LegacyGT.com

Turbo Failed, Again

Hello,

Our 2005 Legacy GT (with 46595 miles) turbo was replaced – brand new - by a Subaru dealership on May 2014, now this same dealership is telling us it needs to be replaced again with 58056 miles.

We were charged over $3000.00 for this work last time….now we just don’t know what options we have as the dealer said the warranty on the initial replacement was one year.

Please advise and thank you all in advance!

Do not pay to have another turbo put in. Do not take it back to that dealership. Find independent shop that specializes in turbo subarus. Something is causing your turbos to blow (most likely oil related) and they will continue to blow until the problem is fixed. This is common with these cars

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

You may have clogged banjo bolt screens which the Subaru dealer should have been size enough to replace with the new turbo. If those are plugged it starves the turbo of oil and they will fail. Many times this failure sends pieces of the turbo into the motor .

Turbos failing so close together has the earmarks of clogged banjo filters. Oil starvation=short turbo life. The dealership really should have addressed what is a common issue. I wouldn't trust them with this repair. Hopefully the turbo didn't send metal into the engine, in many cases turbo failure is closely followed by block failure.

Sorry to hear that, can you describe any symptoms of the failure, noises or smoking etc?

I agree with previous posts about oil starvation caused by a clogged banjo filter. Changes are that could be the cause for the original turbo failing and now this. If you have a17mm stubby wrench and are mechanically inclined you can remove the bolt yourself to inspect it. There are several write ups on here about it.

Good luck!

Tell us who does the oil changes on the car ? Is it that dealership ?

If you have a record of the oil changes, Subaru may help you out somehow with your low mileage. Did you buy the car new?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You guys are so good....THANKS.

Yes, the service manager insisted that we don't do regular oil change, until he looked up our records. Then he said it was due to hard and long distant driving, until he asked his service advisor to checked the mileage.

My wife drives this car and she is NOT a racer, truth be known, she drives too slow (always within the speed limit)

He's in Canada, so the dollar value is higher. Everything cost more there. Have you watched that show Property Brothers, seems they do a lot of houses in Canada, the home prices are outrages.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You guys are so good....THANKS.

Yes, the service manager insisted that we don't do regular oil change, until he looked up our records. Then he said it was due to hard and long distant driving, until he asked his service advisor to checked the mileage.

My wife drives this car and she is NOT a racer, truth be known, she drives too slow (always within the speed limit)

I'd call Subaru and see what they might do. I co-worker had the head gasket go on his 2004 Baja out of warrenty, with 90,000 miles, he called and got some help from Subaru

Yes, we purchased this car new with a Subaru dealership.

We did ask the service manager if there is any way Subaru can assist given the overall low mileage and the turbo was changed 1.5 years ago, he flatly said "No' because it was purchased in the USA. Augh! :-(

Hey fellow Ontarian here. NV Auto in Hamilton does all the work on my LGT. They're a subie shop and I've been taking my car there ever since I got it. Those guys are fantastic! I would definitely take it there if you can.

I'm pretty sure the dealership did not take out the banjo bolt filters and this is what caused the failure again. I got them taken out right after I replaced the turbo when I bought it at 150,000km. I'm at 200,000 and it runs like a champ *knocks on wood*.

nightmonkeygt, love to have it done in Hamilton (went to MAC).

The advise here said we should not be driving this car given this problem, thus, driving from Toronto to Hamilton probably won't work.

The dealer just called and said Subaru Canada CANNOT do anything for us.

I called and updated Subaru America. The lady said we have to get the work done first, send them the invoice and then they will decide if the can do anything for us.

Wow, some bad luck I guess!

That sucks dude. It's definitely not a good idea to drive it with the blown turbo. I parked mine as soon as the turbo failed and I was lucky in that I didn't need a new shortblock.

Can you have it towed to NV Auto? I mean, you shouldn't be driving it anyways in this condition. If you know someone with CAA they can actually have it towed for you. I have CAA myself so if you need some help let me know!

Either way, Best of luck in getting this fixed!

nightmonkeygt, love to have it done in Hamilton (went to MAC).

The advise here said we should not be driving this car given this problem, thus, driving from Toronto to Hamilton probably won't work.

The dealer just called and said Subaru Canada CANNOT do anything for us.

I called and updated Subaru America. The lady said we have to get the work done first, send them the invoice and then they will decide if the can do anything for us.

Wow, some bad luck I guess!

You had the dealer call Subaru of Canada, do you think that was a good idea...I'm sure they were on your side...

Thanks nightmonkeygt, I will see if I can get it to another dealership in Toronto. Maybe CAA do this as it is a shorter distance.

Max, no kidding....I am sure that service manager was on our side. Yesterday, as he was not going to make accommodations on the cost of the work/replacement, we were out the door when I asked for Subaru Canada's phone number and he suddenly said he will contact them directly as he has a 'very strong' rapport with the Subaru rep for the Toronto area. Well, the answer was a big 'No'. so much for that rapport.

Given everyone’s good advises here, we believe it is still best to get it done and hope for the best with Subaru America. But this work will be done with another dealership for sure!

Yep, I would not go to the dealership. They only know what Subaru tells them. They can only do what Subaru allows them too.

We know here, those banjo filters are a bad idea. I have both removed for over 65,000 miles now. My trusted mechanic removed the first one at 141,000 miles when I got the P0011 and P0021 CEL. He said they remove them from these cars that have that CEL. He told me my turbo was on borrowed time. Listen to it and have a plan to replace it.

Wow, that's like hiring a prostitute and having her tell you she Might give you some of your own money back. :rolleyes:

Thanks nightmonkeygt, I will see if I can get it to another dealership in Toronto. Maybe CAA do this as it is a shorter distance.

Max, no kidding....I am sure that service manager was on our side. Yesterday, as he was not going to make accommodations on the cost of the work/replacement, we were out the door when I asked for Subaru Canada's phone number and he suddenly said he will contact them directly as he has a 'very strong' rapport with the Subaru rep for the Toronto area. Well, the answer was a big 'No'. so much for that rapport.

Given everyone’s good advises here, we believe it is still best to get it done and hope for the best with Subaru America. But this work will be done with another dealership for sure!

Seriously? Do you honestly believe the service manager had your best interest in mind? If it's done as a warranty, they lose about 35% of their revenue they would receive if you pay outright. Call them (SOA) yourself and bitch loudly and mention Facebook and Twitter and everything else in social media.

By the way, the dealer CANT put it together without the banjo filter. They are not allowed to remove it.

Archived