LegacyGT.com

Is this dangerous? Sagged too much? Strut issue?

SlickSpur

Hi guys

I installed Eibach Pro Kits about six years ago on my stock struts. Ive never had an issue but noticed the car is sitting really low in the rear. It may have been like this for a while and I haven't noticed, I'm not sure. I can only get one finger gap by angling it in, so there's definetly less than a finger gap.

Is this dangerous? Could I blow out a tire? I don't hear anything loud.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/ec3bd3f39cb0c4bddac0ed88e7704dd3.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/a21d7219ecb16c4bd5ab882fc14769f1.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/042bbb605e6a3f530db3451c1eba5679.jpg

that is a coil spring booster it goes between the coils on the spring, these will not only provide a lift but also will stiffen the rear suspension, because by isolating 1 coil you remove it from the spring rate equasion, for instance if your spring has 10 coils and you only use 9 of them you will get a lift and 10% stiffness increase. theey sell these in different thicknesses, the standard ones will slide in with a little bit of elbow grease, but the thicker ones will most likely to need the spring to be unloaded (taken off the strut) and then re installed with booster in place

saggy but spacers are more meant for slight tweak in ride height only, and for anything ticker than a few mm you need longer studs

if the springs are allowing you to sit too low then the strut will ride to low in its stroke and wear out much faster, so a spring booster is a much better way to do it, because saggy but spacers only fix a symptom not the actual problem

that is a coil spring booster it goes between the coils on the spring, these will not only provide a lift but also will stiffen the rear suspension, because by isolating 1 coil you remove it from the spring rate equasion, for instance if your spring has 10 coils and you only use 9 of them you will get a lift and 10% stiffness increase. theey sell these in different thicknesses, the standard ones will slide in with a little bit of elbow grease, but the thicker ones will most likely to need the spring to be unloaded (taken off the strut) and then re installed with booster in place

saggy but spacers are more meant for slight tweak in ride height only, and for anything ticker than a few mm you need longer studs

if the springs are allowing you to sit too low then the strut will ride to low in its stroke and wear out much faster, so a spring booster is a much better way to do it, because saggy but spacers only fix a symptom not the actual problem

Thanks for the information! I'll look into the coil spring boosters you mentioned!

How are the actual dampers? Still dampening? No leaks?

As far as I can tell, everything is still fine. No leaks, and the ride isn't any stiffer than it's always been.

What makes it look worse is the axle/knuckle isnt centered in the wheel arch to start and when lowered move slightly forward as opposed to straight up or down. I would go with a pair of 1/2" thick shims in the rear and longer studs.

I think Geo Metro wheel studs are the same size as the stock rear tophat studs if you need them.

Archived