LegacyGT.com

Cooled seats

• 2 weeks later...

I will need some foam for the the bolstering, which doesn't seem to be hard to find. I got my mesh fabric in, not what I was expecting but should work fine even if it needs to be doubled. On to the next issue...

So my pc blowers arrived for my cooled seat project and well they are underwhelming...however I still think them will do the job but may require both blowers in a seat bottom. I did however find these little beauties:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6453/fan-397/Cooljag_Everflow_80mm_x_38mm_Fan_-_5666_CFM_F128038BU.html?tl=g36c15s699#blank

a bit thicker and louder than I would like, but the airflow is hard to argue with...thoughts from people who know more about PC parts than me. I am thinking the noise wont be that evident from inside the seat/seatback and I could always underpower them to the tune of say 8 to 9 volts and go full force only when desired.

I would love to find a blower rated at this type of air movement in a compact size but all I keep coming up with in the affordable range is bilge blowers, which IME are not quiet in any sense of the word.

Those are typically what they use in server racks, reason why they're so loud :lol:

I have know-how on PC building but I don't do it for a living or anything. They're usually quieter the larger you go...and they're not cheap. It's hard to say if it'll be loud enough that you'll hear it over your exhaust.

I'd go with something that's really high CFM but low dBA. You'd have to go to a 120mm or 140mm fan. You can just regulate it to your liking. Go big or go home. How much room you think you have to work with?

I don't want to have to cut a 5 to 8 inch hole in the foam, I was trying to stay around 3" or less. I have another idea I am looking into. A turbo fan for a rc airplane...we shall see.

My issue with the pc fans is they don't push a lot of pressure so ideally I would like something that has oomph not just cfm. I am also considering a rear air blower from an suv or van.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Your best bet if you want to use PC fans would probably be something made for use with water cooling radiators, they typically make a lot more static pressure than your average fan. The downside is that most (if not all) of those fans are going to be 120mm square. You'd probably get a lot more out of a squirrel-cage blower, you'd just need to find somewhere to mount it and connect the dots with flex tubing or something.

filters are used on many of the oem seat blowers, which really are just the white fiber filter cut to fit the blower inlet. I want to get a working setup before I worry about details. And I have tried finding a squirel cage motor. Maybe have come close...

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Blowers-Fans/DC-Centrifugal-Blowers/160-CFM-24-VDC-BLOWER-DUAL-SQUIRREL-CAGE-BLOWER-16-1151.axd

FLlegacy, by going this route with cooling, have you considered how dust buildup might be an issue down the line?

Thanks for getting me thinking harder on the blower route, I just had a brain fart...bicycle inner tube with spacer mesh inside would mean no cutting holes in the seats just feed the innertube/mesh where I want it to cool. If it works at all then I can add a bigger blower. And after trying the blowers I have again they may not make a world of difference but can definitely prove the concept!

Oh I see now. You don't want to cut too much foam because you want to keep the seat mostly intact. You're gonna have to make a sacrifice. Large, quiet, high CFM fans or small, loud, high CFM fans. Or this: http://goo.gl/3IPglf Just go all out with it. Says confined space blower :p 980CFM! "at an incredibly quiet 74dB"

I feel like the bicycle inner tube is on the right track. Some kind of perforated thin ducting and have the blower fan mounted at the bottom of the seat instead of in the seat.

Exactly, I already have the spacer mesh to fill the inner tube so it will flow air no matter what I just need a blower that will push enough volume with enough pressure to cool the seat. That is why I am thinking oem blower of some sort.

Here is the spacer mesh to give you an idea of what I am working around. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/25/f0a26ad768212c24831dfed2fb043b73.jpg

Another pic to show my mockup with stuff I have around the house. It's funny looking but I can already see the limitations of these fans. When I "crush" the "tube" I can still feel airflow at the end but it is greatly diminished.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/25/0259b379b7139cda4acf726c858d25bd.jpg

I think it would have to be something that can support weight. I'm thinking this:

http://evacuumstore.com/images/product/large/crevice%20tool.jpg

Like one of those under the couch vacuum attachment. Only thing is it's a bit too long. Could cut the ends down and re-glue with some kind of epoxy. If you have a drill press handy, drill a bunch of holes in it. You could slide it beneath the seat and through the back of the back rest. That way air is only coming out the side you want cooled.

I watched too much MacGyver as a kid...

I was thinking of using either some rubber hose or something like ice maker line to support it but the mesh allows for air flow even with pressure allegedly up 275 lbs. But crappy fans are the limiting factor. I am really leaning toward a blower assembly even if it needs to be mounted in the console...rear air anyone?

I'm telling you.... Cool the air with TECs. You'll need much less air to achieve he same thing and a much cooler butt. The good oems all use TECs. They are cheap and reliable and combined with heat sinks integrate nicely with 12v computer fans.

Cooling the air is unnecessary as the vent from the AC under the seat already supplies cold air no need to add complexity to it. Right now air delivery is my main concern, not much luck finding fans with a significant amount of static pressure.

Going to make a trip to the junkyard soon to see what kind of blower I can find small enough to use either under the seat or somewhere else.

So I may have stumbled onto a decent blower...it is for a computer of sorts lol! I will find out when it arrives just how strong it is but it looks promising. For anyone keeping score this little beauty is an oem computer/fuse cooler for BMW/Mercedes cars/suvs. For $11 I will give it a shot and see what it can do, if it does what I need there are many more on ebay to match it!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.19000707a9378dd7bdc8a77bf5e15c4b.jpg

Archived