LegacyGT.com

Andrew's DiySB Rebuild

What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What color combo should I paint my block / heads / valve covers?

• everything SILVER
    • everything RED
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's SILVER
    • sb RED / heads SILVER / vc's RED
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's SILVER
    • sb SILVER / heads RED / vc's RED

Cylinders have thin iron sleeves pressed in or cast in place (not sure which). Once you clean the firedecks, you should be able to see them. Not sure if the top of the sleeve has a lip or not. If yes, that would make a larger iron sealing surface.

If I had to guess, I'd say not. Sleeves seem to index to a step in the bottom of the bore.

Edited by birkhoff

how's that A/C doing in the garage? (i'm jealous! my garage is probably 100F inside now)
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I have A/C too in there :cool:. hate the utility bill though :mad:.

I hear ya - a bit costly to run!

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

What is this A/C thing y'all are talking about? ;)

They say we might hit 24 degrees today. Finally, summer heat has arrived!

That's the nighttime temp "down here", and I'm only in MA. Others further south could use the A/C more than me I'm sure.

Sorry to derail this thread to talk about the weather :). Enjoying these posts very much. This is about as DIY as it gets!

I have A/C too in there :cool:. hate the utility bill though :mad:.

I have a Sharp 14K BTU Standalone portable that I use to cool a big 2-stall with south facing walls and windows. Works great, but it needs some lead time to get it there.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

What is this 21"C" you refer to? I'm sure there must be some involved mathematical formula to get it up to "F"... :)

Seriously though, it's Friday, so looking forward to more progress from this beaut of a DIY project.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

No AC in the garage yet. I got distracted by the motor and never took the AC off the shelf and put it in the window. I even spent an hour cutting away the overgrown bushes outside of the garage window so the unit can hang out unobstructed. I had to add a breaker and run new wiring to the garage, after that was finished I hooked up my air compressor and started soda blasting everything. I'm pissed off because I can't find my stupid $4 valve lapping tool so maybe I'll hook up the AC tonight instead.

I put every single purchase in the same stinkin' spot in my garage, and the stupid piece of crap thing isn't there. Its life on earth has one purpose to fulfill, and I know I haven't tried to use it for anything else. Time to pull everything out and survey the landscape. I still owe you guys a good pile-o-parts photo anyways. After all, no build thread is complete without one.

I'm pissed off because I can't find my stupid $4 valve lapping tool so maybe I'll hook up the AC tonight instead.

I put every single purchase in the same stinkin' spot in my garage, and the stupid piece of crap thing isn't there.

I know how it feels. (Super annoying)^100 :lol:

We feel slighted, or somehow, distantly, unconnected ... :)

The Crawford sticker is to bring attention to their awesome $25 new OEM sti pistons with pins and clips.

I gave up and just bought another lapping tool at Crapozone.

f506df10963d4f69709c00b084bace66.thumb.jpg.551d894ba837b159d16ef5abbf5bf5e2.jpg

Edited by StkmltS
pic uploaded to server

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160723/f506df10963d4f69709c00b084bace66.jpg

The Crawford sticker is to bring attention to their awesome $25 new OEM sti pistons with pins and clips.

I gave up and just bought another lapping tool at Crapozone.

I found your lapping tool

All of the valves are lapped in.

It was a real pita getting the pits out of the exhaust valve seats.

The intake valves/seats took about 45 seconds each, and the exhaust valves/seats took about 3-4 minutes each.

The first pic is one of the exhaust valve seats after a minute or two of lapping. There are (were) still quite a few low spots still clearly visible. Don't worry guys, they're all gone now ;)

7802cad0b343dbcc973846488a456a15.thumb.jpg.947a2c265e6c21871dda37e0040ceabe.jpg

c1b3fc7e628e966e803f1e5b83ff3d45.thumb.jpg.e69ee814ad192164be962588e1cb8a39.jpg

Edited by StkmltS

The cylinders are honed. Overall I'm happy with the Flex-Hone tool and I think the new cross hatching looks great. At 440 rpm it only took about 15-20 seconds inside each cylinder.

If I had to do it again I'd put a round piece of cardboard inside the bottom of the cylinders to keep the ball hone from catching on the rails.

Inside my garage its a warm 85 degrees with the AC blasting, but it feels great compared to 97 degrees outside in the shade.

d056c629a423236db5749ef4e23b9f29.thumb.jpg.b14c1d491a98d74a59dc94e19758da1d.jpg

f915bc5a804e016e9a0649b177b2e766.thumb.jpg.b2ddbab01faa41d61adaef31d5045ffb.jpg

Edited by StkmltS
pic uploaded to server