LegacyGT.com

Whats the fastest 16g lgt/obxt ?

Im headed to the track fri the 29th and want to know not what to expect but what to beat !

My car made 311tq and 325hp last time it was on a dyno and tjat was at 18psi and a shitty tune. It now has 22.5 psi on a great tine and hits 60mp a full second faster 4.7 sec consistently. I estimate its 350whp how it sits. I am about to do a ceramic coated equal length header and will ice the crap out of the intercooler.

Im not trying to be the fastest lgt but i am trying to be the fastest w a 16g. Right after doing the 16g my motor blew and now its a fully built motor and i wanna see what the bnr evo 16g is capable of...

Im expecting a mid 12 but hoping for an 11.9999999 lol

fully built , how so? Why not get a bigger turbo? I doubt ceramic coated headers would do much at that point. For the cost of the headers, you could sell your 16g and buy an 18g/20g, and make way more power... just saying. Somebody has to be the devils advocate :lol:

I realize that a 16g with a fully built motor is ass backwards. Had i blown the motor before the turbo swap i would have done a 20g w 100cc injectors vs the 16g and 850's it currently has. I wasnt about to throw another yard motor in it so i did:

new ej257 case halves

Manley 8.5 pistons

Manley tuff rods

Nitrate treated sti crank

Sti pump

And pretty much every bolt on available

Suposedy that will handle 7-800hp

But my 5eat wolnt lol so im goina stick with the 16g for now and see what kind of power i can milk out of it. As it sits ive already roasted a 450hp sti with rotated gt35 turbo at 25psi.

As far as an equal length ceramic coated header not being worth it, i strongy disagree. Every thread i have read says 20-30hp increase reguardless of the set up. With the elh you cn run more avcs and higher ignition timing due to lower egt

The evo3 16g is capable of the same power as the 18g w better spool, and ive seen them hit 400tq w a 5eat

The 5EAT is more reliable with a turbo that hits it's torque peak way after the stall speed of the stock torque converter. I've seen more high output 16G setups grenade the 5EAT than 20G setups because the 20G's power comes on later when the TC is locked, and therefore produces much much less heat. If I were you I'd at least run the F1 valve body and an ATF cooler if you're doing 1/4mi passes.

If you're going to spend the time and money on an ELH, at least add an EWG while you're at it.

How are you launching the car? It sounds like you're probably leaving quite a bit on the table off the line.

Aside from that, agreed on the valvebody and trans cooler.

On other platforms (honda/acura) I have seen great results by switching to an ATF with much less friction modifier content and increasing line pressure, but those were bizarre non-planetary automatics with crude electronic controls.

I am currently hitting peak tq just over 4k and peak hp around 5200 stall speed is 3500

in 2nd gear it hits max boost (22.5) at 4k

in 3rd gear max boost @ 3500

in 4th gear max boost @ 3300....

i am running a lot more requested tq than the oem tune calls for which raises the transmission line pressure, this is not as good as an f1 valve body but it is much better than nothing, and makes shifts faster, firmer, and revs higher at mid throttle angles.

in addition i also have an external cooler installed before the cooler in the rad so it gets cooled first, then normallized by rad temps incase of overcooling via aftermarket cooler, also my fan temps are changed in the tune so my engine runs 179-189 never hits 190 and usually just sits at 185 even with back to back pulls or long idle periods. before changing fan temps i ran from 190-206 so this also helps trans temps since they share a a piece of radiator

i see no need for ewg, i may port the evo3 16g a little bit esp around the wg, but with the current exhaust i have zero spikes and never ever overboost, my actual boost is pretty much glued to the target boost in the logs and that is with wgd of 50-60 in higher rpms. when i had a louder exhaust previously it was 0wgdc and hitting 24psi, so i did add a muffler to keep things in check.

