LegacyGT.com

New wheel bearing, now many codes!

Hi, I have an 05 Legacy which I just replaced the RF wheel bearing with a timken. Drove about 400 miles over the course of a week with no problems. This morning, driving through a parking lot and the ABS kicks in when the brake pedal is depressed. Go about 100 ft and the CEL light comes on, followed by the ABS light a few minutes later. Scanning for codes yields the following:

P0500 - Vehicle speed sensor fault

C0107 - ABS wheel speed sensor malfunction RH

C0108 - ABS wheel speed sensor malfunction LH

C0140 - CAN communication malfunction

Can all of these be related to the new hub? All of my searching shows that I should have been good with a Timken...maybe I got a bad one. I was going to swap back in the old one to see if that solves it. Or should I just grab a better one (SKF or OEM) and return the old one? Any help is appreciated!

I should also note that the car is running like crap. I have to manually shift it (4EAT) otherwise it just redlines. The fan comes on as soon as the key is turned, even with the car cold. It is running very rough and is sluggish. When I monitor conditions with my scan tool, it shows the vehicle speed as much higher than actual. Reading 100 mph at 55-60. All gauges are working properly tho.

1st question, just in case: did you swap over the ABS sensor/magnet/whatever?

Lots of people have had ABS issues with non-OEM FRONT hubs. Rears seems less finicky. OEM is definitely the ONLY one I would trust for fronts, due to the various issues people have had. Detroit Axle seems to be a good cheap brand on ebay for rears..

If it were my car, I'd take the sensor out, inspect it, the wire, just visually inspect that whole area. Then maybe I'd consider contacting timken or the retailer for a replacement.

If its a bad hub this would be the first Timken that's done that.

If the old one is still usable, I'd do that one first. Been there, done that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I agree with doing a visual inspection of the sensor itself. I would wager that all the codes are related to the ABS sensor and not to the wheel bearing itself. If you know of an import salvage yard in your area you could probably find a replacement for dirt cheap. I just bought a new spindle from a junkyard and they sold it to me with the old wheel bearing, ABS sensor (all be it a little melted from torching), and brake dust shield all still attached.

Did you make sure to pull the sensor out first before removing the old wheel bearing?

Thank you for all of the replies! I did pull the sensor before removing the hub. At that time, there was no damage to the wiring. I will check everything tomorrow. If I don't find anything, I will swap in the old bearing. Either way, I'll report back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ok, so it was definitely the hub. When I pulled it, there was some debris between the hub and axle that wasn't there before. I recalled that just before the problem popped up, there was a noise in that corner that sounded like a rock hitting the wheel well. I wonder if that was the hub failing somehow....bearing itself still seems tight with no wierd noises. The sensor did sustain damage from whatever was in there but installing the old hub solved the issue. I think I'm going to return this one and grab an skf. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived