LegacyGT.com

Worthwile performance mods?

I know im not gonna get anything major but im looking for a list i guess for any mods people have or know of for better performance.. i know suspension and brakes.. my car is bone stock btw.. not trying to build a racecar just whatever might make it more fun to drive

I was going to say suspension and brakes. A good set of tires will make a nice difference. On my 3.0R I went with the Tribeca fsb and JDM rsb with AVO rsb mounts, Perrin f+r end links and poly urethane sway bar bushings. I also put on Hawk HPS brake pads and have Centric rotors waiting to go on. I like the way my car handles and stops. Its good for a daily driver.

I discovered more recently my 2.5i drives better with premium fuel, gets better mileage and if you do the math doesn't cost much if any more on a per-mile basis.

This! I too run 93OCT and I feel i get better MPG the cost differential is $0.10 per gallon so for a fill up its ~$1.30 vs 87

I just got some A/S firestone champion fuel fighter tires like 2 weeks ago.. not amazing but the tires were shot so i had to. I do use premium gas and i try to make it to Shell to get the nitro+ stuff.. get around 350 miles to a tank and i drive it pretty hard lol do plan on getting a bunch of the perrin mounts especially the engine and transmission to reduce power loss.. and then the lightweight pulleys. I saw a lightweight driveshaft but people were saying it doesnt fit quite perfect so theres some noise.. thank you to anyone who actually has some poisitive input on this.. i know the turbo guys are gonna start hatin soon enough

Suspension and brakes are your best option. There really isn't anything for aftermarket engine performance for an NA Subaru, unless you want to dump $ into a turbo setup (not recommended). If it's an H6, that's a different story. It sounds like you are not expecting race car results, so at least you are somewhat aware of the limitations. Find a good quality suspension setup, front and rear sways, good brakes, and quality tires, and you should notice an improvement. Yes, premium gas does have its benefits, but it's hit or miss. If Subaru recommends premium (H6's), then you should go that route. If not, your results may vary. Unfortunately, when it comes the 4EAT, your performance options are extremely limited. And yes, it's only a matter of time before the turbo owners weigh in with their usual "it's a NA engine, sell it and buy a WRX". The fact that you didn't storm in here with "I want 300hp out of my NA Subaru", should ease the wrath, a bit. Good luck.

Suspension is the only way for you to go really, any other "mods" wont net you power will actually hurt you. If you want, we can get you setup on some nice whiteline components that should help the car handle better.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Suspension is the only way for you to go really, any other "mods" wont net you power will actually hurt you. If you want, we can get you setup on some nice whiteline components that should help the car handle better.

-Brian

Not sure about that part but, I have about every suspension mod, including some from japan. Tune that bad boy :)

• 3 months later...
I discovered more recently my 2.5i drives better with premium fuel, gets better mileage and if you do the math doesn't cost much if any more on a per-mile basis.

This! I too run 93OCT and I feel i get better MPG the cost differential is $0.10 per gallon so for a fill up its ~$1.30 vs 87

I can definitely feel the power different (more torque) with 93 gas on my 2012. My IAM was at 0.370 with 87 gas and stays at 1.0 for the most part with 93 (though Florida weather made it be in 0.60 a lot).

As for gas mileage, I saw very minimal gas mileage gains from 93 gas, 30.14mpg with 87, 30.52mpg with 93 going to the same city, same driving style and similar temps.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

A decent tune will net you a little more power (5-10kW) but can also help with drive-ability if the tuner also does things like adjusting shift points and remapping your throttle (making it more responsive to throttle input).

It's these little things that make the car more enjoyable to drive.

There's a couple of guys doing these tunes west_minist or throttlehappy. Both will be remote tunes so you'll need a tactrix cable and a laptop (or know someone who has one).

Archived