LegacyGT.com

Brake Pads (Who is Running What?)

gmartinez1900

deleted the other stuff.

So your driving style is to not use the brakes? In reality, that's the opposite of what you should be doing. A hard stop of short duration is better than a long slow stop. Its the long slow stop that heat soaks the pads and causes the most wear, as well as the glazing you complain about.

Properly setup and moving, the pads are already in their ideal temp range. However, driving autox pads on the street, Stoptech added an initial bite to make up for them not being in their ideal range most of the time.

For your driving style, the HPS will glaze over as will every other street pad.

Perhaps you should describe your braking style when providing such strong opinions? :spin:

If you ever want to learn a better way, the local Porsche club has a 1 day school that would provide you an alternative - https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-pnwr-de-may-21-2016-pacific-raceways-northwest-316245

i let off the gas and coast. haha. not ride the brakes. and when i do need them its soft usage. sometimes i feel a little spirited and use them a bit firmly.

i keep longer distances than most away from others just so i can let off the gas and slow naturally. and also so i dont rear end another car.

i didnt complain about glazing i said i read about it.

better or not to stop harder im not gonna do it. i do have slotted dba's and the setup i run seems fine. this is why i may look into the ST 308 pads.

please remember that 2 people drive this car. her brake style is the hard last second type. mine is the coast to stop and lightly brake when im at the sign/light.

thanks for your input though.

I just installed a LGT rotor/caliper set up and put some HPS 5.0 pads on my XT. Feel fantastic after being bedded in. Hoping they are a little better than the old HPS.

I ran a set of regular HPS pads for around 40k on my old car. Worked well for DDing, lasted forever. But didn't have enough bite once I got back into autocross regularly, so I eventually went with HP+. I ran EBC Yellows on my last autocross car, trying to avoid the noise from the HP+. Havent been terribly happy with the performance of them. They work, but that's it. My next set of aggressive pads for the new autocross car will be HP+. I'll take the noise on a non-DD as a trade off for that fantastic feel.

I just installed a LGT rotor/caliper set up and put some HPS 5.0 pads on my XT. Feel fantastic after being bedded in. Hoping they are a little better than the old HPS.

I ran a set of regular HPS pads for around 40k on my old car. Worked well for DDing, lasted forever. But didn't have enough bite once I got back into autocross regularly, so I eventually went with HP+. I ran EBC Yellows on my last autocross car, trying to avoid the noise from the HP+. Havent been terribly happy with the performance of them. They work, but that's it. My next set of aggressive pads for the new autocross car will be HP+. I'll take the noise on a non-DD as a trade off for that fantastic feel.

I used HP+ for the same reason. Much better bite on autox and lasted longer on the track. Horrible pad for street driving tho with lots of issues with premature disc wear.

If you use the HP+ at the track/autox only, you'll be much happier. If you take the next step and match them (pad & disk) as take-offs, you can put on pre-bedded brakes and be awesome from the first stop.

i let off the gas and coast. haha. not ride the brakes. and when i do need them its soft usage. sometimes i feel a little spirited and use them a bit firmly.

i keep longer distances than most away from others just so i can let off the gas and slow naturally. and also so i dont rear end another car.

i didnt complain about glazing i said i read about it.

better or not to stop harder im not gonna do it. i do have slotted dba's and the setup i run seems fine. this is why i may look into the ST 308 pads.

please remember that 2 people drive this car. her brake style is the hard last second type. mine is the coast to stop and lightly brake when im at the sign/light.

thanks for your input though.

your posts should come with a jekyll/hyde warning. 2 ppl with opposite styles driving the same car? Nothing you put on your car will work well. 1 of you will always be unhappy.

I'd suggest you get new parking brake drums and learn to e-brake to a stop. Then put on a set of hyper aggressive pads for your girl. Then both of you will get max brake wear for minimal dollars.

I've used DBA 4000's (slotted) with Hawk HPS and StopTech's the entire life of the car. Currently at 141k. No track, all street driving. The StopTech's do have better initial bite, but dust more than any hawk pad. Noticeable dust in 3 days in comparison to a week.

With both, I haven't had any issues with glazing or fade, even when pushing the car downhill hard and fast through twistys. I agree the StopTech's are slightly superior, but the dust.

