LegacyGT.com

Radiator Swap

So, my local oil change shop swapped out a dead headlight (passenger side), and in the process managed to break my radiator. He leaned on something while trying to coax the old lamp out, which was stuck.

What broke is the hose connection at the very top of the radiator. It's a plastic piece built into the unit, so the only choice is to replace the whole thing. They patched it up with JB Weld so I could roll it back home (less than a mile away), and I'm not about to drive the car anywhere else.

The shop quickly and rightly showed me what happened, and offered to replace the radiator for free. In fact, they've already got one in stock and I made an appointment on a day when the "regular mechanic" is there. I have no problem with their response from a customer service point of view. I didn't even get charged for the oil change.

But, do I trust them to swap the radiator? I talked to the store manager, who said it's a simple job. Considering how fussy this car has been historically, I'm leery. I'd sure rather have it done for free and give these guys a chance to redeem themselves. Is it truly an "easy" part swap, or are there gotchas, any reason to bail out and pay my regular mechanic to do it instead??

The car is a 2005 Legacy GT LTD wagon, automatic, 150k miles.

• Moderators

No "gotcha" moments with a radiator. Disconnect hoses / fans, remove, swap over fans, reinstall.

Get them to replace both radiator hoses with OEM--tell them NOT to use "cut to fit" hoses. Supply the parts if needed.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Or get exact fit hoses from the auto parts store, mine work great.

I found the OEM hose to be hard to slip on the neck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Whew, this basically sounds like a no-brainer. Thanks for the clues and reassurance.

If this all goes well, I'll have a new radiator (with antifreeze) and fresh synthetic oil change for the cost of a lightbulb. Taking lemons and making lemonade. :cool:

:lol: I broke the same spout just underneath the radiator cap, and the same I JB Weld the crap out of it. If you seen what I did you would be :lol::lol:. Plan on getting a new radiator next month.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Common enough to break the thing, I suppose.

And, as promised, they replaced my radiator. No charge. No work order or receipt either, and no implied warranty. They acknowledged it was their mistake and did right to fix it, but clearly they didn't want to leave a paper trail for corporate. No leaks and the car is running great.

So... For a grand total of about $35, I've got a NEW radiator (with hoses and fluid), working headlights, and a fresh synthetic oil change. Beat that with a stick! :icon_bigg

Archived