LegacyGT.com

Newbie Tuner needs advice

sga86_LGT

I just started tuning my LGT. I dont know shit.. umm.. I have a manual boost controller, running at 16 psi. Custom made intake piping w/ airfilter. BOV custom fitted to the TMIC. Thats about it, others, i got a turbo timer, and autometer boost guage. I'm currently planning on putting a pair of megan racing turbo back exhaust w/ 3" inlet and its going to be a custom mandral bent straight pipe. I'm planning on keep the last 2 cats and make a custom 3" downpipe which removes that cat. So, any advice on anything i did wrong so far, or any precaution i should know like warranty, smog, or damage to the engine. i just need some info about what i should know for the things ive done so far and also the exhaust mod im about to do. Thx ... and i ran 9 second flat on 1/8th after those mods.

Log, NOW....if you haven't already, of course - especially seeing as you've already made a pass on your vehicle.

I'm wondering what the intake is doing to your AFRs, especially as I see you don't have an EGT nor widdeband O2 listed. I'm wondering what the MBC, in combination with your home-made intake, is doing.....

The reason I urge this is because at least one member here reported significant EGT increases as well as significant AFR leaning with use of a well-known aftermarket "Short Ram" intake plus Cobb AccessPort Stage I EM.

Your powertrain warranty is already be out-the-window.

As for emissions compliance, you're already violating federal laws if you've removed/replaced the UP (which I assume you've done, but just did not list, as you said that you "plan on keeping the last two cats - which itself doesn't make sense if you're going with a full TBE..... :confused: ) - but whether or not she'll pass emissions testing, I honestly can only guess that at this particular point-in-time, you'll still likely pass a sniffer test (unknown about CA, though, but pretty sure that you'd be OK in any other state) - but will likely fail a visual if the technician knows what to look for. After you replace the last remaining cats, though, without EM, I would imagine that you'd fail a sniffer, too.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ That's why I leave my tuning to the pros. :) Or at the very least, other hobbyists who know the car a *lot* better than I do! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

hmm.. ic.. well.. my exhaust system is still stock. up/dp still stock. im planning on installing dp and 3" straight pipe. i want to keep the last 2 cats because i dont want it to be loud. or create back fire or something. and after that, i will get the A/F and EGT guage to see if anything is wrong, then emanage ultimate and take the car to a shop.

the last 2 cats are in the down pipe.

" I'm planning on keep the last 2 cats and make a custom 3" downpipe which removes that cat."

seriously stop modding and start reading

*emphasis added....

+1 Agreed.

---

Also, if you're not logging to begin with, with your proposed mod list, you'll want to at least have an EGT and wideband O2, *FIRST* before you start popping those parts on.

You have to be sure you can keep an eye on things, first, before you start doing stuff.

Honestly, looking at what you've written and how you've written it, sga86, I'd recommend that you look to a professional tuner for your needs, or at least another hobbyist-tuner who has more of an idea how to go about things......

im reading.. dammit.. so uhh.. how does access port work exactly?? if i use that, will i need to remove my mbc??

and so now, how should i do my exhaust? and what about the custom intake i have? and will my custom bov mess anything up? ...and my turbo timer causes my check engine light to come on and flashing green cruse light.

im reading.. dammit.. so uhh.. how does access port work exactly?? if i use that, will i need to remove my mbc??

No, you will not need the MBC with the AP. And unless you are logging and watching the car really close, you shouldn't be using the MBC right now. :)

You really don't need a turbo timer on this car. The turbo is water and oil cooled.

From what I have read, the stock BOV is good for a while. Plus, it's a recirculating BOV, with means it blows back into the intake, and I assume the one you have isn't. I have read people having issue with non-recirculating BOV, but apparently 50% is ok.

Unless you have a custom tune, a custom intake will not get you much, btw, this is highly debated in these forums. But the general feeling is the stock is good for a while and you will need a custom tune to use an after market intake to it's full advantage.

Exhaust, is totally up to you. :)

by me telling u to read more i mean. go through the forums. search accesport, manual bost controler, cats, downpipes, up pipes, blow off valves. there are a ton of threads about each and every item on your car. with a little more research u can easily find the info you need. i am not going to tell u a mbc is bad for you, or your custom intake is gona kill a cat in tiwan. i personaly dont know these things for sure. but by reading the forums u will start to see a patern of ppl who do know what they are doing coming up with information that can save your ass from an expensive repair bill in the future

im reading.. dammit.. so uhh..

