LegacyGT.com

Blown/Seized motor in a 2005 Legacy 2.5 GT

I was hoping to get some help on a few engine issues. About 2 weeks ago my 2005 Subaru legacy 2.5 GT started showing a P0302 misfire code http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif every 3-4 days or so, given it was my daily I hardly get on the throttle. Well i confirmed the cylinder is blown and have to rebuild the motor. Seeing as it is my daily with only a turbo back and a tune I was planing on just replacing the stock short block and getting the heads checked and machined and throw it back on. The main questions is does the STI short block bolt right up and have the same tune as the 2005 legacy/intake manifold/ and all other bits. Or if i get an sti short block will there be some other parts I need. I found a short block for 2,000 and was wondering if that is cheaper then getting a shop to rebuild the motor with stock parts?

Second main questions is today my girlfriend was driving her 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT and hasn't been checking the oil, looks like the car shut off when driving so I suspected the motor seized. I throw a breaker bar on the main crack and tried to turn it once we got it home and it wont budge. Can her motor even be rebuilt? I'm assuming due to metal expansion that the short block is toast but I should be able to reuse her heads?

Since I have both of our car broken atm I'm looking for the fastest, and cheapest method to get them back on the road and us to work.

Both need at least short blocks.

Your first question: The EJ257 bolts in place with everything from your EJ255. You should have the tune checked but if your tune was made when your engine was healthy, it should be quite close.

Do the same on both cars.

Honestly the faster and cheapest method is to buy two $2000 daily drivers for you and your gf.

Because that is what it will cost to get one of your lgt's running if you go the short block route.

Main question:Yes. STi short block will bolt up just fine. You can get one delivered for ~1800 from Heuberger Subaru (Colorado dealership that does online sales). In my quick calculations for what work I was comfortable with, I could piece a block together for ~1500. Up to you to determine if the savings are worth it. It definitely adds complexity to your new driveway paper weight project.

Who did your tune? Call them up and ask what they would recommend if you use X block. (You'll need to have that figured out already)

Second question: Make sure heads are okay. There had to be quite the oil leak or some serious neglect going on to run it dry of oil. If so, new short block. See above for compatibility and sourcing of new block. Take heads to Subaru capable shop, explain quite the oil leak/serious neglect, and ask for their opinion on rebuilding and reusing the heads.

At the end of the day, both cars could end up costing 4000-5000 each just to get them back on the road.

Fastest and cheapest way to get to work is to buy two $2000 daily drivers for you and your gf.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with both LGTs buddy. I'd listen to what everyone has already said. There really is no cheap way of getting these cars back on the road. I mean, you could put a low mileage engine in it and call it a day. You'll save maybe a couple grand but it could end up costing much more in the long run if that motor fails too.

The fastest and the cheapest is an engine from the wrecking yard. I just checked my local folks, they have 6 of 2005-2006 Legacy GT engines available from $2350 to $2700.

Then you can take your time with the engines that are blown and go thru them rebuild one nice one.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Decided to sell them both due to the time needed and other projects I'm currently doing around the house, thanks a lot for everyone's input. If I had the time I would have definitely rebuilt them.

Decided to sell them both due to the time needed and other projects I'm currently doing around the house, thanks a lot for everyone's input. If I had the time I would have definitely rebuilt them.

I'm curious how much you got for two LGTs with blown engines?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Archived