LegacyGT.com

Loss of power after dead battery over vacation

Hey guys relatively new to the forums, lurking for a few months. I have a 5eat 05 gt with a recently rebuilt motor that had a cell die on the battery over florida vacation.

After replacing the battery the car had a noticeable loss in power, so I did some troubleshooting. I bought a GS TMIC, a new BPV, and a new samco bpv hose (due to what appears to be leaks in all three), as well as ziptied and checked many of the vacuum hoses after a homemade boost test. None of this affected the loss in power.

I did some data logs of acceleration and it seems my MAP only makes it to atmospheric pressure, and I hear no turbo spooling, though I'm not sure how loud it will be as it is the stock turbo. My max MAF reading has been 72 g/s :icon_sad:

Any thoughts? could my wastegate be stuck open?

accelmap.csv

I have a bluetooth obdII for this car that doesn't have IAM/DAM. What you see in the data log is all I am capable of doing at the moment.I do have the ross-tech cable for my 2.7tt, but I think that takes some tweaking that I don't want to get into at the moment, since I'll buy an AP at some point.

That being said, I don't believe the learning would be preventing boost completely, like these logs suggest, but I confess a certain newbie ignorance to subarus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

and I hear no turbo spooling, though I'm not sure how loud it will be as it is the stock turbo

ive always been curious on this. can you hear the stock turbo, with stock intake, stock intercooler, and stock turbo back exhaust?

im having some issues with lack of power as well, i dont have a boost gauge installed yet. noticed i couldnt hear the turbo spooling (which i can hear on every other turbo car ive owned). its a new turbo, so i shouldnt be too worried. unless i have clogged cats causing the issue, and thats causing the lack of power and back pressure keeping it from spooling? its possible to have clogged cats and not throw a code isnt it?

These cares are very quiet stock (they are catered to the grown up who don't want to hear the cars), I don't remember hearing my turbo stock either.

Why was the turbo replaced? There is a good chance that your banjo filters are clogged and are starving the new turbo.

If you have an OBD2 reader like Tactrix or cheap ebay one, you can use romraider to see what boost your hitting without a boost gauge.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Wow, pieces of cat stuck in the turbo? No bueno! Get that up-pipe cat out of there, or at least whats left of it. If that was the extent of the issues, then I'd count myself pretty lucky. Hope the rest of it didn't harm anything. Props for sticking it out and figuring that one out. How's it running now?

These cares are very quiet stock (they are catered to the grown up who don't want to hear the cars), I don't remember hearing my turbo stock either.

Why was the turbo replaced? There is a good chance that your banjo filters are clogged and are starving the new turbo.

If you have an OBD2 reader like Tactrix or cheap ebay one, you can use romraider to see what boost your hitting without a boost gauge.

When I bought the car, it has a knock. Thought it was timing belt tensioner but still heard it...sounded like it was coming from cold side of turbo, so I pulled the turbo. It has some slight shaft play, and thrust play so I replaced it (removed filters at that point) with an oem vf40. Still hear knocking, but that's a diff story lol.

But yeah, just wondering if the spool was noticeable.

Yeah rocky, I got really lucky that i didnt damage the turbo,(albeit cat pieces breaking off are unlucky to begin with) I spent a few hours knocking out the substrate in the uppipe and put a new (larger) turbo in and a GS bcs. Set wgdc to 0 and my first wot pull was 289 g/s with no knock on otherwise stock ROM. Have to dial in the wgdc for ramp up and probably tune the boost a point or two higher on the top end, since the new turbo isn't capable of making 10 psi @ 5800 (bare minimum @ 0 wgdc is 12.5)

Archived