LegacyGT.com

The EPA wants to take away our right to racecar!

LatentWagen

The EPA wants to forever stop our right to say "because racecar"...

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08/epa-seeks-to-prohibit-conversion-of-vehicles-into-racecars

... by making track-converted road cars, and the parts that enable these conversions, illegal. That is some scary language, right there! How many parts do you have on your car that say "for offroad or track use only"? Buying/selling/installing these parts would be illegal under the proposed regulation. I can think of more than a few on my own car (intercooler, exhaust, coilovers, suspension bits, etc).

So, if this sounds like crap to you too, sign the petition:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/tell-epa-withdraw-its-proposal-prohibit-conversion-vehicles-racecars-0

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Side stepping your ignorance and hate for a second... if voters/democracy are responsible for this, then voters/democracy can fix it.

If you don't like the legislation, sign up for the petition! If you don't like the politics, vote for someone else, or run yourself... but that's for another forum not called "Motorsports" ;)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I signed this today. Not sure whether 100k signatures on a petition will really do anything. I'm just not savvy on how this works. But apparently the proposal is only applicable to medium and heavy duty engines. But we all know it's just a precursor to banning it for small vehicles. Someone obviously has it out for the gear heads. The % of cars on the road that this would ever apply to is so small that it wont make any real difference in emissions. It's pretty stupid. But 'tis the gubment.

Side stepping your ignorance and hate for a second... if voters/democracy are responsible for this, then voters/democracy can fix it.

If you don't like the legislation, sign up for the petition! If you don't like the politics, vote for someone else, or run yourself... but that's for another forum not called "Motorsports" ;)

Ignorance and hate. Yep the predictable response of a PC moron who is uncomfortable hearing the unvarnished truth.

Ignorance and hate. Yep the predictable response of a PC moron who is uncomfortable hearing the unvarnished truth.

Oh tell me more truths, please! Go on, I can handle it, I was raised in a red state :munch:

Seriously, Penguin, I think you should talk to someone about your anger issues. In the mean time, channel some of your fury toward the EPA's proposed legislation, and sign the petition!

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Oh tell me more truths, please! Go on, I can handle it, I was raised in a red state :munch:

Seriously, Penguin, I think you should talk to someone about your anger issues. In the mean time, channel some of your fury toward the EPA's proposed legislation, and sign the petition!

:lol:

Did you vote for the current President?

Did you vote for either of your current Senators from New York?

If your answer to either question is "yes" then you can blame yourself for helping install the current totalitarian regime at the EPA lead by GIna McCarthy. The President nominated her, and the Senate confirmed her.

If you really want to have an impact, ignore the petition and write to your various Congress critters.

Bumping...Everyone who has an interest in modifying cars should be signing this petition. This does NOT only apply to heavy duty trucks...

Every part you purchase without CARB compliance would essentially go away as these are designed for "offroad use only". This is the real purpose of this EPA proposal as it has been a loop hole they are trying to close for some time.

Thanks for the bump. That's the thing, it's not the "racecar conversions" it's the parts. How many of us actually turn our street cars into race cars? Not that many... but how many of us have exhausts, or suspension parts? Power mods? Byebye, all illegal now. No more parts, no more parts manufactures.

My hunch is that "Big Auto" has something to do with this, as they've been trying to squeeze out the aftermarket for a long time now (Ford, for example), and capture the business.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

You got it. No more aftermarket mods.

So if you don't want to sell a part for race use, you go through the wonderful process of CARB approval. The CARB board would essentially control ALL what is released out there for cars (probably the entire point of this proposal by the EPA). Prices would go up as CARB approval costs $$$ and takes a lot of time.

In an effort to clean up the air for a tiny percentage of vehicles on the road, they would put an entire industry of aftermarket part manufacturers, installers, etc. out of business. Real economic stimulation here....

I try to avoid anything political on our facebook page, but this one was just too ridiculous :)

^ I just browsed through that interpretation. In essence, I quote (emphasis added):

This new language states that a motor vehicle can never be modified, even if it is used solely for competition and never again used on public roads. The EPA is seeking to prohibit modifications affecting any emissions-related component, such as engines, engine control modules, intakes, exhaust systems, etc.

The language affecting “vehicles used solely for competition” (i.e., racecars) was a “miscellaneous EPA amendment” and would, in fact, affect all light-duty vehicles, not just trucks.

In other words, you buy a car, you can't do anything to it except maybe change the tires? Awesome...

OP. I know you are active on that 'what did you do your legacy...' thread. Tell the guys about it.

Also, Penguin does have a point though.. When the people elect the wrong administration, then that's what we get :(.

You got it. Very scary language.

OP. I know you are active on that 'what did you do your legacy...' thread. Tell the guys about it.

Also, Penguin does have a point though.. When the people elect the wrong administration, then that's what we get :(.

Good idea, I'll link them in...

I wasn't taking issue with his point, just his delivery. He has no clue who I did or didn't vote for.

Regardless of who was elected, blue or red, this has been a consistent march over the last few decades... news flash: both parties are on the take! But, that's a rant for the political forum. Read: bicker elsewhere.

If you want to do something about this, sign the petition, and (as Penguin said) call your congressperson!

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Signed and seriously you know how hard the parts companies are gonna lobby against this. They stand to loose millions . Edited by battelready

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Saw this a little while ago on Jalopnik.

Here's the really **** up part: it's never been legal to alter the emissions controls on a production car. IANAL, but I dug through the relevant legislation and the EPA is right when they say this is a "clarification" and not a new rule.

Title 40, as it has always been written, explicitly prohibits what we and all the parts makers have been doing for decades. It's not obvious, and its not easy to understand, but it's true. It's just that for some reason they only just now have decided to say, "oh BTW, y'all are breaking the law."

Of course, if they had, you know, SAID something at some point, the rules could have been changed. Instead, they let us all just cruise along thinking we were okay, and then dropped a bombshell on an entire industry. Okay, it's our fault for not knowing the law, but we can hardly be blamed given the historic zero-enforcement policy and obscurity of the rules.

Edited by boxkita