LegacyGT.com

Steering Wheel Wrap

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got one I'm waiting on in the mail. Involves some stitching together but I feel it'll look a lot better than the stock one.

Please advise of a detailed report. What brand, key things learned, how it feels, etc.

Looking forward to your review.

I installed a Wheelskins on my 1997 Miata in 1997. Still works great. Be patient and get a pair of golf gloves or mechanics gloves for pulling the thread. You'll get a tight fit and your hands will thank you.

Actually I found weight lifting gloves to be a benefit. Leaves the fingers exposed for fiddling.

The stock wheel. What a hideous monster. :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/736ojtp.jpg

Starting to look like something. :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/AspKKbu.jpg

The final product. Took about 2 hours. Hardest part was probably positioning it and getting the leather to seat beneath the plastic pieces. Only stabbed my finger once. Bottom left corner is hanging a tad. Might just use some glue to tack it in place. Kit comes with double sided tape but I wouldn't suggest using it around the parts you have to push in because it makes it a hassle trying to wedge the leather.

And well, that's a wrap :p

http://i.imgur.com/3Z0WVuI.jpg

Thanks! Took forever. Well, mine was a Xuji cover that I got on aliexpress.com. It came with instructions. I followed them for the most part but when I finished the thread, instead of backing the other direction, I just knotted it beneath the leather where you can't see it. I don't see why it would come out unless you're seriously twisting the crap out of it.

Watch the Xuji videos on how to do it to give you a good idea. Make sure everything is lined up perfectly before you start, then start taking off the double sided tape and that all the leather is tucked in nicely before you start or it just becomes a pain while you have a needle and thread in your hand. Also make sure the leather touches together. Around the corners I didn't skip any so I knew it would be snug. Lastly, be careful not to push the needle through the thread instead of under it, it'll just be more of a pain to have to push a thick needle backwards between a piece of thread, haha. Set aside a good 2 hours to do this as well.

Thanks! Took forever. Well, mine was a Xuji cover that I got on aliexpress.com. It came with instructions. I followed them for the most part but when I finished the thread, instead of backing the other direction, I just knotted it beneath the leather where you can't see it. I don't see why it would come out unless you're seriously twisting the crap out of it.

Watch the Xuji videos on how to do it to give you a good idea. Make sure everything is lined up perfectly before you start, then start taking off the double sided tape and that all the leather is tucked in nicely before you start or it just becomes a pain while you have a needle and thread in your hand. Also make sure the leather touches together. Around the corners I didn't skip any so I knew it would be snug. Lastly, be careful not to push the needle through the thread instead of under it, it'll just be more of a pain to have to push a thick needle backwards between a piece of thread, haha. Set aside a good 2 hours to do this as well.

Thanks!! I ordered the same one as I followed the link you posted except I got black thread. Thanks for the tips! The main things I'm worried about are the areas where the leather slips under the wheel and terminating the ends of the threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It feels like how it should. Its pretty similar to the new WRX/STi wheels. It's not too grippy but it's definitely better. I like that it has perforated leather where your hands sit. It definitely feels more sporty and the wrap goes around the back of the wheel where your hands sit, near the paddles and making it more comfortable. I ordered a matte blue and matte red vinyl sample for $1 each and gonna see how those look on the faux trim against the black and ivory, now that the wrap is throwing it off, haha.

Heck, I might as well wrap my oem wheel that's not being in use for fun and maybe throw it up in the marketplace

Having wrapped a wheel, let me say find a way to mount the wheel to something before you try to wrap it. It would be near impossible to wrap otherwise.

Archived