LegacyGT.com

LED Taillight project NEED INPUT

I've been kicking the idea around of doing a Dodge-esque LED tail light set up on the wagon. I just can't decide if it looks good enough to go through the hassle. Let me know what you think.

I will also be using flexible LED tubing so it'll give a nice smooth light instead of the ugly LED bright spot dots.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/96Brighton/845474808453118531_zpsnz2l1uxg.jpg

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/96Brighton/LED%20Lights_zps7ewlider.jpg

I've been toying with the idea of making the whole back a huge brake light, and removing the subaru letters in the process.

I've thought about the LED brake lights, but controlling them is the issue. OEM's use a PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) to control the brightness , but the solutions for home brew seem few and far in between, either making them yourself, or going with someone else's design that doesn't work for our application.

• 2 weeks later...

I went out and measured the tail lights and made up a little diagram. These are the measurements I will be using to order LED Strips. I rounded to the nearest .5in so that I have some room for error.

140997412_LEDconversion.png.c7ce4d2387f0c1a1ece886207cd44044.png

• 4 months later...
Any update?

I've been having issues tracking down a good spare set of taillights :/ I figured this project is gonna be at least a week and I'd prefer to not tie my car up that long so a spare set is required and all the ones I found so far have had hair fractures or cracks in the lenses

I've been having issues tracking down a good spare set of taillights :/ I figured this project is gonna be at least a week and I'd prefer to not tie my car up that long so a spare set is required and all the ones I found so far have had hair fractures or cracks in the lenses

I have been thinking about doing a LED Tail light mod such as this on my 98 LGT sedan. I also have a set of spare tail lights with cracks or scratches. I considered just using the cracked ones while i tear apart my nicer set to mod.

I have been thinking about doing a LED Tail light mod such as this on my 98 LGT sedan. I also have a set of spare tail lights with cracks or scratches. I considered just using the cracked ones while i tear apart my nicer set to mod.

The set on my car currently is not bad but I don't want to spend all the time and money on the mod if the taillights look like shit, and it seems they all have some more of hair line cracks in the lenses. I'm going to keep looking and will have pictures asap though

• 4 weeks later...
So picked up a set of tail lights from a '97 wagon today to give this a try. How do you open up the tail lights and center section?

You can put them in a oven and bake them which softens the glue and lets you pull them apart but it'll stink up the house. I am not going to try this method because the plastics are old and dry, I'm going to carefully cut around the edges with an exacto knife.

I just want to say I love this idea. I would love to see any pictures of during/after yall have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I will be taking lots of pics and I'll write up a how-to once I get started. I am still looking for a second set of taillights but I want them to be perfect.. so I think I need to lower my standards of 20 year old plastic :/

• 1 month later...

Any body out there know how to design an LED circuit?

In addition to LED strips for out line I want to replace my existing lights with LEDs in some sort of pattern. Maybe the Subaru constellation logo for running lights and more for stop signal.

Any body out there know how to design an LED circuit?

In addition to LED strips for out line I want to replace my existing lights with LEDs in some sort of pattern. Maybe the Subaru constellation logo for running lights and more for stop signal.

The only thing I could think of is a little ghetto but would give you the sharpest shape, you can get an EL panel, which is just a uniformly lit panel and then you can get a Subaru decal negative made out of vinyl and then lay it onto the panel. Look around on Superbrightleds.com to get some ideas, that's where I get all my stuff, no more chinese ebay LEDS haha

Like this https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-Electroluminescent-EL-Panel-ADA414/dp/B01BMRCUL6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479599130&sr=8-5&keywords=EL+panel

Archived