LegacyGT.com

Prepping for VF52 + Supporting mods. Have Questions

I have had it since early Nov. 2016...leaking VCG (insert surprise face) prompted me to start modding. Now has VF52, GrimmSpeed Catted DP, Invidia catless UP, DW 850's, Cobb V3, Custom tune by Mike @ Tuning Alliance! Soon to install my LC-2 4.9 WB from Innovate...Mike has been amazing! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OH MY GOD sigh. I've been planning to upgrade to vf52 but this thread makes me want to cry.

Well, stay on stock fueling then.

After 5 years, 50k miles on my vf-52 with stock fueling and TA pro tune, I have not had any of these issues. I sometimes think I want to upgrade the injectors, and then I read threads like these...

Have to agree, my vf52 has about 95,000 miles on Mikes tune with stock fueling. Very fun car to drive.

Thanks Max, I followed your build thread to a tee. My car has been dead nuts reliable. I'm a believer, haha!!

At this point, I'm gonna do the same but add a pump.

I have had it since early Nov. 2016...leaking VCG (insert surprise face) prompted me to start modding. Now has VF52, GrimmSpeed Catted DP, Invidia catless UP, DW 850's, Cobb V3, Custom tune by Mike @ Tuning Alliance! Soon to install my LC-2 4.9 WB from Innovate...Mike has been amazing! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Glad it worked out for you!

• 2 months later...

Resurrection.

Car is finally running great. I owe you guys some information. In case you're wondering how it got to this point:

After all of these previous mishaps, multiple nightmare situations with Andrewtech and Deatschwerks, wanting to blame my tuners, etc...:

I took the car to Jermaine at TurboXS, had him look it over, and he told me that Andrewtech had installed/plumbed the EBCS backwards. In addition to this, the front/primary O2 sensor was bad. Jermaine was able to dyno-tune the car after swapping the EBCS lines, but the car would still randomly run rich. I swapped out the front O2 for a new OEM unit, and the thing runs like a god damn top. FINALLY.

Jermaine said the car made 305whp/349wtq (on a DynaPack), and I'm very happy. I do not blame Tuning Alliance nor Cryotune for not being able to figure this out, it was a hardware issue that was not possible or easy to figure out just by looking at logs. This is something I should have caught myself, if I had actually paid attention to the EBCS. I just didn't think that a shop as 'prestigious' as Andrewtech was capable of making such a mistake.

All is well with her now. I never get any Fine Knock Learning, though of course we all get that little bit of random noise Feedback Knock from time to time. The car is fun to drive daily, and surprising people in a station wagon is always a plus!

I have learned from my mistakes during this process for when I move onto the next car, and I hope that some of you can as well.

Thank you all for your time, suggestions, and assistance, I really do appreciate it. If anyone has any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Glad to hear its finally running great. The problem now is, your going to enjoy driving it so much, you want want to sell it. Trust me on that one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How is this possible on a vf52?

I'm running 364whp and 418ftlbs on my fv-52... With the right supporting mods and tune it's very doable.. 22psi at peak, tapers to 18 at readline

I'm also running 1000cc injectors, dw fuel pump, grimmspeed boost controller, 3" Cobb turbo back, and a grimmspeed tmic...

And on that note the only mode I see missing from your list is an intercooler upgrade!

Archived