LegacyGT.com

Suggestions for Legacy GT Handling

autoxdad

I am wanting to do something to the suspension that would help autocrossing but would not be to harsh that the wife would complain since its also our daily driver. Thought about the Tein Flex when it comes out soon but heard it may still be to harsh. I have read where guys on here have bought IONS springs. Any suggestions? I have already bought perrin sway bars. that is the only mod so far Thanks

Many street coilovers will help handling more so than just ION springs AND deliver better ride quality. The problem is finding the right coilover. People have been very happy with GPMoto coilovers for the street setup.

That said, ION springs are not so harsh and improve handling. I am happy with them so far. They appear to be as great as "just springs" can be.

If your shocks are new, perhaps get the ION springs and replace with coilovers after your shocks are done and you have had time to test various coilovers(further down the road).

Most coilovers offered for our GT hasn't been harsh yet since I have yet to find a full-race coilover for our car. The harshness will really come from the installation and knowing how to use the coilovers properly. From riding and trouble-shooting over a dozen sets of DIFFERENT cars and coilovers, I realized that 95% of coilover owners do not know how to adjust or install the coilovers correctly or use them for that matter.
Keefe

Most coilovers offered for our GT hasn't been harsh yet since I have yet to find a full-race coilover for our car. The harshness will really come from the installation and knowing how to use the coilovers properly. From riding and trouble-shooting over a dozen sets of DIFFERENT cars and coilovers, I realized that 95% of coilover owners do not know how to adjust or install the coilovers correctly or use them for that matter.

[insert coilover adjustment "basics" here]

:)

~Sucka-Duck~

Number One mistake:

Most people get spring pre-load confused with ride height adjustment.

Number Two mistake:

Most people just want to buy coilovers to lower the car as low as possible without understanding or knowing the coilover's recommended ride height range for the shocks to travel accordingly.

Keefe

I have the prototype set of Tein Flex coilovers in my car. They are a nice set of coilovers. They do not ride harshly, in the sense that you feel every bump. They absord the little ripples, undulations and dips very well. There is obviously less suspension travel, so obviously when you hit some of the bigger stuff, it's going to be more jarring than stock.

From a handling stanpoint, it is night and day from stock. Far more responsive on turn-in, much less body roll and more balanced. Not a hardcore track setup, but more than adaquate for a dual purpose car (street and track).

BTW, my coilovers ARE setup properly... guess I'm in that "good" 5% ;)

Number One mistake:

Most people get spring pre-load confused with ride height adjustment.

Number Two mistake:

Most people just want to buy coilovers to lower the car as low as possible without understanding or knowing the coilover's recommended ride height range for the shocks to travel accordingly.

[insert "how to adjust coilovers correctly" here]

(thanks in advance for the future readers!!) :)

~Sucka-Duck~

Any are hard to find. Most places dont carry any even though they are listed. I lucked out and found some JIC's from Vivid, but it was their last set. They are great handling, but Ive yet to push it becase I cant find a reasonable place to get it aligned. A little stiff, but I like it like that

The most comfortable coil-over/suspension set-up I have felt (and I have tried many) is DMS. The double progressive springs offer you a very comfortable ride around the city while still maintaining very strong performance for auto-x/track/spirited driving or whatever application you may need them for.

The most comfortable coil-over/suspension set-up I have felt (and I have tried many) is DMS. The double progressive springs offer you a very comfortable ride around the city while still maintaining very strong performance for auto-x/track/spirited driving or whatever application you may need them for.

DMS is known for Rally shocks.. so you can understand where they are coming from.

Keefe

• 1 month later...

DMS origins actually started with NISSAN motorsports on TARMAC racing ... NOT RALLY. In north america, DMS got is reputation as being a rally shock as the off-road guys needed something affordable. It just happened that affordable also met competitive when meausred against 10,000$ plus rally setups.

If you do a search, DMS has had HUGE success in the past two years in NORTH AMERICA in NHRA drag racing, USTCC, Grand-Am, Honda challenge, and NASA time attacks across the country. These are small series when you look at DMS on the worldwide scale that includes sevral OEM manufactures suggest upgrades, Australian Supercar, drifting in JAPAN, British Touring Car championship, and TARMAC WRC events ??

I personally run the 40mm on my legacy, YEAR around. I run the stock height in winter, and about 15mm drop in summer. I have had them on my 2001 for a year, and on my 2005 for the past 18 months. Still have not serviced them (but I will before winter this year)

DMS has my vote, and I recommend checking them out.

autoxdad, not really suspension, but what kind of tires are you running? This should be the first place to "upgrade" before anything else.

Also, what class do you plan on running in?

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

autoxdad, not really suspension, but what kind of tires are you running? This should be the first place to "upgrade" before anything else.

Also, what class do you plan on running in?

I am running on Hancook Ventus Sports, I have done sway bars and have ION springs on order and should be getting the stromung exhaust this week and son is getting me an uppipe, I have been running STU

The GP Moto is a little rough, but then again so are the German roads. Ofcourse most of you won't be going 110mph on a regular basis like I do, so it may not be an issue for you. At normal US driving speeds, I am sure the GP Moto would work great for you. BTW.. the car handles AMAZING ;) I won't say how fast, or how much for fear the dh might kill me when he returns from the sandbox.
Children's and Family Photographer http://www.AForgetMeNotMoment.com

Archived