LegacyGT.com

Advice on Turbo Inlets?

Hi all,

My OEM turbo inlet is torn and has accumulated a fair amount of oily residue where it meets the compressor. The local dealership quoted $138 for an OEM replacement, and I have found Mishimoto inlets for around $190. My car has a stock VF40, with stage 2 mods and tuned by Granite State Dyno.

I will be replacing this on my own soon, but have a question. Is there any "real" benefit to the Mishimoto (or other aftermarket inlets) or should I just stay with OEM? My gut says OEM, what do you think?

Cheers!

I went with OEM. Check on line pricing from one of the dealer vendor here. It was in May 2012, I think I paid like $90.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you stray from OEM (all it does is more boost noises), get the AVO for the 05-06 cars and *not* the Perrin.

My Perrin one is probably 1/2" too long on the turbo side which makes everything up front a bit more difficult. The worst bit is that the BPV connection spigot is 2-3" further forward which is how the 07-09 Legacies and the 08-14 WRX are, but Perrin lists it as fitting 05-06 Legacies too. It does but not well.

Getting the old one out is by far much more difficult than getting the new one in, at least when it came to my particular install. Some people fight for hours trying to get it on the turbo with 17 screw drivers and picks... I didn't need any tools and it took not even 5 minutes all 7 times I needed to pull it off because I forgot clamps or to connect PCV hoses or whatnot. The silicone inlets are much stiffer which makes twisting and aiming them much easier to get it over the lip on the turbo.

I keep reading it's not possible to install an OEM inlet with the manifold in place. Anyone actually done that?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I keep reading it's not possible to install an OEM inlet with the manifold in place. Anyone actually done that?

I R&R'd mine with the manifold in place. I did have the turbo off at the time, so that may have made it easier although I don't see any reason why the manifold needs to come off.

I was swapping a stock intake for a stock intake by the way.

From what I've heard about installing the others it's still might be easier to raise the manifold at the TGV's to head or TGV's to intake.

I think total hours to do the job may about the same ?

I have lifted the intake to replace the O-rings in the car and then removed the whole intake at the TGV's to head for the short block. Granted that was on the engine stand, but once you bite the bullet to do this job, and decide what your going to remove, buy the new gaskets...

Can you lift the manifold enough with the fuel lines attached ? They are not that hard to remove from the shock tower.

Disconnect the big electrical connector

Disconnect the turbo cooling tank hoses

some vacuum lines, may be ?

Can you lift the manifold enough to slide it out ?

May lay the PS pump to the side ?

May be BMB or covertrussian will chime in soon ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If you stray from OEM (all it does is more boost noises), get the AVO for the 05-06 cars and *not* the Perrin.

I do love more boost noises, but can't justify spending another $150 if I don't have to.

I searched a lot before posting, and this seemed to be the most informative "How To" (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-avo-turbo-inlet-hose-204330.html) and it suggests removing the 8 IM bolts so it can be lifted but not full removed from the engine. I will try my best to document my install in case it can be of help to others.

Another question, should I be replacing the IM gaskets if I end up removing the bolts and lifting it/moving it around?

This turbo inlet.....Is it a part that wears in time, and needs to be replaced,

and or are there other factors at play which necessitate replacement earlier?

Or?

thanks!

In some cases yes, the heat and the oil vapors attack the rubber flex section at the turbo inlet.

I'm thinking your ok for awhile yet, if your turbo ever needs replacing, than may be think about the inlet.

When I replaced my turbo at 142,000 miles I put a small cut in the end of the hose trying to line up the turbo. That's when I figured out to bolt the turbo to the up pipe. I replaced the inlet 12,000 miles later when I did the short block.

You should just go back to skiing and not to worry so much ;) LOL

I do love more boost noises, but can't justify spending another $150 if I don't have to.

I searched a lot before posting, and this seemed to be the most informative "How To" (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-avo-turbo-inlet-hose-204330.html) and it suggests removing the 8 IM bolts so it can be lifted but not full removed from the engine. I will try my best to document my install in case it can be of help to others.

Another question, should I be replacing the IM gaskets if I end up removing the bolts and lifting it/moving it around?

Yes, replace any gaskets you loosen, its cheaper then having to go back in later because the $10 gasket leaks.

This turbo inlet.....Is it a part that wears in time, and needs to be replaced,and or are there other factors at play which necessitate replacement earlier?

I am not sure if it is considered a "wear item", however, they are known to get covered in oil which causes the rubber to soften. Combine that with heat from the turbo and they can develop tears, which is where mine is at the moment.

Try to visually inspect where the inlet meets your compressor, and see if there is a bunch of oily residue built up in that area. May give you an indication of the condition of your inlet.

I did a misimoto a few months back. Pulling the intake was a pain but made it easier to install. It's large so you have to watch putting everything back together hoses get tight and I had to re-route a little. I hope it outlasts the stock and it does sound good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived