LegacyGT.com

Suggest me a wagon muffler

I just installed an OBX-R wagon catback I got off the classifieds here and I'm pretty happy with the tone I got from it, but with my 3" downpipe the drone inside the cabin is faaaaar too loud for me. I don't think it's quite as bad outside the car strangely. I ordered a vibrant resonator since I've heard good things about them cutting down drone and helping with volume. I should have it in by the end of the week but just in case that doesn't cut the sound as much as I'd like, the next step I'm going to take is to keep the piping and change the rear mufflers to something quieter (I don't like the exhaust tips on them anyway). Anyone have any suggestions on good mid-range volume mufflers that sound good on our cars? The piping is all 3" and while I would like to keep it that way, if I change the mufflers I'll cut right in front of them so I can install an adapter to a smaller size if there's a good muffler that only comes smaller. I'd like something that comes with tips on it but not a deal breaker if it doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a exhaust shop make up pipes and install magna flow knock off mufflers, I got some 4" Dynamax tips. The car has a deep V8 rumble.

artard, google "exhaust systems for...." I have a Pro Lab Tuning 3" exhaust on my Spec, its too loud so I put the stock mufflers back on. Some Day I'll pick up a Vibrant resonator, have it installed in the mid pipe and put those straight thru mufflers back on.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5309_zps4ab2c8e9.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/th_DSCN5311_zpsf6bc975c.mp4

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I got the resonator installed and it cut the sound a little bit but not as much as I would like, there is still drone at highway speeds. The car definitely sounds good, just definitely louder than I would like for my car. I'm looking at options right now, the problem is the OBX tubing doesn't mate up to the stock axlebacks so I would need to get a shop to do new tubing if I use the stock mufflers on the OBX mid/y (which is what I am leaning towards).

The other alternative I'm thinking is cutting the OBX mufflers off and adding quieter ones to that set-up but the problem is the OBX are center-center and most mufflers that aren't straight pipes seem to be offset-offset or offset-center. Will update with whatever happens. Max were those magnaflow knock-offs just something they had lying around the shop?

Yea, pretty much, they use them in place of the name brand.

They welded on the arms, fab'd up the pipes and welded on the flanges. Then tacked on the Dynamax tips I brought with me.

I bought the long tips, neat time I'd buy something in the 8" long range or a little shorter it would make it easier to fab the system up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yea, pretty much, they use them in place of the name brand.

They welded on the arms, fab'd up the pipes and welded on the flanges. Then tacked on the Dynamax tips I brought with me.

I bought the long tips, neat time I'd buy something in the 8" long range or a little shorter it would make it easier to fab the system up.

How much was that?

I got the resonator installed and it cut the sound a little bit but not as much as I would like, there is still drone at highway speeds. The car definitely sounds good, just definitely louder than I would like for my car. I'm looking at options right now, the problem is the OBX tubing doesn't mate up to the stock axlebacks so I would need to get a shop to do new tubing if I use the stock mufflers on the OBX mid/y (which is what I am leaning towards).

The other alternative I'm thinking is cutting the OBX mufflers off and adding quieter ones to that set-up but the problem is the OBX are center-center and most mufflers that aren't straight pipes seem to be offset-offset or offset-center. Will update with whatever happens. Max were those magnaflow knock-offs just something they had lying around the shop?

Magnaflow has a bigger resonator ( almost the size of the muffler itself) that cuts down the sound immensely on my sedan.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Thanks. Curious, did you get them off of their website? Looks like ebay's only got a SpeedyDaddy or DNA Motoring versions. I assume they're just the same rebranded every which way...

BTW, what is the 3 in Pro Lab Tuning "3"?

I've got other issues on the car to look into, but the connection between my y-pipe and mufflers are so rusted, it's flaking off... Will need to seriously consider not being able to put on stock cans before I bite.

I had a exhaust shop make up pipes and install magna flow knock off mufflers, I got some 4" Dynamax tips. The car has a deep V8 rumble.

artard, google "exhaust systems for...." I have a Pro Lab Tuning 3" exhaust on my Spec, its too loud so I put the stock mufflers back on. Some Day I'll pick up a Vibrant resonator, have it installed in the mid pipe and put those straight thru mufflers back on.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5309_zps4ab2c8e9.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/th_DSCN5311_zpsf6bc975c.mp4

Artard, if you're interested in the OBX system I can sell it to you. I just took it off today and went back to stock - which by the way just started developing that exact crack you're talking about as I was putting it back on :mad:

If you want a sound clip of the OBX I have a youtube video with one I can send you a link. If you don't have a downpipe it probably would be perfect for you. I haven't decided if I want to get rid of it yet or if I want to try to hack it into something more my taste but if you want it it's yours plus it comes with a resonator. I found some 2012 STI cans locally I think I might try and rig something up with instead.

