LegacyGT.com

new owners...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't matter what I do with my wallet. My OBXT is currently car #5 in my garage.

The fact is what it is. Most people come here AFTER they've made the purchase and AFTER they've had a problem. Then they get your warm welcome of a post as a greeting. It's just not very courteous. And it's not productive. You will never meet your "goal" with your method.

You guys can carry on and keep complaining about new owners and I'll keep complaining about old owners. It's the old owners problems that all of us new owners are getting stuck with, right?

Have a great day.

if you join this site after purchase just looking for help with a problem - thats fine, just dont be a whiny baby when people post links to threads with the answer expecting you to do a little figuring out on your own... the subaru crowd has changed a lot over the past 5 years IMO. glad to be here though, lol ;)

My last post in this thread just to be clear about my point. I absolutely agree 100% with there being a problem with new people not taking the time to research their issues. (and I don't feel like I am one of them)

I just don't agree with the way that you guys handle it by posting these threads to bash all noobs that come in with a problem because their crystal ball didn't tell them it would happen.

I liked your post cBax, I understand what your are saying. But even though I am new to Subaru's(this being the first I've owned). But not new to cars I have a little more respect and understanding for what the OG's of the forum are saying, I have been on other forums.

When I first came to the forum. I did so to research on the car I was thinking about buying(to be honest I really just looked at modding stuff). I didn't even scrape the surface of knowledge that is on this board, until after I had purchased my car and was looking for maintenance tips, and modding options. By the time I truly realized what I was getting into it was too late, as I had driven +2k to get the car home.

The horror stories, rebuilds, and failure post I had read on this forum in the first month of me owning my car were just crazy, but the more post I read, the more I truly believe that a lot of the new owners/honda kids that have moved onto a legacy have done so without really looking into what they were getting into. Without searching but then post stuff like my car is making this sound/or this is not working....help!!!! Over and over again it gets to be more then annoying. Especially when it can be found on the board.

I do think that the OG's could point new users in the right direction a little nicer, but new users could also try to search before beating a dead horse with a question that has been answered 100's of times over on this board alone.

Interestingly enough, by the time a noobie finds this section, they have already blown the motor or had a turbo fail or bot an ebay turbo. They are, usually, in over their heads financially and feeling the stress of spending alot of money to fix their car. Regardless of what the OG's tell them, they are looking for a quick fix.

The number of stickied threads describing how to fix something is long. The number of noobies who read them before posting a "help I blew my engine" thread is nearly zero.

I'm guessing the noobies who have found this thread were searching for "new owner" ?

If you have something to offer on how to make it easier for newbies to get the info they seek without searching, drop me a line. In the meantime, if you run across a thread where a newbie is having a hard time, feel free to refer them to a fix. When you do that, send me the post link. I'll see what I can do to make it easier to figure how to present it simpler.

As for OG's venting in here, thanks for all you do to make this site what it is. I've seen all of you on other threads helping new & old. I've benefited more than once over the years. Thanks! :cool:

• Moderators

While I agree mostly with what cBax says, also look at post count. It doesn't mean anything in itself, and certainly doesn't entitle us "OGs" to be dicks, but just think about it...

I and several others have over 10k posts here. How many times do you think we have answered the same questions? How many times do you think I have looked up a part number because someone else is too lazy to call a dealership on their own or do a simple google search?

Personally, I try to be helpful as often as possible, BUT sometimes requests / questions come off so lazy that you just lash out a bit. Maybe folks will "learn" to try a bit harder before asking the same old questions, but most likely not.

Welcome to the internet, and also welcome to the reality of truly owning a used or well used turbo subaru. Buck up, put your big boy pants on, and get ready for the ride. It won't all be pretty.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The research that I did prior to buying my LGT was the same type of research I did before buying cars in the 1980s (before the web) which included actually talking to car owners. Although I lurked and searched on this site for 6 months before my purchase, I learned a lot from Subaru talking to car owners and techs. It's not just an internet thing, many people just don't put in the time and effort to research something before they buy it.

Interestingly enough, by the time a noobie finds this section, they have already blown the motor or had a turbo fail or bot an ebay turbo. They are, usually, in over their heads financially and feeling the stress of spending alot of money to fix their car. Regardless of what the OG's tell them, they are looking for a quick fix.

The number of stickied threads describing how to fix something is long. The number of noobies who read them before posting a "help I blew my engine" thread is nearly zero.

I'm guessing the noobies who have found this thread were searching for "new owner" ?

If you have something to offer on how to make it easier for newbies to get the info they seek without searching, drop me a line. In the meantime, if you run across a thread where a newbie is having a hard time, feel free to refer them to a fix. When you do that, send me the post link. I'll see what I can do to make it easier to figure how to present it simpler.

As for OG's venting in here, thanks for all you do to make this site what it is. I've seen all of you on other threads helping new & old. I've benefited more than once over the years. Thanks! :cool:

This is a great gesture! Glad to see this thread heading in a more positive/constructive direction!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Hey, I've been in the car business 33 years. 29 of those in fixed operations. I'm a ASE Master tech (means only that I can pass a test). I have never loved a car more than my 05 gt limited. I bought it for 5500 below book with a blown turbo. I have spent over 7k in parts in a year and a half. So. I am upside down but Me and my gt have an intimate relationship I wouldn't trade. To be clear though being rude serves no purpose ever.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't find myself to be rude, a little harsh perhaps but not rude. Rude is coming in here asking for answers without due diligence of research first, or use of automotive common sense, or when a senior member tells you answers but you want to not listen and complain about their answers or advice because it hurts your virgin car nube ears.

Just throwing this out here, Obviously a newbie (looks at post count). I understand that some people here have different viewpoints and backgrounds and all that good stuff, but I have to say something.

I just picked my 05 LGT up a little over a month ago. I'm fairly mechanically inclined (done engine swaps on an 06 GTI and my 02 RSX) but I'm not a technician by any means and I need help figuring out how to do stuff. This compounds itself when this is my first boxer engine.

I'm fortunate enough to know people with Subaru's and even worked at a Subaru dealership for 6 months (I sling parts for a living :p ) so I did have a general idea about what they are.

I would say that some of the information on here can be a little difficult to find, but the general important info is all super easy to find. I haven't even had to use the search function to find any basic info that a new(er) owner would need. I 100% agree that much of the problem is laziness, but that still doesn't excuse rudeness on part of the OG's. The latter is one reason I was never on Honda forums, even when I owned a Honda.

To end this novel I just want to thank everyone on here that has been awesome and forward with the sharing of information. I know it can be extremely time consuming to write up a DIY, especially when doing dirty work. Just try and have patience with some of those not blessed with much common sense :hide:

Been seeing quite a few " what wheels fit my car" threads lately and frankly its beginning to get annoying. Its not rocket science and its been covered too many times. If its too hard to search here search somewhere else! Google was made for searching and will most likely lead here anyway.

Been seeing quite a few " what wheels fit my car" threads lately and frankly its beginning to get annoying. Its not rocket science and its been covered too many times. If its too hard to search here search somewhere else! Google was made for searching and will most likely lead here anyway.

But I have been looking for OVER an HOUR and can't find the answer to my question.

Will 18x9et30 fit with 215/40/18?

see the one with the guy who spent 2500 on a warranty for a 10yo car and the clutch went out/not covered? :lol:

I did not, be that deserves a trophy! I mean a real deal trophy, someone that has a welder and can fabricate a trinket of sorts, I will pay the flat rate shipping to mail that man a trophy!

Archived