LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 clutch recommendations

My daily driver is slipping occasionally now. I've got a Cobb Stage 2, UP, DP, and AVO air filter. I don't plan on going any further. I'm looking for reliability. I don't launch or track.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Brian

PS: any recommendations on a good installer in MA also?

I have great luck with Spec Clutches, a 2+ is what's recommended. PM Underdog, and ask him and buy from him, he's close to you.

You'll need a smfw too. Underdog can get you everything you need for a good price. Get the 8 FW bolts too. As they are different then yours in the dmfw.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey Brian. Got your PM but figured I'd answer here. My buddy bought your '92 Legacy back in '07, in case you forgot.

Anyways, for stage 2 daily driving in the Boston area I would definitely go with the OEM SMFW clutch kit w/ corresponding flywheel. No need to pay extra for the bolts in my opinion. Unfortunately I no longer sell OEM and I'm no longer living in metro west (or working on cars currently for that matter) so your best bet is to find a shop that will let you bring the parts or understands the SMFW clutch conversion (literally remove and replace). A few shops relatively nearby:

BrenTuning in Charlton MA

Enhanced Street Performance in Sterling MA

Kinetic in Hampstead NH

Motive Auto Works in Woburn MA

Please note I have only worked with the first two (and can recommend them). I haven't done business with either of the later two but they have good reputations.

If you end up looking at an aftermarket clutch shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do for pricing for you. I will likely be at a disadvantage versus other online retailers since I have to collect sales tax on in-state transactions, but I'll do my best.

Underdog,

1) Oh I remember. I miss her ('92) every day. Please tell me she's still running? :redface:

2) It sounds like I'll need the clutch, flywheel, throw-out bearing, bolts (might as well if they're cheap enough, right?). Anything else? Has anyone been kind enough to list the part numbers?

Thanks,

Brian

Single Mass Flywheel ("SMFW", comes w/ new pilot bearing) - 12342AA090 - Qty.1

SMFW Bolts (Optional) - 800410070 - Qty.8

SM Friction Disc - 30100AA883 - Qty.1

SM Pressure Plate - 30210AA690 - Qty.1

Pressure Plate Bolts (Optional) - 800508310 - Qty.6

SM Throw-out Bearing - 30502AA120 - Qty.1

Regarding the '92... I wish I could say yes, but he was fresh out of college and couldn't afford to maintain her like she deserved. :(

1) Underdog. You were able post those part numbers in less than 5 minutes! (I'm Not Worthy!)

2) I just ordered the parts from a local Online dealer: discountoeparts.com

Their prices were good but, I had to pay MA sales tax - UGH. I called to confirm the availability. Steve told me that without a VIN number I wouldn't be able to return them. Since these are not stock for a '05 my VIN wouldn't help, right? I hope they don't sell me junk. :confused:

If you look at the part numbers for a 2005 and a 2007 GT the FW have the same part number. Which is the same as the FW for a 2009. Which is the same p/;n Underdog gave you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I can't speak to their policy of not accepting returns on parts that don't match your VIN. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, as long as the parts are new/unused. Maybe they mean they can't warranty them?

Here are the part numbers for the two different setups:

Item || MY05-06 (Dual Mass Setup) || MY07-09 (Single Mass Setup)

Flywheel || 12345AA010 || 12342AA090

Flywheel Bolts (qty.8) || 800410020 || 800410070

Friction Disc || 30100AA810 || 30100AA883

Pressure Plate || 30210AA550 || 30210AA690

Pressure Plate Bolts (qty.6) || 800508310 || 800508310

Throwout Bearing || 30502AA120 || 30502AA120

Slave Cylinder (not req'd for conversion) || 30620AA142 || 30620AA191

I plugged in the car info on the site he linked us too. they give the same part number for the FW for 2005-2009. May be they figured out that the SMFW is the way to go ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Underdog for all the part numbers!

I got the clutch replaced yesterday. I don't know if it's the different part but the force needed to press the clutch pedal is less. That's nicer for stop-and-go traffic and faster shifts.

Unrelated but, I needed to have the front bar endlinks replaced. They broke off as the new clutch was coming out. :eek: I wonder how long before they would've done that while I was driving?

Archived