This:

http://www.protuninglab.com/cbe-legacy-t2-ss.html

Same system is on ebay from various vendors. It's cheap, kinda/sorta loud (depends much more on your DP and Mid pipe), yet surprisingly decent quality piping, and is a good canvas for that "subaru" sound. If you wanted to custom fab a system, it's probably cheaper to start off with this mid, y and axle back piping than start from scratch. Just have your muffler shop weld in your cans and resonator of choice.

I have the mufflers bolted onto the stock mid and Y on an Outback. Outback's don't have muffler tip cut outs in the bumper, so i had to use extended hangers. I loosened all the bolts from the dp/mid to the muffs, leveraged everything where it needed to be and then tightened up all the bolts in a sequence. No rubs, no clunks. And if I could get this to work on an outback.... pretty much anyone with a legacy sedan or wagon can make it work. Yes, it drones between 2000 ish and 2800ish, but for me (with a cobb catted DP) it goes dead silent at 3000-3800. Freeway for me is 3000-3400 so it works great.

Climbing hills, it is drone city.

Thanks. Curious, did you get them off of their website? Looks like ebay's only got a SpeedyDaddy or DNA Motoring versions. I assume they're just the same rebranded every which way...

I've got other issues on the car to look into, but the connection between my y-pipe and mufflers are so rusted, it's flaking off... Will need to seriously consider not being able to put on stock cans before I bite.

That's 3" as in, 3 inch piping back to the flange at the rear axle. It is to loud, you can't talk in the car at highway speeds.

Thanks Shogun506, but unfortunately in this situation I do have a 3" dp. I've heard the obx to be quite loud too. Plus if that's the case, I'd just go with the bottom of the barrel cheap ebay ones... I've found a couple for as low as $220. Figured it could be worth a shot if I do go that route.

@rebourne, that's what I thought. Those rebrands all use the same product code/part number. the joint at my y to mufflers are terribly rusted. Don't think I'd be able to bolt them to anything without crazy leaks.

@seanyb505, how's it going? Regardless, I'm hesitant dropping 700$ on a catback. Just being cheap right now. Did you take on the highway in those couple days you had her running? they've got a built in resonator so it should be that bad..

Thanks Max Capacity. I got the legacy to try and be on the subtle side of things, so I can't see myself driving a attention wh0&* of a car.

Thanks Shogun506, but unfortunately in this situation I do have a 3" dp. I've heard the obx to be quite loud too. Plus if that's the case, I'd just go with the bottom of the barrel cheap ebay ones... I've found a couple for as low as $220. Figured it could be worth a shot if I do go that route.

@rebourne, that's what I thought. Those rebrands all use the same product code/part number. the joint at my y to mufflers are terribly rusted. Don't think I'd be able to bolt them to anything without crazy leaks.

@seanyb505, how's it going? Regardless, I'm hesitant dropping 700$ on a catback. Just being cheap right now. Did you take on the highway in those couple days you had her running? they've got a built in resonator so it should be that bad..

Thanks Max Capacity. I got the legacy to try and be on the subtle side of things, so I can't see myself driving a attention wh0&* of a car.

For the rusty flanges, a flat file may help clean up the matting surfaces.

I also understand about spending a ton of money on a name brand exhaust only to find out its to loud inside the car.

I know my Tuner car weld SS but still just the thought of spending more money on the Pro Lab Tuning exhaust to have its 3" mid pipe cut and the buy the ultra quiet Vibrant resonator, another $90.00 plus labor....

If I owned a 3" pipe expander I might be tempted to buy a couple clamps and cut the pipe my self and slip in third muffler. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=3%22+pipe+expander

But then again, I have enough other stuff in my life that needs money too...;)

For the rusty flanges, a flat file may help clean up the matting surfaces.

I also understand about spending a ton of money on a name brand exhaust only to find out its to loud inside the car.

I know my Tuner car weld SS but still just the thought of spending more money on the Pro Lab Tuning exhaust to have its 3" mid pipe cut and the buy the ultra quiet Vibrant resonator, another $90.00 plus labor....

