LegacyGT.com

Looking at an 08 3.0R

Is there a thread on known problems and what to look for on a 4th gen Legacy? I looked at the stickies and did a quick search but really did see much. My wife loves my 10 LGT and wants to sell her Jeep Grand Cherokee to buy one also. We found a 2008 3.0R limited we are supposed to look at Saturday morning. It looks really clean with right around 95K. And tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I have had my 09 3.0r for a little over a year now, (bought at 47,xxx now at 61,xxx) and its been a great car. With the ez30 you don't have to worry about timing belt service like the ej motors since they have a dual timing chain setup so that's a plus. My friends family dealership has a 3rd gen h6 outback that has 437,xxx miles on it and still runs great lol.

Keep up with the fluid changes and be happy.

Most issues here deal with the GT's, but I'm sure the wheel bearings are a common problem. At least with the 05-06's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Keep up with the fluid changes and be happy.

Most issues here deal with the GT's, but I'm sure the wheel bearings are a common problem. At least with the 05-06's.

Wheel bearings are basically a problem for anything with a subaru badge.

Other than that, an H6 gives you a car that's decently ballsy, without the GT-related hypochondria.

With a naturally aspirated car you also much more quickly hit a wall as far as what the practical "next step" performance modifications are, so you're a lot less likely to go down the rabbit hole of stupid thoughts like "I think I'd enjoy this car more if I just put a bigger turbo on it" "now I need a new intercooler to take advantage of the extra boost".

I'd have bought a 6 cylinder car if they could be had with a manual gearbox. Put an intake a set of headers on it with a nice exhaust to make her sound like a 911 GT3 going down the back straight, and probably been happy with it.

-Definitely wheel bearings, they'll be quietly humming.

-I don't know about the 3.0's but I assume the fourth gen control arm bushings in the front are all the same. They get worn and crack. Both sides are bad right now on my 2009 GT. If you pay someone to do it, it will be pricey.

-Leaking axle boots.

-Head gasket leaks (even low mileage, my Mom's '05 outback with around 50k miles on it has had one of the head gaskets go). I think by 2010 all the models were built with updated head gaskets though (don't quote me on that, a dealer salesman told me something like that). It seems to be more of an issue with the naturally aspirated EJ motors as I understand it but I have no idea how common it is with the H6.

The fourth gen Legacies are by far the best looking in my opinion.

I'll also agree with 4th's being the best looking. The new one's are looking better all the time. If my wagon wasn't so much fun to drive...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have an 09 3.0R Limited and have friends with an 08 and an 06 Outback 3.0R. Its a reliable engine. There have been issues with idler pulley bearings. As others here have said look out for control arm bushings, wheel bearings, and other normal 4th gen issues. And just keep up with regular maintenance. Its a great car. With mine in Sport on the SI Drive I have been averaging about 20-21 mpg mixed city and highway driving for my daily commute.

Just wanted to thank everyone of their info. I do like the way the 05-09 look also. I almost bought a spec B before I bought my 2010. The mileage was just to high to me for a DD.

Went went up to look at the R this weekend. Overall it was in good shape. But it had a lot of little things that were wrong for the price he was asking. The biggest problem was the paint. It had some delamination on certain panels and a lot of scratches with one of them looking like it was keyed. It looks like we are still on the hunt for a 3.0R, 3.6R, or a LGT. Thanks again!!!

Archived