I recently ordered a 2017 STI, and am going to give my car to my wife. She now has DBA T2's slotted with Hawk HPS 5.0 Street Pads. This is Hawks latest street compound. After bedding, I've stepped on these things hard and stopping performance has been great. Dust is low, so I'm happy with them overall, and they are wife approved.

I had the StopTech pads for a month, they were great pads, but I couldn't deal with the dust build up on the wheels. Sold them to a member on here dirt cheap and went back to Hawks. Now I'm on the PowerStop Z23 pads, they feel about the same as the Hawks HPS if not a little better.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I had the StopTech pads for a month, they were great pads, but I couldn't deal with the dust build up on the wheels. Sold them to a member on here dirt cheap and went back to Hawks. Now I'm on the PowerStop Z23 pads, they feel about the same as the Hawks HPS if not a little better.

so you dropped to an inferior pad because of dust?

so you dropped to an inferior pad because of dust?

it is a proven fact that pads that dust less allow a car to stay cleaner longer. I can get some LPC data off wash water to put the final nail in the coffin though, if you'd prefer.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Stoptech Street Performance on the WRX and the GT for street duties. Dusty, but they make a good street pad.

Recently picked up a set of Carbotech XP10s on the WRX for track duty. Haven't run them on the track yet.

I have yet to need pads on mine(goddamn short block is always in the middle of a rebuild) but I deff won't be putting OEM pads back on....

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Replaced my front brakes last week.. Went with raybestos advanced technology rotors (again), and raybestos element3 pads (ceramic/semi-metallic hybrid). http://amzn.com/B00J6FD1SI

I really like the raybestos pads so far, much better than the AAP wearever platinum pads (ceramic) that I had before. Can't really comment on the dust level yet, seems to be comparable to the wearever platinums so far.

I used the HPS for a while, first on the stock calipers and then on my CP5200s. On the upside they are quiet for a 'performance' pad and the heat range is 'okay', tolerable. On the downside, despite all the graphs and claims to the contrary I find they do not give good cold bite and there are butt-clenching moments when required to hit the anchors hard on stone cold brakes. Also, disk wear is a bit high even though it's pretty easy to keep the pads properly bedded at all times. Dust is light and fairly easy to wash off unless you have overheated the pads, when it becomes really difficult.

I did use AP F404 pads for a short time, which is a re-branded DS2500. As many complain, they are loud, grabby, difficult to keep bedded and don't have enough heat range for a track day. So, many of the downsides of real race pads but without the performance advantage. Worst of both worlds. In desperation I went back to the HPS and found I hated them less.

Now I'm running Project Mu HC-CS. Cold bite is awesome, pad mu stays up in use that would melt the HPS or DS2500. Yes you may get a squeal once in a while but it's still better than the DS2500. Yes they dust a lot more but the dust is always very easy to wash off, where the dust from DS2500 would even eat into the paint on my DOORS! Disk wear is what I consider normal at one disk per two sets of pads. Pedal feel is rock hard (if you like that) and modulation very good IMO. It's not hard to keep the pads properly bedded, considering the heat range. Downside, they're pretty expensive compared to many other pads but they do seem to last well.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Now I'm running Project Mu HC-CS. Cold bite is awesome, pad mu stays up in use that would melt the HPS or DS2500. Yes you may get a squeal once in a while but it's still better than the DS2500. Yes they dust a lot more but the dust is always very easy to wash off, where the dust from DS2500 would even eat into the paint on my DOORS! Disk wear is what I consider normal at one disk per two sets of pads. Pedal feel is rock hard (if you like that) and modulation very good IMO. It's not hard to keep the pads properly bedded, considering the heat range. Downside, they're pretty expensive compared to many other pads but they do seem to last well.

Good to know on the Mus, I'm happy enough with the B-force I have on the rear at the moment. Mind if I ask what the set ran you for the car? IIRC the front Endless only were over $300

I could suck start a snow blower.

The fronts were about $260 before shipping, from RHDJapan.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

That's not terrible at all for a pad that performs as well as you have said.

Not at all, and I'm on my 2nd set now. Awesome pads.

Sent from a device using some software.

Archived