LegacyGT.com

Big Coolant Leak, Turbo/Throttle Issue

FWIW my throttle body on my wagon will howl for a few seconds when its very cold out. Goes away after about 5 seconds. Normally happens after cold start up and I've shifted into 2nd gear.

Let me explain that better, I start the car, roll down the 125FT driveway into the street, put it in 1st gear drive off. When I get it in 2nd gear and give it a little throttle it will howl for about 5 seconds, the speed limit is 25mph, then I shift into 3rd, about then its time to coast to the stop sign.

The throttle body will also howl on the highway sometimes if the radio is turned down low.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my $63 radiator looked nice, and everything fit as it should. Unfortunately it has a hole in one of the cooling fins, and I've got antifreeze all over my garage. Awesome. There's one in town at a local radiator.com distributor for $128, or its on to the $208 one at O'Reilly if I want to be driving again this weekend.

I think I have heard that roaring sound from my engine after cold starts; I always worried that it was oil starvation from the turbo bearings. It always goes away within 1-2 seconds after startup.

Update: The company I purchased the radiator from on eBay is returning the damaged unit and expediting me a replacement. I can't complain.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its probably nothing. I'm flushing the coolant at Subaru and having them check for vac and boost leaks just in case. It tends to drive better when I shift it like a 5MT, but it's probably not helping my transmission last long. The funny thing is though, if I don't let off the throttle when I "shift", it usually bangs. Probably because it's not used to shifting around 2500 each gear

you have an 05, so you can use a cheap 10 dollar cable off ebay and some software, all free, on your laptop, unless you have a cobb accessport. Basically you want to check your fuel trims to try and help isolate the issue.

A bunch of info is in the tuning section stickies!

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/tuning-84.html

If you want to do opensource tuning etc. then you will need a better cable like the tactrix 2.0. Otherwise the 10 dollar ebay cable is good enough for logging, checking/clearing cels, and fuel trims

I once paid dealership 180 dollars to change a fuse..... most painful money i ever spent in my life, now i do my due diligence beforehand. It would suck to pay 100+ dollars for them to reattach a loose hose!!!!

Haven't been able to check anything like that. I have a data program with an elm327 for Ford and GM but not Subaru. I'll see about Subaru checking that as well.

Where in Maine are you located? If im coming by your way at some point we could plug in my BTTSM and see what your LV looks like.

Where in Maine are you located? If im coming by your way at some point we could plug in my BTTSM and see what your LV looks like.

Lebanon/Sanford area. That sounds good, just let me know!

Found out the intake clamp just off the air box was loosened and the intake hose was half off. I fixed it and the turbo spool seems to be normal.

If that's all it was its pretty ridiculous. :lol:

Wow, glad it wasn't something more serious! I'm going to go double-check that mine is secure.

The second radiator is in mine and I'm driving again. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info about burping the system. I also ordered some coolant conditioner fro amazon that I'll add today. Plugs and wires are next!

Found out the intake clamp just off the air box was loosened and the intake hose was half off. I fixed it and the turbo spool seems to be normal.

If that's all it was its pretty ridiculous. :lol:

Like i said! Always do your due diligence!!! Dealership would have charged for an hour or 2 to do that!!!

The loose intake wasn't the culprit. I passed two people today, one in sport mode and one not, and it revved to around 4500 and kept revving up and down quickly so acceleration was on par with the N/A motors. I'm wondering if the timing is off. Although last week I put it in sport mode and passed someone and it was fine...

It has WRX cams in it which makes it idle rough and it's not tuned. Perhaps its pulling timing because of the bigger cams? I need to replace the trailer arm and control arm bushings asap anyway (quoted $900), so power will have to be later.

The 2016 Forester XT keeps looking better and better :)

The loose intake wasn't the culprit. I passed two people today, one in sport mode and one not, and it revved to around 4500 and kept revving up and down quickly so acceleration was on par with the N/A motors. I'm wondering if the timing is off. Although last week I put it in sport mode and passed someone and it was fine...

It has WRX cams in it which makes it idle rough and it's not tuned. Perhaps its pulling timing because of the bigger cams? I need to replace the trailer arm and control arm bushings asap anyway (quoted $900), so power will have to be later.

The 2016 Forester XT keeps looking better and better :)

Screw the bushings..... no tune on different cams is probably your biggest issue atm.... wrx cams.... idling rough..... lol , that should have been the first thing you said! "Pulling timing"??? Do you think the computer knows that you have different cams? These cars are very reliant on the tune!!! Bad tunes blow engines, no tune.... well that's just stupid.

I didn't put the cams in. The tech I bought it from said he had wrx cams put in when he rebuilt it and that's why the idle is a little rough. He didn't say if they were sti, he said they were slightly bigger than the lgt. I didn't think much of it because I had the motor tested and it was normal.

I will skip the bushings and see about getting a tune at Tuning Alliance. It'll have to be a dyno tune because I can't afford an AP. I'll set up an appointment Monday with them.

No TUNE, keep the car out of boost for you join the ynansb club.

I'm not sure what you mean but I know ynansb is engine rebuild :redface: Ive always had a bone stock lgt until this one, and until recently believed tunes were dangerous and likely to ruin the engine.

I didn't put the cams in. The tech I bought it from said he had wrx cams put in when he rebuilt it and that's why the idle is a little rough. He didn't say if they were sti, he said they were slightly bigger than the lgt. I didn't think much of it because I had the motor tested and it was normal.

I will skip the bushings and see about getting a tune at Tuning Alliance. It'll have to be a dyno tune because I can't afford an AP. I'll set up an appointment Monday with them.

I'm not sure what you mean but I know ynansb is engine rebuild :redface: Ive always had a bone stock lgt until this one, and until recently believed tunes were dangerous and likely to ruin the engine.

Completely wrong!! Tunes for this car are a must! Stock tune = garbage and worse for your engine than a tune from someone on this forum!!!

Archived