LegacyGT.com

Started my wrx swap.. some questions

So just like the title said of have started my swap..i have a 97 legacy gt wag..i got my hands on a 03 wrx. Ive been waiting for this for a while.. so excited.. i have already pulled the harness ,motor and trans.. i know i need everything off the wrx.. but certain parts still confuse me.. i was wondering if anyone who has completed this swap can answers these thanks in advance.. was wondering what radiator to use im assuming the wrx one .. what i dont know if it fits though.. also do i need the pedals and rack and pinion or do i keep mine.. also are the spindles or do i keep mind.. everything else i know i need to swap .. i was just wondering about these items in particular.. im working in a shop with a very limited time frame so time is of the essence.. i will return with any info i can on the swap once im done.. with pics if needed thanks again

Trying to read everything and respond.

You can use your OE rack but I know for Imprezas at least you need to swap sub frames so most people just use the rack from the donor. Pedals don't matter but you might have to swap throttle cables.

You can use the stock radiator and remove the spring and lower seal on the cap so that it is always open (or get a cap from a WRX rad) and then route the lines from the turbo coolant tank to the nipple on the fill neck of the rad and the other to the overflow tank.

Spindles should be the same.

If the WRX compressor has the lines in the same place and are the same size, use that. if not, use your existing. All of your accessories (alt, ps, ac) should bolt onto the WRX motor. Might have to clearance the AC compressor bracket a bit to clear the manifold.

Biggest hassle is the wire merge. Everything else is bolt-on.

• 3 weeks later...

I swapped over both front and rear subframes.. pretty much direct swap... steering column wont fit.. may have to swap the steering column or shaft.. or just use my original rack and pinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So i have installed the engine,transmission, iwire harness,driveshaft(didnt have to have custom made) and axles.. im trying to get everything else situated im trying to figure out if im supposed to use my alternator,compressor and powersteering pump or if i use the wrx ones.. and help would be appreciated.. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SWAP PLEASE ASK ME DONT BE AFRAID MY INFO IS YOURS..

So i have installed the engine,transmission, iwire harness,driveshaft(didnt have to have custom made) and axles.. im trying to get everything else situated im trying to figure out if im supposed to use my alternator,compressor and powersteering pump or if i use the wrx ones.. and help would be appreciated.. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SWAP PLEASE ASK ME DONT BE AFRAID MY INFO IS YOURS..

You can run either/or WRX or Legacy ancillaries. To minimize making custom lines and such I'd reuse your AC compressor and steering pump, and maybe switch to the WRX alternator if it generates more amps.

Trying to read everything and respond.

You can use your OE rack but I know for Imprezas at least you need to swap sub frames so most people just use the rack from the donor. Pedals don't matter but you might have to swap throttle cables.

You can use the stock radiator and remove the spring and lower seal on the cap so that it is always open (or get a cap from a WRX rad) and then route the lines from the turbo coolant tank to the nipple on the fill neck of the rad and the other to the overflow tank.

Spindles should be the same.

Can you also T-off the heater core hoses as well?

Also i would add pics of what ive done but dont know how ... lol

I find the easiest way to upload photos is to start a photobucket account (free) you can dump whole folders to upload, then you click on each pic, click direct link (It will auto copy the link), then come here and click the insert image icon and paste into your reply. The insert image icon is the yellow background button with the mountain range and sun.

the result will look like:

[ IMG]http://photobucketimage.com[/img ]

I don't know about Subarus, but I have a car where there is a valve on the heater lines so no flow with the heat slider to the left. That wouldn't work so good for a turbo if our cars have such a valve and you T'ed on the wrong side of a valve.

I don't know about Subarus, but I have a car where there is a valve on the heater lines so no flow with the heat slider to the left. That wouldn't work so good for a turbo if our cars have such a valve and you T'ed on the wrong side of a valve.

Coolant always travels through our heater cores, there is no valve, so as long as you tee into the hose with the correct flow you will have no issues. Furthermore, if you use the expansion tank from a WRX/STi which would be advantageous you will have ports to run coolant lines to your turbo without having to ghetto tee into a heater hose.

So far im having some issues with the car running keeps stalling out.. getting a p0183( hi volt on fuel level) and a camshaft sensor fault.. ive been doin some searching and alot off ppl change there fuel pump .but i already have a walboro installed.. so the fight continues hopefully i can have her running by the weekend.. i will definitely be posting pics of the final setup ..

You can run either/or WRX or Legacy ancillaries. To minimize making custom lines and such I'd reuse your AC compressor and steering pump, and maybe switch to the WRX alternator if it generates more amps.

the wrx and sti alternators put out less amps than the legacy. i ended up upgrading to a 05 H6 outback alternator toget 125 amp output. i noticed a few months ago when i was thinking of doing the same on my outback that the new ones are 120amp instead. theres a bit of wiring change to the alternator, but it works well. and my stereo doesnt wipe out the alt and battery anymore.

Archived