LegacyGT.com

Drag Racing Forum?

That's what the Sponsored Racing forum is for, we could call it sanctioned racing as well. I'm more interested in AutoX myself but will hit the strip a couple times over the life of the car. Most people around here know the car isn't a strip car, it's a handling/touring vehicle. It won't win too many straight line events but will have a lot of cars in the corners and that is where most people will enjoy it. That's my take, but others are as always free to add. As a wise man once said, 'Anyone can go fast in a straight line.'

I like to go up to the local drag strip and race as well. AutoX is something I have never done and dont know if I would be interested in it. I probably wont be using this car to race at the drag strip, but I will occasionally. But I do like the idea of having a drag racing section under the sponsered section.

[quote name='SUBE555'] Most people around here know the car isn't a strip car, it's a handling/touring vehicle. It won't win too many straight line events but will have a lot of cars in the corners and that is where most people will enjoy it. [/quote] Looks like a solid 14 second machine to me? How many 3500lb 4 door sports sedans can claim that? There are TONS of WRX/STi's at the drags, why would you think the Legacy wouldn't? You even have a nice hand brake to bring up boost a bit on the hole shot.

Why won't it? On an auto. Just stand on the brake and feather the throttle up to where you can just hold it back. LAST YELLOW LIGHT .......................LET OFF BRAKE, FLOOR IT and HOLD ON! An auto should be good for 1.8 60' times, no?

[quote name='TLS'][quote name='SUBE555'] Most people around here know the car isn't a strip car, it's a handling/touring vehicle. It won't win too many straight line events but will have a lot of cars in the corners and that is where most people will enjoy it. [/quote] Looks like a solid 14 second machine to me? How many 3500lb 4 door sports sedans can claim that? There are TONS of WRX/STi's at the drags, why would you think the Legacy wouldn't?[/quote] Why wouldn't the Legacy be the same? If you take a look around, the demographic of the WRX and the GT are a good bit different. While I like the quickness and rawness of the STi's at times, I like the quietness and smoothness of the GT all the time. Many others feel the same way. Just take a look around. We'll see what Tide has to say about this, he has the final answer after all.

• 1 month later...
Agreed. There are a lot of mundane Legacy GT owners in here. We need a 1/4 mile section so the acceleration enthusiasts can chat without being lectured to about being "irresponsible" and such. I don't know about some buyers, but I didn't pay the extra 5 grand for the Turbo model just so I could have better looks. :roll:

I'm with SUBE here...this car doesn't appeal to the same demogrpahic. I feel no need for "drag racers" to have their own forums, that's what the "Sponsored Racing" forum is for. Handling/Touring IS what the car is really about. If I wanted a drag strip car I might as well went with a SRT-4!!111 :o :lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
Bad idea, IMO- that's the kind of thing that can make trouble if someone determines such a forum as this site enbcouraging racing. Posting about it is one thing, but the site shouldn't encourage it. The legality of that would cause nothing but a headache.

Drag racing isn't bad, but we already have a forum for it: Sponsored Racing. I wish it was called Motorsports, but oh well. Deal with it. I'd much rather see people go to the strip than hear about their kill stories on the street.

While I don't condone street racing......We've ALL done it at one time, and it WILL continue to be done for quite some time. It's part of America, classic and present. It's when I see the dangerous, crazy stuff that it really bothers me. But clicking off from one light to another safely is something I do in just about ANY vehicle I'm in. Plus...just about EVERY automotive related forum out there has "Kill Story" posts all over the place. The cool ones are the Diesel truck guys. 7500lb trucks clicking off 12 second runs and then towing a 14,000lb trailer home! Low 1.7 sec 60' times and all!

But TLS, you see few of the 'kill' stories around here. It's one thing to do it, it's another thing to talk and brag about it. If you just have a lot of fun getting up to the speed limit and everyone is WAY behind you, is that considered street racing if it's only against yourself? :lol:

[quote name='SUBE555']Drag racing isn't bad, but we already have a forum for it: Sponsored Racing. I wish it was called Motorsports, but oh well. Deal with it. I'd much rather see people go to the strip than hear about their kill stories on the street.[/quote] No one is going to sponsor me when I take my Legacy to the local 1/4 mile track to do some of my own testing (with and without mods). And in the midwestern town I come from (Tulsa, Oklahoma), short stoplight races happen all the time. The roads are straight here, not weird and curvy like many in Dallas, and other large cities. Traffic is light. Tulsa is just a really big over-grown small town. We don't even have annual inspections anymore in Oklahoma! That's right, no emissions tests, no inspection stickers in the corner of our windshields! We are rednecks! But what really makes a stoplight racer out of almost anyone around here is the way the streets are built. Many intersections around here go from 2-sometimes 3 lanes-down into one lane within a certain distance. I've had old ladies in their V-8 SUVs try to take the lane from me many times, as well as teenagers in their civics. ANY driving enthusiast in my neck of the woods is interested in this topic. However, since this seems to more of a global community, I can understand why some don't get where I'm coming from on this. Lumping 1/4 mile times in with 'Sponsored Racing' though is really lame. REALLY lame. I'm probably going to have to jump to a WRX community to discuss 1/4 mile tuning, I guess. The moderaters around here seem like really nice people, and you are the most interesting, agctr. Some of you guys, though, remind me of my grandmother. Perhaps Subaru wasted their time putting turbo on the 05 Legacy, since some believe this is just a touring and handling car. :roll: I don't think they did though. Because they got me as a customer. And 1/4 mile times are my main area of interest.

Saying that they wasted thier time putting in a turbo is pretty ignorant. Truth is that I believe ALL of us love to feel the turbo pull us back into our seats when merging or taking off from a stop. I think that it's best that street racing isn't condoned though. I understand that we all have out little runs from 0-50 or 0-60 from certain stoplights in certain areas, we just need to always make sure that it's in a safe and responsible manner. There are times when it's more appropriate than others. The GT is a touring car, not a "pure" sports car, but the turbo surely isn't wasted on our new GT's. If anything, I might be abusing my power just a bit ;)

If you want to talk about drag raacing, talk about drag racing, nothing is stopping that discussion and it isn't like there is so much traffic here that posts get lost after 5 minutes. Not everyone is into it, but some of us are and welcome the discussion. I don't think it needs its own forum.

[quote name='Whitestar Pilot'][quote name='SUBE555']Drag racing isn't bad, but we already have a forum for it: Sponsored Racing. I wish it was called Motorsports, but oh well. Deal with it. I'd much rather see people go to the strip than hear about their kill stories on the street.[/quote] No one is going to sponsor me when I take my Legacy to the local 1/4 mile track to do some of my own testing (with and without mods). And in the midwestern town I come from (Tulsa, Oklahoma), short stoplight races happen all the time. The roads are straight here, not weird and curvy like many in Dallas, and other large cities. Traffic is light. Tulsa is just a really big over-grown small town. We don't even have annual inspections anymore in Oklahoma! That's right, no emissions tests, no inspection stickers in the corner of our windshields! We are rednecks! But what really makes a stoplight racer out of almost anyone around here is the way the streets are built. Many intersections around here go from 2-sometimes 3 lanes-down into one lane within a certain distance. I've had old ladies in their V-8 SUVs try to take the lane from me many times, as well as teenagers in their civics. ANY driving enthusiast in my neck of the woods is interested in this topic. However, since this seems to more of a global community, I can understand why some don't get where I'm coming from on this. Lumping 1/4 mile times in with 'Sponsored Racing' though is really lame. REALLY lame. I'm probably going to have to jump to a WRX community to discuss 1/4 mile tuning, I guess. The moderaters around here seem like really nice people, and you are the most interesting, agctr. Some of you guys, though, remind me of my grandmother. Perhaps Subaru wasted their time putting turbo on the 05 Legacy, since some believe this is just a touring and handling car. :roll: I don't think they did though. Because they got me as a customer. And 1/4 mile times are my main area of interest.[/quote] You bought the wrong car then. You should have really got a SRT-4! After all, they are FASTAR!!!!11 (for less to boot!)

Where is the Drift Monkey of yesterday. I like him better. :| If you look past the name and to what Sponsored Racing really is: sanctioned racing, then it really is the place for drag racing and every other form of legal motorsports. If you feel you need to go talk about 400m trips with the WRX forums, go ahead, nothing is stopping you, but nothing is also stopping you from talking about drag racing here, we just have one forum section for ALL sorts of motorsports including AutoX, Drag, RallyX, Ice Racing, Rally, F1, NASCAR, whatever you want to talk about that is motorsports related. As you see it's not very active and as Rao said, it won't quickly be kicked to the bottom.

[quote name='SUBE555']Where is the Drift Monkey of yesterday. I like him better. :| If you look past the name and to what Sponsored Racing really is: sanctioned racing, then it really is the place for drag racing and every other form of legal motorsports. If you feel you need to go talk about 400m trips with the WRX forums, go ahead, nothing is stopping you, but nothing is also stopping you from talking about drag racing here, we just have one forum section for ALL sorts of motorsports including AutoX, Drag, RallyX, Ice Racing, Rally, F1, NASCAR, whatever you want to talk about that is motorsports related. As you see it's not very active and as Rao said, it won't quickly be kicked to the bottom.[/quote] What's wrong with me today SUBE? :lol:

Drift Monkey, I'm just going to pretend that you're not really trying to compare a Legacy GT to a neon. I'm well aware of what an SRT-4 can do in the 1/4, but would still be embarassed to be seen in a neon. Period. The Legacy better looking, is a much more reputable car to own or be seen in, has better all-weather capabilities... and which car do you think will still be turning a decent 1/4 mile time with 100,000 miles on the odometer? Both cars are 4 banger turbos that can be modded to out-perform one another. Please don't say I shoulda bought a dadge. Say, 'Maybe you should have kept your 13-second Trans Am,' but don't say I shoulda bought a dadge. :)

[quote name='Whitestar Pilot']Drift Monkey, I'm just going to pretend that you're not really trying to compare a Legacy GT to a neon. I'm well aware of what an SRT-4 can do in the 1/4, but would still be embarassed to be seen in a neon. Period. The Legacy better looking, is a much more reputable car to own or be seen in, has better all-weather capabilities... and which car do you think will still be turning a decent 1/4 mile time with 100,000 miles on the odometer? Both cars are 4 banger turbos that can be modded to out-perform one another. Please don't say I shoulda bought a dadge. Say, 'Maybe you should have kept your 13-second Trans Am,' but don't say I shoulda bought a dadge. :)[/quote] "Embarrased to be seen in a Neon." Wow, Subaru has really made a snob community! :o As for all weather capabilites, tires count more than anything, as I assume you know. Who knows how long those cars will last, but if they're anything like the turbo dodges of yesteryear... :lol: I'm not saying you should have bought the Dodge, but for the money you could have gone in a straight line faster for cheaper.

Archived