LegacyGT.com

Safe to break in motor on stock tune

zero260

I've got a quick question. I recently rebuilt my motor and have a few upgrades done on an 05 OBXT. Is it safe to drive around and break the motor in on a stock tune or do I need to get something done just to break it in. I don't have all my parts I plan on using yet, so I don't want to get a full tune just to get another one after break in and more parts if I don't have to.

Heres my list I have done.

ej255 bored .020 over

3mm intake spacers

tgv flappers removed

STI intake swap

bigger TMIC(came with car)

18G turbo(came with car, speed daddy maybe, might be replacing)

GS up-pipe

custom 3in to dual 2.5 exhaust

DW D65c pump

EBay silcone intake hose

Boost guage, no AFR yet

Still stock

factory air box

factory injectors(will be getting 850s)

Let me know if I'm an idiot for thinking about using the stock tune, I just want to drive it a bit before having to chase down a tuner and spend a bunch more on parts(need to save up for a bit)

I'd recommend getting off the stock tune as well... to be honest, since you're running stock airbox and injectors, I'd drop the cash on a VAGCOM cable (easily under $15-20) and learn the basics of tuning on your own... sure, it's got some learning curve, but really, it's not excessively difficult and you don't need anything more than a laptop (or an android device and BtSsm), some time, and some patience. The amount you'll learn about how the ECU works and how the car operates will help you take care of your car and keep it in good shape. There's plenty of resources on these forums, the RomRaider forums, and on the web in general.

Archived