LegacyGT.com

Found my new project

So I took a chance and bought a 2005 OBXT manual that PO thought had a rod knock for a great price. after checking it over it appears to be piston slap, or lifter buckets which I'm not that concerned about. but still a project, PO bought and installed an STI 16g and bigger intercooler, and just welded up some pipe to run the vehicle since the intercooler wouldn't fit, Straight piped the exhaust and has a open filter hanging off the intake tube. all sorts of strange things to sort out, but I've got most of it figured out. Long story short heres the list

Already installed new STI oil pump, gates timing w/p kit and radiator(was leaking)

Install STI intake manifold and finish up an STI style swap

Install mufflers on the existing exhaust till I get things right, and do some shopping for whats going to replace it

Get a Vag cable and install a base tune through Romraider

find a factory airbox, or install a decent RAM intake

install STI fuel pump and possible larger injectors

install boost gauge and wideband is stealth cubby pod

clean up and detail as best I can, and enjoy

I'm sure I missed something on there, but I'm just excited to talk about it. Let me know what you think, unless its "you should have never bought it" or "why do STi swap" as I already own it and STI swap is 2/3 done. but I am open to suggestions on what type of upgrades, or things to fix/watch for

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y301/Tanner_Noll/IMAG0585_zpsjtdq3cnu.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y301/Tanner_Noll/IMAG0594_zpskpymmunc.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y301/Tanner_Noll/IMAG0592_zpsm4utfgaz.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y301/Tanner_Noll/IMAG0586_zpspkgwbw2p.jpg

• Moderators

My suggestion after working on a much older and probably cheaper project, do what you HAVE to in order to get it running safely and then drive it some. Shake out any further issues to make sure you don't have something significant to deal with.

Just my two cents. Otherwise, read up on here and good luck :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

My suggestion after working on a much older and probably cheaper project, do what you HAVE to in order to get it running safely and then drive it some. Shake out any further issues to make sure you don't have something significant to deal with.

Just my two cents. Otherwise, read up on here and good luck :)

Thank you, and I stole this one, I paid less than half of what a decent stock one is going for around here, let alone people selling same year legacy gt/wrxs with similar mods. I know I've got some work to do but I could blow the motor, pay someone to rebuild it and still come out ahead. I do plan on doing a good shake down after I get it to drivable condition to make sure the rest of it is in good shape.

Compression and leak down test were good?

Looking at the engine bay and guessing "how the PO did it", I'm pretty sure he ran it on the OEM tune...

Anyway if you can afford it, it can become a nice grocery getter or your worst money pit ;)

I could advise you with more info but i'll start with that.

Verify the engine health first then go from there.

Welcome to the forum (lots of usefull info around)

I bought a 2005 GT and got the money pit. Came out the other side and it is by far my most favorite ride I have ever had. I had cryotune etune it after replacing crank, rods, pistons, turbo (BNR 16g) brakes(ebc red) on Subaru new rotors. Left front door (found the same color!) Front headlamps and bumper cover x2 (sliced the first on a snowpile in the drive) koni rears and koni cut a strut in front. White lines ft and rear bars, avo Tmic and rear sway bar brace. Already had a catless dp. The list goes on but suffice to say it is fast and on rails. When I bought it at $5500.00 below book I thought I stole it. PO said it only needed a turbo.

A word of caution I read fix the handling and brakes first. Because I had to fix the engine first that did not happen. Almost crashed the first hard pass up Bent Mountain. Fix the handling and brakes

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well it turns after some oil filter cuts and a engine noise getting louder I will need to rebuild it. So I will be pulling the engine over the next few weekends and doing a full rebuild. Might be a piston skirt, so hopefully the block is okay. wish me luck

Archived