Solgt's "Sleeper Status" Build Thread

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Possibly surface rust?

Could just be dust from the ball eating through the fork. The lube goes away from between the ball and fork, then it just acts like sandpaper till it eats through enough to push the ball through.

Those pics look a little different. Can you move the fork? Does it seem like it went through?

I have the aftermarket fork and ball that I could take a pic of, if you think it will help?

Are you just looking at how far the ball sits in fork divot?

Those pics look a little different. Can you move the fork? Does it seem like it went through?

I have the aftermarket fork and ball that I could take a pic of, if you think it will help?

Are you just looking at how far the ball sits in fork divot?

The fork doesn't move but the tiniest wiggle. Yes, how far the ball fits in the fork.

As much monkey as i attempted cant get eyes on the other side of the fork to see how far the ball is pushed through.

Thoughts? Do I have it towed back to Andrewtech and have them replace it? They have the parts there.

IDK, I have 132,xxx on odometer and during my swap I noticed it says "2010 LGT 8K" in pink marker (assume from salvage yard) on top of the trans, so I really don't know how many miles on it. I hope it lasts for a few years yet at least though.:)

• 5 months later...
An STI drivetrain will be put in place of the current setup. Trans, rear dif, drive shaft, dccd controller, new clutch will be main points. But it is going to HAPPEN!!This will be a huge leap forward to be able to drive a daily driven bulletproof monster!

An STI drivetrain will be put in place of the current setup. Trans, rear dif, drive shaft, dccd controller, new clutch will be main points. But it is going to HAPPEN!!This will be a huge leap forward to be able to drive a daily driven bulletproof monster!
Awesome! What shop is doing the work? And would they be willing to fab another set of mounts?

I have this sitting on stand by out of a 16 STI. Baja 5-speed will probably go before the 5th gen but only time will tell.8b3870fd6e9533b151fce50da962b409.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Awesome! What shop is doing the work? And would they be willing to fab another set of mounts?

I have this sitting on stand by out of a 16 STI. Baja 5-speed will probably go before the 5th gen but only time will tell.8b3870fd6e9533b151fce50da962b409.jpg

I've sent a email with contact info provided by solgt, as soon as I hear back I will share.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I've sent a email with contact info provided by solgt, as soon as I hear back I will share.

No update on the mounts from Andrewtech?

No update on the mounts from Andrewtech?

Nothing at all from them. Now that Gary is looking at getting extras, I'll wait and see what he can offer. He is only an hour from me, I wouldn't mind using the same shop when my time comes.

Nothing at all from them. Now that Gary is looking at getting extras, I'll wait and see what he can offer. He is only an hour from me, I wouldn't mind using the same shop when my time comes.

Maybe send another email about the mounts.

Who is Gary?

• 2 weeks later...
It's back! It drives very well and the shifts are just leagues ahead in superior feel and engagement as well with the clutch. Rpms are lower at cruising speeds. Having the dccd controller is a bonus. I mean what more can i say besides thanks to Andrewtech for all the hard work!

It's back! It drives very well and the shifts are just leagues ahead in superior feel and engagement as well with the clutch. Rpms are lower at cruising speeds. Having the dccd controller is a bonus. I mean what more can i say besides thanks to Andrewtech for all the hard work!
Any word from Andrewtech on selling mounts?

Any word from Andrewtech on selling mounts?

He posted some pictures on the facebook group, these mounts are welded into the subframe/crossmember. They wouldn't be a bolt-on solution for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the car back just before Christmas and it has been a fun ride! Works great no issus with the transmission or driving. The engagement the clutch is mechanical notch feeling not the sloppy cable even with short throw and bushings and plates! Going through the gears is so rewarding. Cruising the highway with longer gears means lower rpms, but hauling mail time seems a light press of the go pedal. Turn the dccd controller on and you can tell the difference in front wheel control.

I mean if you are on the fence about swapping drive train. Then let me tell you do it! Is it expensive? Hell yeah it is! Expect around 10k depending on what you have set as goals. I make over 400 so a standard trans with treated gears isnt going to survive launches. Maybe if I baby drove and didnt want to go to Mexico for shenanigans i will survive another few years maybe. Thats my take. Is it worth it? If you plan to make 380 and over and have fun with it then yes. Not in the ballpark, maybe 350? Keep factory trans and rebuild it.

I will get a list of what all was upgraded for this. Thanks guys.c77ef00a77900835b257e7cede0a7f1f.jpg

• 6 months later...
Here goes another [emoji33] story. Cylinder #4 has either toasted its piston rings or burnt a valve. Either way that was before all the crud goin round (March) and it has sat since. This weekend I started to get things rolling. First was removing the motor. And i get stuck getting the trans bolt from bottom drivers side. Otheriwse the motor is ready come out. I can get a socket on it just getting space to break it free is not available. Used a wobbler and extensions just not enough space to get it broke free. Spent past few hours from top and bottom. Nada. How the piston or valve got burnt is to be decided. Having pulled my back yesterday makes things interesting to get done to say the least. Of course it happened right?! Hahahahaha! It great the kids get to turn wrenches with their dad and they have fun! Priceless.