if i do end up porting the turbo while doing the header install i will most likely ditch the 3rd muffler because it did chock me a tiny bit, i got the boost back via tuning but the grev went down and i lost 0.10 sec in my 0-60, but the volume is perfect half the drone so i dealt with it

the way i currently launch the car is as follows;

sport mode (manual)

shift manually into 2nd gear

brake boost to what looks like 3.3k on tach but logs show 3.5k

let off break, sqauat and gone

I then shift into d and back to sport before 2nd gear runs out, i do this because it shifts faster and firmer in sport vs sport manual so i use manual to start in 2nd (skipping the 1-2 shift completely) and then throw it in reg soprt for the better 2-3 shift. i can do 0-60 in 4.7 like this and it was 4.6 before the 3rd muffler

as far as fluid i run the subaru hp fluid

on a side note i installed an intercooler sprayer in the scoop/splitter area and have added some timing, the maf numbers are getting closer to the winter #'s i was running, so it deff helped. right now its just coming out of the hoses with no nozzel but ill have nozzles on it soon which will help atomize it to a mist which will be more effective, since its not the wetting of the intercooler that displases heat its the evaporation of the water and alch that takes the heat away, mist will obviosly ezaporate faster and more efficiently then spashing out, but its a start lol

https://www.facebook.com/travis.seuren/videos/10207068568012360/

If your goal is to get everything you can out of the 16g, then an ELH, EWG, and FMIC will be needed.

Just because your boost control is solid doesn't mean you won't have gains with an EWG, especially with a nice ELH like the killer B. You will get into boost faster than an IWG, and you will make more power up top because you won't have the added flow and turbulence of the WG gases being pushed through the already inefficient stock subaru turbine housing.

Full boost at 3.5k in 3rd? That's a really crappy 16g...

My td06sl2 20g would hit 20psi by 3400.

It takes longer to propel a 16g to 22.5 psi vs a 20g to 20 psi

Most would only run a 16g at 18psi maybe 20. If i was targeting a max boost of 18 i would hit it by 3100 rpm in 3rd. But 22.5 on my turbo is like 25psi on your 20g as far as maxing out the compressor

Also this is a 5eat car, so the turbos spools later than a mt. This is because the auto revs up faster and then holds stall speed till the trans catches up to the engine.

When you do a pull on a stick the engine has a direct link and loads up faster. With my 5eat if i floor it in 3rd manual at 2k it imidiatly revs to 3 so the turbo dosnt have as much time to spool.

The evo316g is an exelent turbo for the street but starts running out of steam

By the way i love how mike07gt was the only person who even remotley stayed on topic lol

The post is asking whats the "fastest 16g lgt"

All you guys have answered with is, how to drive it, how i have the wrong turbo, other parts i need.....

What i want to know is the fastest lgt/obxt you have seen that had a 16g turbocharger.

About to install this ceramic coated and wrapped equal length header. Should be able to incraese timing and avcs quite a bit w this addition. I already added an intecooler sprayer and have since added 2 deg of timing w no extra knocks. Hitting close to winter maf #'s

Haha 5eat wolnt launch thats funny !

Ive been doing 0-60 in 4.6-4.7 for a while now !

Launches at 20psi in 2nd hear and hits 19mph instantly !

Id call that a decent launch to say the least.

Not saying its good for the trans. But ive launched it that way 50 times over the last 30k mile

Chirp squat gone !

Evo/DSM have been running 11's with big 16gs for decades. I don't think a BNR 16g can move nearly the amount of air that an Evo 16g could, tho. Why not get a WRX/STi fitment big 16g and go from there? Might need to redo your intercooler and charge hose, but that's your best bet, if you absolutely must run a 16g..
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

What yr "bigger wrx fitment" are you refering to ?

The 08+ wrx uses the same fitment turbo as my obxt.

I have my tmic ported out a bit and the turbo has been ported/port matched as well along w headers and up pipe too

You can get an Evo-sized "big" 16g for an 02-07 WRX / 04-16 STi that would outflow your BNR unit for sure.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Archived