LegacyGT.com

3 Bad O2 sensors before 80K miles, Why's this happening?

I have an 05 Legacy 2.5i with just under 80K miles on it. I bought the car years ago with 40K on in and around 50K or so the CEL came on and indicated a bad front O2 sensor. I replaced it (not sure what brand) and it worked just fine for 25K miles or so.

Last year in May, around 75K, the CEL came on once again for bad O2 sensor. I bough a new one, this one was a Bosch 1593, put it in and it worked just fine but not for long.

This weekend CEL came on once again and just a couple hundred miles below 80K. My CEL codes are P0031 and P2097. So this one last 5K miles and not even a year.

Could this last one maybe just have been a bad one from the factory or is there something else going on in my car that could cause these to go bad so quickly? I'm going to replace it again, should I try a different brand, I think Denso is the other one that's available.

Any help is appreciated.

The design of the OE exhaust manifold (unequal length) puts a substantially increased amount of heat on the front O2 sensor. If you are on stock tune, it's tendency is lean anyway which generates even hotter temperatures. Go with an OE and they do last longest but still don't have a great life span.

Denso/Bosch

Have you done any logging on this car? Since JmP is stating a lean condition adds heat, wondering if you have a leak somewhere that is adding to the failure rate.

Turbo inlet would be the first place I would look. They tear and can cause a lean condition. Have you performed a learning view to see what your fuel trims are at?

Have you done any logging on this car?

Umm, I don't know what that is!

Turbo inlet would be the first place I would look. They tear and can cause a lean condition. Have you performed a learning view to see what your fuel trims are at?

Also have no idea what that is! This is a non trubo engine though.

Umm, I don't know what that is!

Also have no idea what that is! This is a non trubo engine though.

Sorry - Missed that it was a 2.5i. I'd still check the intake piping after the MAF for any vacuum leaks. Make sure all the hoses are on an intact.

Sorry - Missed that it was a 2.5i. I'd still check the intake piping after the MAF for any vacuum leaks. Make sure all the hoses are on an intact.

No prob. I replaced the O2 sensor tonight and checked everything I could under the hood. Everything looked fine as far as I could see. I disconnected the battery while replacing the sensor, the check engine light went off, so I'll report back after I've drove 50 miles or so to see what happens.

Bit late… but I also had multiple O2 sensors (and CCs) go bad starting at around 60k, but there is an extended warranty on emissions system parts and Subaru covered the cost. Maybe this is location-dependent, cant recall. I am in California.

Bit late… but I also had multiple O2 sensors (and CCs) go bad starting at around 60k, but there is an extended warranty on emissions system parts and Subaru covered the cost. Maybe this is location-dependent, cant recall. I am in California.

Interesting. I had one go at like 60k as well. New one has been fine @ 90k now.

OEM is Uses Denso. If you don't want to throw away extra money for Subaru branded one get Denso 234-9120. Subaru buys these and just puts a subaru sticker on the box and charges $60 more.

You sure that's the right part number? I bought a Denso 234-9122

Since I've installed it I've drove 50 miles and the CEL hasn't came on. Before it was coming on within 25 miles of resetting the CEL light.

Archived