unless you add a ton of power which might produce extra wear n tear I think you'll be fine

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Archived