OK, I've been on here long enough for nearly everyone to know that I'm almost always nice....

But that's just bull - if you're actually reading and doing your homework, your next question, below:

how does access port work exactly?? if i use that, will i need to remove my mbc??

You'd at the VERY LEAST know the answer to that question.

---

I honestly don't know to be :mad: or :(

and so now, how should i do my exhaust? and what about the custom intake i have? and will my custom bov mess anything up? ...and my turbo timer causes my check engine light to come on and flashing green cruse light.

Like meier motor sports said, you need to:

by me telling u to read more i mean. go through the forums. search accesport, manual bost controler, cats, downpipes, up pipes, blow off valves. there are a ton of threads about each and every item on your car. with a little more research u can easily find the info you need. i am not going to tell u a mbc is bad for you, or your custom intake is gona kill a cat in tiwan. i personaly dont know these things for sure. but by reading the forums u will start to see a patern of ppl who do know what they are doing coming up with information that can save your ass from an expensive repair bill in the future

You're asking really, really, really basic questions, sga86 - ones that have been answered more than just a few times here in the Forums.

Your current "plan" has you leaping ahead in two steps, whereas you should simply be taking one.

I'm -pleading- that you simply take a day, STOP posting, and instead search/read fully about your planned mods and associated products. This way, you'll get a much, much better understanding of where you're going, what could possibly go wrong, and what type of gains you can expect.

:)

Please do yourself the favor of becoming an educated LGTer before you start....it'll save you a lot of headaches down the line, and probably a good chunk of change as well.

:)

Best of luck! :)

ok.. umm.. i plugged the hole for the bov so the car doesnt shut off.. so thats why my boost is solid now.. and ill get the access port and remove the MBC and also i think i should remove the turbo timer.. thx guys. the access port tunes the boost right?? and does it make it solid?? cuz before i installed the MBC, the boost is very inconsistant. So yeah.. thats why i got mbc, and it also bypass the vaccume so the fuel doesnt get cut. If i get the access port, what other upgrades can i do?? and how do i tune it?? (im gonna move my exhaust mod back). plz.. yall geniuses.. help a newbie out.

thats about 3-4 questions there.. =)

I would recommend you search these forums for info on intakes, BOV's etc... and make the decision for yourself. Everyone's telling you what they would do for themselves, but it's your car not theirs.

Here's a brief explanation for why those are bad mods from what I've learned from this forum.

Manual Boost Controller: Play around with MBC's and engine gas temperature can rise to dangerous levels.

Turbo timer: Our turbos are water and oil cooled. The liquids work in a sort of passive convection process that still work after the engine is turned off, so no need for a MBC.

Intake: cold air intakes, people have mixed results, most people don't like them without tuning. It causes air fuel ratio to lean out, which can cause detonation. It may also cause more turbulance in the intake flow, throwing the mass air flow sensor off.

BOV: People also get mixed results with these, but basically if you get a BOV, a 50%atmospheric 50% recirculating is a good compromise. Because the BOV is placed after the MAF, the MAF will have already accounted for the air that is now vented to the atmosphere which causes a temporary rich condition. A rich condition doesn't hurt your engine like a lean condition (detonation) but it will affect the drivability slightly. 50/50 BOV's just half of the air into the atmosphere, while recirculating the other half.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Turbo timer: Our turbos are water and oil cooled. The liquids work in a sort of passive convection process that still work after the engine is turned off, so no need for a MBC

then why does most turbo cars have turbo timer?? i know that eclipse turbo is watercooled.. why is it still better to have turbo timer?

...can i keep my intake and bov and and boost gauage and turbo timer?

"and bov and and boost gauage and turbo timer?" these are the least of your problems. and in a rpevious post u said u are going to block the hole for the bov and the car doesnt shut off. im not sure what that means put i would probably not do that

then why does most turbo cars have turbo timer?? i know that eclipse turbo is watercooled.. why is it still better to have turbo timer?

a turbo timer is not required. as long as u dont drive the car hard imediatly before turning the car off there is no NEED for a turbo timer. but installing one will not hurt anything

Archived