If I owned a 3" pipe expander I might be tempted to buy a couple clamps and cut the pipe my self and slip in third muffler. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=3%22+pipe+expander

But then again, I have enough other stuff in my life that needs money too...;)

Ha, yeah considering the work and additional material involved in 'upgrading' a cheap set of pipes, the cost of ownership just gets that much closer to if a name-brand setup was bought in the first place.

Ha, yeah considering the work and additional material involved in 'upgrading' a cheap set of pipes, the cost of ownership just gets that much closer to if a name-brand setup was bought in the first place.

I hear you...kind of had the same thought myself...

But wagons have longer tips so it's hard to find an exact fit.

MaxCap- the Prolab kit looks pretty nice especially for the price!! You run the whole set up on the spec b? Or replaced the cans with knock off magnaflows too? Curious how the setup sounds.

For 255$, that's a pretty good way to upgrade to 3" piping.. then add mufflers of your choice. I'm contemplating buying said kit and if the cans don't give me the sound I'm after go with flowmasters or Magna flow by cutting up the stock flanges and hangers then welding them to the cans I choose.

Sound clips?

More info clips/pics on your setup to shogun? My Lego sounds kinda sissified and needs to be opened up. The Cobb dp didn't help as much as I anticipated with that

MaxCap- the Prolab kit looks pretty nice especially for the price!! You run the whole set up on the spec b? Or replaced the cans with knock off magnaflows too? Curious how the setup sounds.

For 255$, that's a pretty good way to upgrade to 3" piping.. then add mufflers of your choice. I'm contemplating buying said kit and if the cans don't give me the sound I'm after go with flowmasters or Magna flow by cutting up the stock flanges and hangers then welding them to the cans I choose.

Sound clips?

More info clips/pics on your setup to shogun? My Lego sounds kinda sissified and needs to be opened up. The Cobb dp didn't help as much as I anticipated with that

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqpOhdLCo1o[/ame]

Here's a video I made with clips of a few things:

-stock with 3" downpipe

-open 3" downpipe

-OBX catback with downpipe

-OBX catback with downpipe and resonator

I put the stock mufflers on the the Pro Lab pipes. Sounds ok but a little tinny.

The Pro Lab muffler on the right side, had to have a hose clamp on the front rubber hanger to pull the tip into the center of the bumper opening.

The Pro Lab mufflers were so loud on the highway you could not talk inside the car. You had to yell.

A magna flow muffler in the 3" mid pipe might be an option. I think you'd need to talk with a exhaust shop owner to see what he thinks for a muffler to have the sound but not to loud.

I'll put down some thoughts here. I tried a few things when I was taking the OBX system off.

1. I took off just the OBX mufflers which meant running the resonator and 3" piping to open Y pipes. It sounded louder but the exhaust note was just as deep and even. The OBX mufflers were apparently doing their job at least a little bit for volume but didn't need to do much for tone.

2. Open downpipe sounded like a pickup truck and not in a good way. It was loud and uneven, like a muscle car with aggressive cams.

3. I tried to put the stock exhaust back on and the Y pipe junction broke, which meant I essentially had 2.5" piping into the resonator, 2" after (I think) to open piping. Kind of like a muffler delete if you got rid of the whole Y. The exhaust note was a higher pitch than previously. It didn't sound bad and it was loud but it wasn't a sound I wanted for my car. Also, the sound didn't enter the cabin as much and I was able to drive it on the highway without a headache.

4. I put the whole exhaust back on but with the break at the Y it meant there was a bit of a leak (which I later got welded back together). It was pretty much what you'd get with a hogzaust, just with the leak at the Y instead of the mufflers. The sound was slightly louder than stock, a little bit deeper, and no drone at all. To be honest, the hogzaust seemed the best of the bunch and if you can get over the fact that it's a leak in your exhaust system, it's probably the best option for most of us, not to mention it's free and easily removable.

Other info I think we can take from this is that a larger diameter mid-pipe will get you a deeper tone irrespective of the mufflers, but the problem is although a deeper tone is more desirable, it's also more susceptible to cabin drone.

Verdict: I'm going to try the STI takeoffs this week when I get them, mostly because I like the quad tip look and as OEM, they shouldn't be too loud. If they don't work for whatever reason I'll just stay stock or hogzaust. Why? For me it's a tradeoff. This car is my DD and I take it everywhere. It already has enough power for me and I want to keep it comfortable. I'd like it to sound good but I'm not going to pay money to make my car obnoxious or less comfortable. Not the approach for everyone but that's ok.

Archived