LegacyGT.com

Before you toss out that old blower motor/transistor because of loud noises, try this

I had a loud blower motor in my '09 2.5i and it was driving me crazy. So I pulled a motor out of an '05 and dropped it in my dash. The noise was still there. I'm thinking that a leaf or something is stuck somewhere (because the motor sounds good when it's not mounted under the dash) so I blast compressed air through the vents and everywhere. Same noise.

So I search the forums and people are saying to switch the transistor too. I would have done that if not for the fact that it was a rainy day and I had an extra motor at my disposal. So I took one apart.

I finally got it apart and it was pretty rusty. And I'm thinking that its rust that is making the motor run loud!

So here's what I did to the other motor that I didn't mutilate...

1) Remove it from the dash.

2) Remove the sticker that covers the end of the motor.

3) Tap the metal thing that the sticker covers lightly with a hammer, rust dust will fall out of the housing.

4) Shoot some brake cleaner in there (where the sticker was covering) for good measure (this might not be necessary but I thought it was a good idea.)

5) Get some bearing oil and soak the bearing (under the sticker).

6) Replace sticker with cooler sticker.

7) Place back in the dash.

Something that I did in one of those steps made the blower motor run quietly again. Just might be something to try before you drop some dough on some new stuff.

IMG_1621.JPG.c9c7cd4dbbba7f46c6931ab61e3ddbb5.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG.08ed14c75da8c066738fc086e0085d2c.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG.9027fc9a38a51ceff557efafd9a44127.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG.43296e7a438db164d451d3ae8a115991.JPG

are there just three bolts that hold the blower in the housing ? I tried to pull mine a few weeks back, removed the three bolts but couldn't get it out of the housing.

Am I missing something ?

Is there a clip or something ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yep. Just three bolts hold it in, no clip (not counting the electrical connector). I find it easiest to use an 8mm socket. All three are the same size, color, and shape so maybe you pulled a bolt from something else by accident. I unscrewed way too many things the first time I did it.

I would highly recommend against spraying brake cleaner or any other solvent under that sticker unless you're able to completely disassemble the fan from its housing. Ideally you'd be able to pull the rotor from the stator (generally there's some sort of circlip that prevents it from being removed), and then give the bearings a good clean and oiling (if it's a sleeve-bearing) or greasing (if it's an open ball-bearing)..

Archived