LegacyGT.com

Gasoline smell

So i noticed this about a month back or so. When i start my car i smelt gasoline. It would go away in about 5 minutes from the car starting. Smell wasnt to bad, so i didnt think anything of it. I went snowboarding yesterday in the mountains and soon as i got back in my car it smelled like i had an open tank in my car. I called john here on these forums who builds turbos. As he has given me great advice. He said he had the same problem. It was the fuel pump. In turn it also affected his acceleration as well as performance in general. Mine has not felt as powerful as a couple months ago when i bought it. And i went from a full tank dropped a quarter tank in 1 hr. Would love to here thoughts and opinions please. Thanks

• Moderators

Nothing about a fuel pump going bad would create a smell unless it's the gasket that is closing off the pump housing from inside the car (found under the rear seat).

These cars have a problem with the fuel line clamps loosening up a bit over time, creates fuel smell in cold weather. That would be my guess.

BUT, you seem to indicate the smell is quite strong. Because of that I would definitely be careful and do some investigating to see if you have a full-on leak somewhere or the fuel pump gasket is bad (not likely tho, it's a big piece of rubber IIRC).

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Nothing about a fuel pump going bad would create a smell unless it's the gasket that is closing off the pump housing from inside the car (found under the rear seat).

These cars have a problem with the fuel line clamps loosening up a bit over time, creates fuel smell in cold weather. That would be my guess.

BUT, you seem to indicate the smell is quite strong. Because of that I would definitely be careful and do some investigating to see if you have a full-on leak somewhere or the fuel pump gasket is bad (not likely tho, it's a big piece of rubber IIRC).

It was really bad when i came from the mountain im assuming due to the cold. As for this morning it was way less pungent.

It's the fuel line clamps behind the oil filler tube. Look back down there you'll see a fuel line going to the injector on #2 cylinder. You should see a gas stain.

I think in my click here link we may see pictures of how I fix mine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mine was leaking at the sending unit on top of the tank. I could wipe the top of the sending unit off so it was completely dry and in 5 minutes, it was completely wet with fuel again on the plastic top.

It was bad enough that it would leak out onto the ground and cause a small puddle if the tank was full.

Mine was leaking at the sending unit on top of the tank. I could wipe the top of the sending unit off so it was completely dry and in 5 minutes, it was completely wet with fuel again on the plastic top.

It was bad enough that it would leak out onto the ground and cause a small puddle if the tank was full.

So what's the fix?

lock wire, see my link.

When the engine or intake manifold is off, flip it over and rotate the clamps so you can tighten them from the top side.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Had the same issue a few months ago. Mine was leaking underneath the intake manifold. When I started it in the morning, I would open the hood to see where the smell is coming from. Found a few drops under this hose that was causing it. Took the intake manifold off to tighten all the clamps to prevent it from doing it again.

1055613112_FuelLine.thumb.jpg.542945b52e5c03e0397a5d34bf91e91b.jpg

My wife's balls are delicious.

I had to replace the entire in tank sending unit. The plastic was breaking down and allowing the fuel to permeate the plastic.

The fuel line under the intake manifold is a known problem but on the phone you said you were smelling it heavily in the interior and that's how mine was. I could find a puddle on the ground in front of the LR tire from the sending unit.

• 1 year later...
my fuel tank is also leaking ( only with a full tank ). dealership told me I needed a new fuel tank. is the pump seals/ sending unit seals failing common? or do you think my tank is in fact rotted? there is good size puddle under my car when i fill the tank all the way and can smell it in the car

People have been reporting a problem with the sending unit developing a crack. Anecdotally, seems to be happening more commonly (age of the car?) and people located in the colder regions of the country (environment?). You would need to replace the housing. Seems that similar parts from other Subaru models may be compatible.

There is a separate problem related to fuel lines under the intake manifold. These can develop cracks with age and heat. Seems to affect cars in the colder regions.

There's no way to really know without inspecting your particular car. I wanted you to know the fuel leak problems that have been more commonly reported here. If the dealer told you the fuel tank itself was faulty, maybe they can clarify what they saw, but I'd be inclined to believe them unless you can inspect it yourself. Risk of fire is high.

I don't believe the dealership, they told me it needed a bunch of stuff but then failed to mention a few things that i already know about. i pulled up my rear seat and it seams it is a bad housing. the fuel pump housing is it on the left side or the right side? my leak is on the right side. I have to wait till tommorow to really get that area clean ( a mouse decided to make a home under there) then i can take a better picture/ get a better look

Archived