LegacyGT.com

Started my wrx swap.. some questions

So i've had one heck of a ride.. so alot of the codes are being thrown due to the legacy not having certain evap components in it. like a fuel temp sensor and fuel psi.. this stuff is going to be tuned out ... i had and issue with a camshaft sensor coming on every time( fyi in the middle of my swap and had to buy a new motor due to the old when being blown new motor is a jdm ej20.. so i had to do that as well)the car ran like crap i did the timing belt idk how many times and still gave me the same issue.. i swapped the sensor still same thing.. when i did the jdm conversion to the usdm stuff i swapped everything over except one thing.. the intake cam sprocket (BIG MISTAKE)thinking that because it had the same tooth count and looked the same it was the same... i put everything in and started her up thinking it was ok but that is when i began getting these timing issues.. i had a hunch that the sprocket was the issue.. i was being a bet lasy and dishearted with the car not running right.. so i sent it to a local subie tuner the guy only deals with these cars.. he had started the process of replacing the cam sprocket pulley and i asked him to send a pic and you know what there different.. he is putting everything back together now and hopefully ill be doing some test driving this week to make sure she is ok :icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee

Pic : Timing marks on back side of sprockets

Top is Usdm intake timing sprocket ej205

Bottom is Jdm intake timing sprocket ej205

hopefully this helps someone in the future with there jdm ej20 swaps

well continue to update as i progress ..

13614972_1198673326836193_9036450093177136979_n.thumb.jpg.c79e48f1661e5532c1999d09925c10c2.jpg

So i got her on the road she is almost there i need to slap together an exhaust system and she is road worthy.. my speedometer isn't working though.. i wasnt sure what speed sensor to use the one from the legacy or the wrx one..I have looked online and it seems to my like the legacy 1 is a bit longer so i was afraid of installing it.. The Iwire guys said to use the one from the legacy. But i just want to make sure it wont damage the transmission... does anyone have any info on this .. pics and vids coming soon..

I'm not trying to thread-jack at all, i'm about to swap everything from an 06 FXT (tall WRX) into my 1998 legacy BD Sedan, and had a quick question, since you just did this swap. I've done a lot of research and couldn't find a solid answer anywhere about the rear subframe compatibility. Is the 03 parts WRX that you are using a sedan or a wagon, and did you use the lateral link and trailing arms too? If it's a sedan, did you have any issues with the wider track width in the rear? I have the rear subframe from an 06 WRX, and was hoping to swap it into my legacy. And did you end up using the legacy power steering pump and AC compressor/lines??

Also, was your car originally a manual or auto??

Thanks a lot, and good job on the car. I'm sure its a blast to drive with the newfound power!

The rear subframe bolted right up.. no clearance issues at all.. i used the legacy trailing arms.. they are the same lenth as the wrx ones.. it all came off the wrx... the width is the same ..so no tracking issues.. i used the wrx pumps and lines .. the legacy wont clear certain things.. but i used the legacy rack and pinion... lines connected right up..the compressor and lines i used are from the legacy..i also used the legacy alternator.. i didnt have to splice or cut any wires to make the components work. my car is a 5spd from the manufacture..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Also to make the cluster work properly as far as the speedo so you can see how fast your going (not the rpm) you need to use the vss off the legacy.. i didnt know that and tossed the old trans.. now im looking for a another(if anyone has one let me know)..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
So its been about month or so since i have completed the swap.. and so far cars been great.. no real issues .. just abs light( have to get wrx sensors to fit the wrx hubs legacy ones will not fit).. but i got over excited and said that the legacy speed sensor would fit the wrx transmission but i think not.. below i have inserted pics of both sensors.. in an attempt to remove the wrx sensor to install the legacy one the wrx vss broke.. so now im dealing with the removal of that.. but im glad it happen because after i started to look for ways of removing this now broken sensor.. i came across pics of the wrx sensor and compared them to the sensor i got from the legacy and they are two different styles.. one has a seal and the other screws in.. would i need to use the wrx one and wire it to my vehicle.. has anyone came across this issue with there own swaps.. any info would be awesome thanks again..

1036999697_legacyvss.jpg.02372b6004ac5dfc2ffeb81c52ecdbf2.jpg

630101837_wrxvss.jpg.c7ac66ad7325b7b3643b642c9067bd3d.jpg

I'm sure there is some OEM sensor option out there, but I can offer this suggestion if there isn't; I have a 2010 WRX transmission swapped into my 2004 WRX, the 2010 5spd no longer has a speedo gear in the trans it is run by the abs sensors, so I am running this controller to convert the abs signal into the VSS signal and run the speedo - https://www.dccdpro.com/product/vsspro/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived