LegacyGT.com

New Driving Lights

Aczwild

Those are awesome. Where did you get your light bar? Do you know if they make the bar for 05+ Legacy's yet?
Got the bar from Rallitek, as for an 05+ fit, PM Rallitek.com

Thanks for all the comments, I'll post more pics of the diffenece tonight...

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Very nice install, both interior and out! :D

Man, I'm blind from just looking at those pix! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I've posted these links before, but for anyone interested in Gen4 mounting systems, it can be done:

http://photos.all.id.au/SJ_IPF900/IMG_5905

http://photos.all.id.au/ALBUMS/SJ_I..._5901.sized.jpg

Since upgrading to the IPF900's, the mounts have been strengthened (the lights don't move an inch) - here's a pic of the mount system before I improved things:

http://photos.all.id.au/ALBUMS/SJ_S...1_IMG.sized.jpg

Currently running 130 watt bulbs with a high-current wiring system. The results are rather good... :)

That looks cool I always liked that look, but its not really the look iam going for on my GT. I was talking to jedi ath the meet this weekend anbout getting smaller driving lights and mounting them hidden under my sport grille. It looks as if there is enough room and if I could get some sort of idea I could mount a small bar to where the hood latch is and than mount the lights to that. Like I said there is room there, I would just want the lights to be small so it wouldent effect flow to the radiator. What you all think, got any ideas?

looking good

you're going to keep them covered most of the time, correct?

aside from the fact that i'm sure one of those lamps is a bitch to replace if a rock jumps up and cracks it -- I've always been told that it's illegal to drive around without covers on them.. any truth to that?

There sure is. FYI, you're an equipment violation waiting to happen. Here's the VSA (VT reg!) that pertains to your auxiliary lights:

-----------------------------------------

Title 23: Motor Vehicles

Chapter 13: OPERATION OF VEHICLES

23 V.S.A. § 1246. -Restrictions

§ 1246. -Restrictions

A person shall not use on a vehicle of any kind operated on the highway during the period stated in section 1243 of this title any lighting device of over
four candle power (!)
equipped with a reflector, unless such device and the lens used therein, and such candle power is
approved by the commissioner of motor vehicles
, nor unless the same shall be so designed, deflected or arranged that a
beam of reflected light therefrom, when measured seventy-five feet or more ahead of the lamps shall not rise more than six inches above the height of the bulb in such lamp and in no event more than forty-two inches from the level surface on which the vehicle stands
under all conditions of load. When vehicles are approaching each other from opposite directions, spotlights shall not be used except when projecting their rays directly on the ground and at a distance not exceeding thirty feet in front of the vehicle.

The stuff I boldfaced is how they'll cite you. The commissioner of motor vehicles allows, as a default, all DOT-approved OEM lighting, but can reject whatever else if he chooses. I'd stop into any VT State Police barracks (not in your car!), and ask them to help you "plan" the legal maximum you're allowed for an auxialiary setup. They won't ask you for ID :). At least you'll know what you're up against...

There sure is. FYI, you're an equipment violation waiting to happen. Here's the VSA (VT reg!) that pertains to your auxiliary lights:

Title 23: Motor Vehicles

Chapter 13: OPERATION OF VEHICLES

23 V.S.A. § 1246. -Restrictions

§ 1246. -Restrictions

A person shall not use on a vehicle of any kind operated on the highway during the period stated in section 1243 of this title any lighting device of over
four candle power (!)
equipped with a reflector, unless such device and the lens used therein, and such candle power is
approved by the commissioner of motor vehicles
, nor unless the same shall be so designed, deflected or arranged that a
beam of reflected light therefrom, when measured seventy-five feet or more ahead of the lamps shall not rise more than six inches above the height of the bulb in such lamp and in no event more than forty-two inches from the level surface on which the vehicle stands
under all conditions of load.
When vehicles are approaching each other from opposite directions, spotlights shall not be used except when projecting their rays directly on the ground and at a distance not exceeding thirty feet in front of the vehicle.

The stuff I boldfaced is how they'll cite you. The commissioner of motor vehicles allows, as a default, all DOT-approved OEM lighting, but can reject whatever else if he chooses. I'd stop into any VT State Police barracks (not in your car!), and ask them to help you "plan" the legal maximum you're allowed for an auxialiary setup. They won't ask you for ID :). At least you'll know what you're up against...

The lights are wired up to only turn on when the high beams are on and both the switches are on. Once the high beams are switched off the driving lights instantly switch off even if the driving light switches are still on, therefore as stated above (bigger bold) I should be safe, besides it woulnd be the first time I have been pulled over and I do have covers for them.

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

The lights are wired up to only turn on when the high beams are on and both the switches are on. Once the high beams are switched off the driving lights instantly switch off even if the driving light switches are still on, therefore as stated above (bigger bold) I should be safe...

Wrong on both counts. The law refers to the location and brightness of the lights, and doesn't give a rat's ass about wiring. Do you really think a trooper is going to stick his head inside your car for a switch demo? And (even if he did) that he'd buy that your switch setup will ensure that you'd never be tardy dimming your aircraft landing lights for oncoming vehicles?

BTW, the VSA that I didn't boldface, but which you did, refers to true spotlights: the "Car 54" kind, mounted to the door and with a handle for aiming. Not applicable here.

As for light covers: nobody uses them if it means on and off each day/night cycle. After a week of remembering, you'll either forget or say "screw it"! Then you're back to the VSA...

I hear what you are saying and I understand how I probably am breaking the law, but how many damn 4x4's have auxillary lights mounted on them, and drive on the street? Im not using my lights everytime that I flick on the high beams and if a cop really has a problem with it then I will show him the switches and how it is wired (which is DOT approved and specifically instructed for the Hella Driving lights) and I would definitely, if he gave me a ticket for just having them there, fight it in court. In all honesty I really dont care becuase these lights mean I'll be able to see the deer that litter the roads that I take home from school and I'd much rather keep my ass safe and my car safe and even any passengers I have in the car with these lights.

And dont take it personally either, I'm not giving you shit for any of this and thanks for pointing everything out.

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Most of the lights also have this little tiny note at the bottom. "For off-road use only."
True most do, not these. From the box, and I quote:

"SAE compliant, The model 500 halogen lamps are designed to improve road visibility in all driving conditions. Driving lamps are best suited for increased road visibility at longer distances."

These lights are intended to be used along side of the high beams to allow for better visibility and not for off road use only

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Well to put an end to the legalities of the lights, I emailed the Vermont DMV head office reffering to the lights and the usage of driving lights (not off-road only) while the highbeams of the vehicle are on during a normal night time driving condition, where highbeam usage is allowable. I'll let you all know what the response is when I get it in a few days or so.

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

The reason you don't see trucks getting pulled over is because they sort of blend in with the rest of the vehicle and aren't noticed as much. I'm not saying that they look bad, I'm just saying that they are going to draw attention on your car whether they are covered or not. If you have all four of those light canons turned on when a cop is coming the other way, you can bet he'll flip around if he is able. It's not legal to put out that much light on a public road even when high beams are allowed. If it were then everybody would have 5 1,000,000 candle power spot lights strapped to their cars to punish slow drivers in front of them and just call it their 'high beams'. I know I would.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

If it were then everybody would have 5 1,000,000 candle power spot lights strapped to their cars to punish slow drivers in front of them and just call it their 'high beams'. I know I would.
Shit you figured out the real reason behind these lights along with the 118db Hella horns behind them :D:D:D.

Nah you're right, it doesnt stand out on trucks, but with my car, damn I have had more people point at the front with their mouths wide open while I'm drving down main street in the day and I cant tell you how many times I have caught people checking out the front when its in a parking lot and hey atleast I'm getting more respect from fellow Subie owners. Every WRX that has passed me going the other way has flashed a thumbs up.

Yea we'll see what the DMV says and I'm betting that they will say that it isnt legal, but hey its my safety on the road when no one else is around and I'm willing to risk a ticket and then fight it, than hitting a deer or a moose while going over the Adorondacks and risking serious injury. Oh and yea before anyone says it, yes it could, if I wasnt paying attention cause safety issues for others blinded on the road, but I understand and accept the responsibility that comes with running lights like this. And hey, how many that posted here have a car with front windows tinted when your state DMV laws specify that you can't do it?

Alright, sorry to piss anyone off and yea we'll see what the state says and then I'll let you guys know and you can laugh at me :rolleyes:

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

If it is legal, then go for it. Light the night.

If it is illegal, it shouldn't be. Another way that government is regulating things that don't matter.

I can see regulating them to say that they should be off when the low beams and foglights are on. But for high beam useage, when no one else is in front of you (no one to care about it...) why regulate that?

People should be free to mount as many lights on their car as they want as long as the car remains roadworthy. As long as the driver isn't blinding other people, I've never seen the big problem...

BTW, they look great. Very rally-esque. if money were no object it would be awesome to see 4 HID beams on there... Talk about your candlepower... You could light nighttime sporting events...

I had lights similar to yours mounted on the front bumper of my old Audi (mine were definitely not DOT approved driving lights though, they were off-road truck lights), and I never had any problems driving in California, Nevada, Utah, or Colorado. I usually left the covers on them since I didn't use them that often, but even with the covers off, no one cared. I guess YMMV depending on location though, in terms of trouble with the law. Just don't have them on with other cars around (obviously).

If it is legal, then go for it. Light the night.

If it is illegal, it shouldn't be. Another way that government is regulating things that don't matter.

I can see regulating them to say that they should be off when the low beams and foglights are on. But for high beam useage, when no one else is in front of you (no one to care about it...) why regulate that?

People should be free to mount as many lights on their car as they want as long as the car remains roadworthy. As long as the driver isn't blinding other people, I've never seen the big problem...

BTW, they look great. Very rally-esque. if money were no object it would be awesome to see 4 HID beams on there... Talk about your candlepower... You could light nighttime sporting events...

Thats what I figure too, I havent gotten any crap from officers yet and they have seen them plenty of times (no on, but without covers) and, yea like I said before, even if they are illegal, I'll still use them for my own safety on the real bad roads expecially when I'm driving through the snow. And yea, if money weren't an issue there would be HIDs on here (the ones that go over a mile), but for $68 a pair with all the wires included, I couldnt go wrong :D

If you learn to use night vision gogles, you wouldn't even need to use lights.
This is true, but then the ladies would stare when I pulled up to traffic lights and my peripheral would be non-existent :D

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

...then the ladies would stare when I pulled up to traffic lights and my peripheral would be non-existent :D
Don't worry, they will in fact be staring:).

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/p9cb8110b13105fed37b7b2f71aa72f05/f1ce8d4f.jpg

• 3 years later...

sorry to bring up an old thread. But what wire did you use as the trigger wire for the spotlights? im having some problems getting my lights to work as i only want them to work with the HIGH BEAMS on only via a seperate switch as you did.

im no wiring diagram pro, but i make out that wire R (red) is the trigger for the high beams... but when i put my multimetre on this wire, its 12v when low beams are on, and 0v when high beams are on :(

so am i right in saying that the high beam is actually a -ve trigger and to get it to work i just need to swap the wires around on the relay? The relay i got with the kit is 4 prong. 12v constant, earth, trigger, output. i haven't tried it yet, but assuming that because the trigger wire is actually going to 0v when high beam is on and not 12v like it should - it wont work as a trigger and the spot lights wont work with high beam on. but they will work with low-beam on which is not what i want.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/namwens/untitledaaa.jpg

before anyone says anything, yes, my car is RHD.

Archived