LegacyGT.com

Sunroof wind noise

Folks,

I have an issue with wind noise coming from the moon roof, this issue has been occurring from the very beginning of initial purchase. The vehicle has been to 3 different dealerships and every single one has told me they don’t see a problem and that the wind noise is within normal specs. Now obviously I have disagreed with them, I have tried going through Subaru corporate only to end up being shrugged off in disappointment. I am including some pictures so you can get a visual representation of where the issue lies and hear what your suggestions if any would be to remedy this issue.

It appears that there’s about a 1/16in gap from the passenger side of the moon roof corner and runs about 9 inches towards the center.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/jr9z74.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2saxope.jpg

My suggestion for a temporary fix would be a piece of tape to bridge the gap, but obviously you want a functioning sunroof. it seems like the sunroof assembly as a whole isn't installed straight. have a look into how to remove the assembly, if you can get it loose so that is able to be pushed around a little bit in it's pocket you may get it to seat against that back edge better. is there any kind of gap or over compressed looking rubber anywhere else?

My suggestion for a temporary fix would be a piece of tape to bridge the gap, but obviously you want a functioning sunroof. it seems like the sunroof assembly as a whole isn't installed straight. have a look into how to remove the assembly, if you can get it loose so that is able to be pushed around a little bit in it's pocket you may get it to seat against that back edge better. is there any kind of gap or over compressed looking rubber anywhere else?

The gap is only on that one corner, the rest of the 3 corners are flush and don't appear to be over compressed. It's almost as if the cut into the roof was cut a bit off on one corner. I searched on this very forum after this initial post and others have similar issues.

I was actually thinking if I can locate a flat white rubberized strip that I can secure with automotive double sided adhesive tape to the back area and run it across. This should make a better seal and completely eliminating the wind noise, however my concern would be if it works especially when tilting open and how clean will this look.

if you can find a nice thin weather strip with adhesive on one side you can stick it on a try to skinny it down in the area where the gap it trailing off. tho it's gonna be harder to narrow it down uniformly depending on what its made out of. (i was thinking of the foam type) I'll take a look at mine when i get out of work to see what kind of space you are working with when it's open

Right now my sunroof is working on my 2013, but I have to say that it feels cheap and may not be long-life. I had a 91 prelude for over 17 years and used the sunroof almost daily, 75% of the year. Not a SINGLE mechanical issue ever, and I think I lubed it once or twice, nothing fancy. I'll admit that it did eventually leak after a very heavy rainfall but the prelude had drainage holes in the A and C pillars so nothing would ever leak into the cabin.

Hopefully the Legacy, and it's sunroof, will hold up just as well

Perhaps the glass wasn't installed perfectly on the track? If you are able to loosen the glass from the track and shimmy it back in the corner that's not sealing tight, that might be a fix. On my 2003 Legacy, I removed the glass once to clean the assembly. The glass was held on the track with 4 or 6 nuts/bolts, and I seem to recall the setup allowed some room to shift the glass a bit on the track.

As for longevity, the one in my 2003 Legacy was completely dead when I sold it in 2014. It was getting finicky for a few years before that when it wouldn't always close on command, until finally the motor just quit working and I had to manually crank it closed and leave it closed. The seals also shrunk and caused leakage, but the drain holes at least kept it from leaking into the cabin. In other words, don't hold your breath for a long moonroof life if you're keeping the car more than 10 years. I've heard you should do maintenance on them every few years, although I'm not sure what that entails.

Mine would start to whistle a bit after it was opened. Eventually it went away. I brought it in under warranty and thinking I would need a new seal. Well the mechanic said he could adjust it. There are several adjustment points.

Well that fixed it. It has been quiet for years.

I am thinking that the right person has not had a chance to fix it.

There also the possibility that something broke causing the thing not to be adjusted. May it would be worth removing the headliner to get a better look at it.

Maybe price out a j/y unit.

• 1 year later...

I found this thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/sunroof-air-leak-closed-positon-180439.html

I seem to remember Gteaser maybe replacing his sunroof due to a freak accident, maybe he can give you some direction on adjustments. I would hate to believe it is just a quality issue with the glass.

If all else fails home depot sells weatherstripping with adhesive backing for doors, not perfect but it should get the job done.

Archived