LegacyGT.com

Problem with Centric Rotors on Rear

Yesterday I installed new pads and Centric Premium rotors on the rear of my '05 LGT Wagon. The car has the original hubs and calipers still on it.

I noticed that the Centric rotors are not perfectly centered in the caliper bracket opening. On the inboard side there is only about 0.025" clearance between the rotor face and the "finger" on the pad clip. Will such a tiny clearance be a problem?

There is no contact or scraping on the rotor when I spin it with the car up on jackstands, but what will happen when I put on the tires and set the car down on the ground?

Well, this morning I put the old OEM rotor back on the hub, and it too is not perfectly centered. It is offset a little (around 0.7mm) towards the center of the car, like the Centric rotor.

I'm not sure if the offset is designed in, or it is just machining tolerances of the rotor, hub, and backing plate "stacking up".

Your worried about 0.025" ?

Does the car stop good ?

If yes, don't worry about it.

In all my years, I've never even checked. I'm 61y/o.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Knowing Centric since they were called Auto Specialty (almost 20 years ago), they would not sell it if it wasn't correct. Their quality rivals or exceeds OE on their parts. You checked against your worn OE rotors and it was the same type of fitment?

Drive it.

Yeah I wouldn't be worried. I'm super impressed with my Centric premium rotors. Seized 2 autozone calipers (one on the highway), pushed my stoptech sport pads to the point of fading, all on the same set of Centric rotors. They never warped, cracked, nothing. And 2 years later the paint on the hub portion is still mostly there.

I'll agree that centric rotors are awesome for the money! I have my rears sitting here waiting to be installed.. my fronts have been great to me so far

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

All 4 of my old rear pads were a different thickness from each other, and one of them had a taper from top to bottom. The guide pins and pistons were not frozen, but the pads were rusted to the clips. To prevent that from happening again, I did what Honda recommends for their brakes: use Molykote M77 on the pad ears, shims, clips, and bracket.

If I understand what you mean, can you push/pull the pad clip a little bit so that the clearance is even on both sides? Or at least enough to get more clearance on the inboard side?

If I understand what you mean, can you push/pull the pad clip a little bit so that the clearance is even on both sides?..

No. The "fingers" on the clip determine the positioning.

Anyway, at this point I do not consider it a problem, unless I begin to hear metal to metal scraping sounds in the future. Apparently for the last 56,000 miles on the original OEM rotors, I have been driving with this asymmetric clearance, with no issues.

Archived