LegacyGT.com

Just in time for "bonbon's rebuild" :)

Well, this is my turn to play and rebuild the 06 engine. I still have not begun the work. I will use this thread more like a journal for myself, with tips and tricks (if I find any), and for sure questions I will inevitably have :spin:. But in the meantime, can you confirm what I see here?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grIgyMWUXwo]cylinder wall scoring in cylinder 2 of EJ255 block - YouTube[/ame]

Some background info on this car:

bought it two years ago @ 121000 miles. she's stage 2+ ish.

Today the engine has 141000 miles. Still running strong. Does not burn oil. But I am getting a CEL on #2 when cold at idle (popped up around 130k or so). Checked the usual suspects (plug, coil, injector, intake oring gasket). No fix..

In two years of ownership, I've only changed the timing belt components and regular oil change. So not too bad I guess..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got me curious. So I also checked #4 last night. Will post a video later but I also saw some similar marks there too :confused:. No misfire on that one though and no roughness count.

On a side note, #2 is an "A" piston while #4 is a "B" piston (slightly larger and slightly smaller bore, respectively, from what I understand)

• 1 month later...

Quick update...

Saturday, I felt like maybe I should check the valve clearance on that motor. So I did, aaaaaand I have one exhaust valve on #2 with zero clearance on it! Litterally no clearance at all.

So, I have a feeling that is most likely what has been causing the misfiring issue. I just hope the valve is not burnt. Car has been running strong so I think the valve is still OK. In any case, I will try to use my borescope to have a look at it.

I only checked #2 and #4. The intake valves were all still within spec (on the loose side) and the other exhaust valves were slightly tight but not too bad.

Time for a repeat of this.

Also. I was pleased to see that the cams and the (heads) internals looked great. I could tell that the previous owner was changing the oil regularly.

How in the world does zero clearance even happen? I imagine something would have to be pretty wrong for it to get that way.

You should take the bucket out (easy, right?) and measure the actual distance between the valve and cam lobe. Then subtract the bucket's thickness to calculate how much material you need to remove.

Let me know if you feel like replacing the problem valve(s). I have my full set of 109k-mile-used valves that I'd be willing to pull one or two from.

Actually this is my third time getting an exhaust valve with zero clearance!

\begin novel

First time was on my 05 at 60k. After a good surf session in France, I hoped into the car, cranked the engine, got a misfire CEL on #4 right away. Note that it was during cold idle. You would think the CEL would only happen when warmed up... Got progressively worse. Small shop checked valve clearance and one of them had zero clearance. They fixed the clearance without needing to change the valves.

After that valve job, I kept getting some roughness on #2. Fast forward 14k later, then you get to this thread.. Essentially, I believe they messed up their clearance adjustment on #2. Since I have a garage, I fixed it myself.

Now this is the 06 turn :spin:. I bought it 2 years ago at 121k. Only thing I did to it was basic maintenance and changing its timing belt components. Misfire began to pop up on #2 last year. Kept driving it but did not really add that many miles to the car. Since the misfire was occurring with a cold engine only, I thought it could not be the valves... But I now recall that the 05 was misfiring when cold too with that super tight exhaust valve. She was running worse than the 06 too... So I hope that is it. I'll fix that clearance and will report..

I should add that before I stopped driving the 06 about two months ago, she began getting high roughness counts on #2 when fully warmed up too at idle. That's when I decided to park it..

\end of novel :lol:

How high were the roughness counts?

For which car :)?

For the 05 (for the second clearance issue), the count was null during cold idle but then began to show up as the car warmed up. It would go like 0-12 at idle. Car was shaking a bit too. And then, as I added more miles, it would sometimes go to 30, which would then trigger the CEL (the roughness count resets once it reaches 99 btw).

For the 06, it varied. There were days where it would just go to 12 or something (at cold idle). And then warmed up it would go away. But other days, it would go as high as 60 or something and then triggered the CEL.

On another note, last night took off the passenger side valve cover to check the clearance. That side is in pretty good shape. I just have a few exhaust valves that are on the tight side but still within specs.

yep :mad:.

I should get a better borescope this week. Hopefully I'll get a good shot of the exhaust valve and concludes that she is still in good condition. If yes, then I'll just fix the clearance and see what happens..

• Moderators

Subbed.

Have you done a valve lash job on this motor already? If so, do you think you could have misadjusted things to the point that you "installed" a very small lash to begin with?

I had so much back and forth data points when measuring my own valve lash with my motor OUT of the car, can't imagine being a noob with feeler gauges and trying to adjust things IN the car. Definitely a learning curve to it IMO.

Hit me up if you need any tools I might have, or if you decide you need a crane / stand I can probably loan you mine.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thanks for the offers. :)

No, I've never touched this engine before, except changing its timing belt and some exhaust gaskets and throttle body hose.

I have fixed the valve lash last year on the 05 engine (see here), with the engine in the car :cool:. It's now been 12k since the fix, and she's running great. I get 0 roughness on all cylinders now :).

Planning to simply repeat what I did with the 05, except that I'll do both sides of the engine (the 05 only needed adjustments on the driver side).

I will also send the injectors to deatchwerks for a good clean up, get a new coil pack for #3, and that's about all I'd do. We shall see..

Oh, and I would still like that fuel plastic thingy that you found for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update...

Took the driver side cams and buckets out of the engine. Everything is really in great condition for a 141k engine. I'll post pics soon just cause.

Also, I should mention that I was so relieved at the fact that the exhaust cam sprocket bolt did not give me any trouble.

Since these scratches on #2 worry me a bit, I have decided to fix the driver side clearance for now, and not worry about the passenger side. If the clearance adjustment fixes my issues with #2, then I'll go ahead and fixes the passenger side (which really just needs one or two buckets at this point).

I am pretty sure you'll have to get new buckets anyway, so I think you're ready to let go of them ;).

Since these scratches on #2 worry me a bit, I have decided to fix the driver side clearance for now, and not worry about the passenger side. If the clearance adjustment fixes my issues with #2, then I'll go ahead and fixes the passenger side (which really just needs one or two buckets at this point).

I am pretty sure you'll have to get new buckets anyway, so I think you're ready to let go of them ;).

Nice try buddy :lol:

I think it's safe for you to ignore the light scratches in your cylinder(s) for now, or at least file them away somewhere in the back of your mind. I found very similar scratches in my block and my pistons ended up being perfectly fine (verified by level IV FPI). You already know that, but someone reading this 5 years later wouldn't.

Archived