LegacyGT.com

Add Saggy Butt Spacers, Or Just Leave Stock Springs?

Tobino

Okay, I've got a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon which is notorious for the "saggy butt." I have a set of Tein H-Tech springs which as of now are only installed in the front on OEM struts. With stock springs in the back and Tein H-Techs in the front the car has a pretty even/slightly raked stance to it and looks good. I just picked up some Spec-B Bilsteins and plan on installing them soon. I'm expecting the front Bilsteins with H-Tech springs to drop the front a little less than 1". Now the tricky part since the stock Spec-B springs rates are the same as the LGT which are also the same as the Tein H-Tech springs (5.5Kg/mm) what would perform better....The thought being that I'm either going to have to use a saggy butt spacer with the Tein's or no saggy but spacer with the stock springs. No saggy butt spacer=no loss of suspension travel. Since Teins are the same springs rate is it fair to assume they're going to sag similar to the stock springs?

-Spec-B Bilsteins w/ stock Spec-B springs without saggy butt spacers.

or

-Spec-B Bilsteins w/ Tein H-Tech Springs with 3/8" saggy butt spacer.

*Note the Spec B springs have about 125K on them while the Teins are brand new out of the box.

Which one of those do you think will perform better? I'd rather not decrease my rear suspensions travel with lowering springs and a spacer, that seems counter productive. But at the end of the day I want what will perform better and give the car a modest drop.

Thanks any feedback and nerding out with me!

You can;t run Spec.B Bilstein struts with springs intended for the base and limited. The base and limited came from the factory with KYB struts and shocks, which had a totally different spring setup. The only other available springs I know of are the JDM STi springs, commonly referred to here as "JDM pinks", which can be hard to come by.

I would suggest JDM Spec.b springs with saggy butt spacers because, well, there's not much out there :)

You can also take a look at OB2.5XT's setup, I believe he has King springs(rear only) and it leveled out much more nicely for him.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

It really depends on what your goals are.

I've used the sti pinks with Bilsteins and also coilovers, but the ride was too choppy for me and I hated driving my car.

My compromise was the same idea you're currently using. I run Epic springs in the front with Oem Wagon springs in the rear, both on oem KYB's. It gives the car a slightly raked stance and rides close to stock.

Archived